Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my Murano in to fix the rear cup holder. It would open on its own when hitting some bumps. They initially thought it would be a quick job. When they pulled out the box with the part they found out differently. The rear cup holder is part of the center storage console behind the shifter and the whole piece, including the carpet behind the running along the driver and passenter inner footwells gets replaced. They showed me the part and I was amazed.

Also the cup holder design was different from what originally came in my Murano and now has a button that you press in to deploy the holder instead of pushing the whole unit in.

They also did the TSB for the door/window rattle, but I don't think it worked. Will have to drive some more to verify this.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wow... that's really strange. I'm glad they fixed the problem, obviously it is something Nissan knows about.

My cupholder has been behaving itself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine behaves fine too but I took one look at that thing and realized that it is inevitable that someone is going to forget that its open and step on it. It is in a really stupid location. Now that I know that you have to replace half the interior and part of the transmission to replace it I may just glue it shut!

:p

George

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ouch. I think this is stupid design. First off who could reach a cup way down at their feet, when wearing a seat belt? I found that anyone who gets into the back seat accidentally kicks it and it opens. If they are not aware accidents happen. My youngest daughter was getting out of her car seat and stepped on the right cupholder and broke it. I superglued it, then a friend stepped on it and rebroke it. The left one was just stepped on last week, so my back seat has no cup holders. There was a thread for someone who had a police officer break their cup holder and had it fixed along with instructions. I guess I will have to look it up soon.:(

·
4,664 Posts
So let's figure out how to make it open on it's own when going over bumps so we can all get the new design...:p

·
Registered
719 Posts
"So let's figure out how to make it open on it's own when going over bumps so we can all get the new design..."

:2: :2: :2: :2: :2:

I like the way you think!

·
Registered
97 Posts
The designers should have incorporated the cup holders in the fold down arm rest along with a little storage bin. Would have been easy to do and less complicated. My VW Jetta had the rear cup holders in the same spot as the MO. They did'nt last very long.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I still have the Jetta TDI. It's 5 yrs old. No rattles. 100,000 miles, and still gets 55 MPG.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In the same boat as rugiles. I posted the cupholder issue earlier as one of the things I wish they would have changed.

The holder comes open over rough bumps or if you have anything rolling around on the floor(water bottle, etc.). The left one is already broken from a friends kid getting out of the car seat and stepping on it after it's sprung open. And no, they can't reach it with their feet from their seat, it just pops open all the time.

And it's not going to get glued back together, it's in about 4 pieces from a 20lb child stepping on it. Not good to hear it requires replacing the entire console though, this is a lease and NMAC is already a PITA about inspections. I'm going to glue the damn thing shut and tell them it never worked unless there's a TSB released and they'll replace it...

·
Registered
97 Posts
OK I lied. That's 55 MPG for an Imperial gallon. For a US gallon it's more like 52 - 53. Put it this way, it doesn't matter how I drive, highway, city..... I manage to get 900 KM's (550 miles) to a tank of oil and still have a couple of gallons in the tank. The most I got on a tank of gas was on a trip to FLA from Ontario was 1112 KM's (678 miles). And that was with 2 adults, 2 kids, loaded trunk, AC on, and traveling at 73 to 80 MPH.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I knew a guy with a TDI Jetta. He'd travel up and down the east coast on like one tank of gas. EVERYWHERE with very few fill-ups. Amazing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
See TSB # NTB03-014A, dated 20 August 2003.

It specifies that it is not necessary to replace the complete center arm console assembly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JMcDonald said:
See TSB # NTB03-014A, dated 20 August 2003.

It specifies that it is not necessary to replace the complete center arm console assembly.
I think that TSB is only to replace a broken arm on the cupholder itself. My cupholder wouldn't stay shut which I don't think the TSB addresses, but it has been a while since I looked at the TSB. They ordered the new part from Nissan and it was a new center console with a redesigned cup holder. Nissan obviously considers the original design flawed, or they wouldn't have redesigned it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought mine this year (2003) but the back seat had never even been used. WELL, I gave a couple of my frineds a ride home one night and I had left it out. They broke off both cup holder arms and even put the broken pieces in thier pocket so I didn't even know they were broke until recently :( SO, I researched ALOT and it is too much of a pain and cost to replace (and get broke off again) in my opinion. I went through all of the ebay 2003 murano's that were selling used parts from a totaled out murano and I found one for $50 plus shipping (no thanks). Well, a light bulb went off in my head. I went to the local auto parts store and asked if I could take the grip (at the bottom type) cupholder out to my car to see if it works. Well Thank God it does and $5.89 later I have an adjustable cup holder in the rear again. I just replaced one for now because I barely use it back there, but it can fit two. :)
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/HOP9/RETROCHA.oap?ck=Search_N0320_HOP_-1_-1&mn=Hopkins+Manufacturing&mc=HOP&pt=N0320&ppt=C0092
Hopkins brand retro cup holder works.... Good Luck and save your money!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts