Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CVT bad?? RMPS just dropped while driving FAST

OK any clue to what this was??

Well i was going 80 and pushed it. hit about 100... then the car seems to just stay at that speed and i have gone 127 once before just testing it out.... So i tried the S setting on the CVT went to 105 then L went to 115 and then the RPM's went from 6 to 4 and would not accelerate and slowed to 90 or so and would not go faster.... OH and the gas gauge said i used 1/4 of the tank in 4 min but now the car will not register full anymore when i fill up..

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I guess my question to you would be why shift to S and L at that speed? After all, they dont stand for Speed and Light-speed?

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
115 in L !!!!

I assume you are talking KPH, right?

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Wow! PPeter78 is in Florida so it must be MPH. Excellent way to damage everything in your MO!

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
We've all been led to believe the engine management and fly-by-wire will prevent the engine and transmission taking damage.

I thought the Mo was restricted to 116 mph.

·
4,664 Posts
L S D

They're all just different software programs. However, I don't know about shifting into L at speed..

I've taken my MO to 120 km/h in L and it just keeps the revs up in the powerband. But I've not been brave(?) enough to put it into L at that speed....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gone 127

i have gone 127... and well i dont know what the s or the l really does... but i just thought it raised the rpms giving your faster acceleration... but i have done this before to get the speed that high.... this time is just dropped out rpms dropped off car would not go seemed liked the rpms got STUCK at 4k for 10 sec even with foot off the gas... then i drove the rest of the way at around 100 mph and i got 190 miles off one tank of gas like 8mpg and clue what this is about?

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
My guess is the engine governor kicked in to avoid damage.

Are you really surprised you got low MPG when pulling speeds like that?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well that low ya i was not conserned what ever.. i was in a hurry but the gov on nissans normal keep the car at the same speed but dont slow them...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Does this also happen if you just leave it in D or Ds? Seems like you found a CVT programming glitch that makes the vehicle behave strangely. Or maybe its not a glitch and the behavior you report is a way the CVT and engine management system is protecting itself from hard operation.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
At 115mph, thats pretty close to the speed limiter for the T-rated 118mph tires. Sounds like it was indeed the limiter.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Eric L. said:
At 115mph, thats pretty close to the speed limiter for the T-rated 118mph tires. Sounds like it was indeed the limiter.
My thoughts exactly. I was wondering how he could have possibly hit 127 with the well-known limiter at 118. Even if he changed the tire size (and he'd have to go down to get a higher-than-acutal displayed speed), I still think the limiter would have cut him off once the speedometer showed 118.

I think a few of us are wondering how ppeter got to 127...

:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yeah I am not sure how you can get to 127mph either with the limiter at 118. That would be a ~10% error if the speedometer was really optimistic.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Does anyone really think the MO could go 127? As much as I love the MO I can't even being to image the stability of the MO at a speed like that (if its enen possible). Not to call anyone here but I don't think the MO hit 127.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can tell you a bit about mileage and stability at prolonged 95-100mph. I had the opportunity to get about 2 hours at that speed on twisty, hilly paved roads with plenty of frost heaves(which result in repeated strong compressions of the suspension). The surface condition of the pavement was quite good.

Stability and handling was very good, never felt any lack of control at all. It maintained that speed pretty easily, RPMs climbed only when the Mo climbed or I stuck my foot right into it on exiting curves. I liked my Mo before this episode, stronger emotions now! It handled like a champ.

MPG: dropped, not surprisingly, to 15.5 indicated, 15.3 actual. Excellent mileage IMO for that sort of workout. If I'd tried it in the Durango, I would have gotten 8mpg until such time as I rolled it into the ditch.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Bruno - with that kind of spirited driving, you would really notice and appreciate how well the Murano handles with upgraded tires...eg Yokohama HTS G052's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tired are rated for 129

I know that i drove the car 127 becuase i said Oh wow look it almost goes the same speed as my last car 02 altima se auto the max on the auto is 129.

Also my tired are rated for 129, i think. When i got the car i looked it up. BUT after my small problem i was able later that night to get the car up to 120 but it takes time and it was black on 75 crossing the glads so i did not want to keep it nailed that long.

Next i found something in the owners manul that says if your freak your car out it will go into fail safe. I remember the deal telling me this last time with my altima from FAST driving. Read section 5-10 or around there and you should see what im talking about. Lost power on the car.. Speed droped and could not accelarate. But i pulled over and turned off the car then back on and it drove ok.

NOW the problem is durring this FREAK OUT the cars gas guage moved 1/4 a tank of gas. Now i though it just used way too much gas or something.... But no the gas gauage broke. Now wheni fill up the guage does not register full. missing 1/4 a tank so it is off to the dealer....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just so you know the dumb ass dealer was shocked my car goes that fast they said they though the limiter was at 100 mph... I was like umm no or my car is broken.... Maybe there is a overall issue with the car letting me go faster theni should causing things like the fail safe to kick in....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts