Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase (cash) a new 2006 SL AWD with Touring, Traction Package, and Nav (Black), what are the current ranges over or below invoice I can expect (I'm buying in Central NJ). I have a dealer which has to offer me $100 over invoice (due to my employers negotiated prices with the dealer), is that still good or is the car selling for under invoice? I also have time and am not in a ruch to purchase the car "today" and want to know what's best. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jmmsumru-

As a point of reference, six months ago I purchased (cash) a 2005 SL AWD from Pine Belt Nissan (Toms River, NJ) for $857 below invoice. At the time Nissan was offering $500 cash back.

I spent several months shopping for the Murano and numerous hours sitting with salesmen from at least 6 dealerships. The first place I went to offered me $100 off the MSRP. My efforts enabled me to save just over three grand from that initial offer.

If you have the time, take your current offer to another dealer and ask him to beat it. You have nothing to lose.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure what the invoice was but Lynne's West in Stanhope quoted me 3900 off an SL AWD Touring with leather. Sticker 36,200.

·
Registered
216 Posts
neo said:
I purchased my 2003 in 2003 for 500 below invoice. You can do better.
Such generalized statements don't do anyone any good. Perhaps when you purchased yours there was customer or dealer cash available, perhaps your trade was undervalued so they could show a below invoice purchase price, perhaps your finance rate was marked up or perhaps you paid an expensive dealer fee to make up for your under invoice "sales price."

My point is that what happened three years ago has little to do with what you can do today. The internet is full of people expressing their opinions with little regard for the facts.

Fact: There is no customer cash or dealer cash. Fact: there are no special finance rates (only special lease rates). Fact: inventory of '06 models has not been out long enough for a dealer to want to let one go at a loss.

If you are getting one for less than invoice, it is more likely than not that the dealer is just shifting numbers around to make it look like you are getting something you are not.

Yes, getting an '05 below invoice is very possible, given available incentives, but not an '06.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jmmsumru-

$100 over invoice is a good deal but you may be able to do better.

The dealer holdback is approximately $600. So at this point there is $700 on the table to play with.

Since you indicated you are in no rush to buy the car I suggest you go to a different dealer, tell him you have a firm quote from another dealer, and give him the opportunity to beat it. If he can then you just saved $XXX.

You have nothing to lose.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK the facts. I spoke to 4 dealers via the internet in July of 2003 to get the best price. No Manufacturer incentives at the time since it was 1st year model. No mention of trade in I always negotiate purchase price up front. I paid $100 dealer fee abofe the normal destination, title and tags. What I was trying to convey was that if I could get $500 below invoice during the 1st model year it should be easy to do as good if not better now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just picked up an 06 Murana SL w/NAV from Windsor Nissan

I paid $35,700 for a platinum Murano SL from Windsor nissan in east windsor...I got the following:

NAV
Touring Pkg
VSC
floor mats and all season floor mats
sunroof wind deflector
splash guards
cargo area protector...

Pretty much everything except rear dvd unit..which I'm going to get aftermarket. I had to wait a few wks for the car due to the platinum color, but finally picked it up yesterday.

Email me and I can let you know the dealer I worked with at Windsor Nissan.

NH

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just signed off on a deal for a lease on a new Murano.
Monthly nut was a bit too much to swallow right now to [urchase so I got a 42 month lease.

First step was to narrow down to one vehicle... I was looking at various ones from Subaru Tribeca B9, Mountaineer, Explorer, GMC Envoy, Chevy Equinox, Chevy Trailblazer, Toyota RAV4, etc.

Feared american cars too much so that narrowed it down a LOT!
Liked the Subaru but didn't have enough get up and go.
RAV4 suprised me but I am 6'4", need I say more?

Once I sat in a demo 05 with touring package I knew that was probably the one... still had to research it... then configure it.

Decided on:

2006 Murano SL AWD
Touring Package
Dynamic Control Package
Navigation Package
Splash Guards
Roof Rack Cross Bars
Cargo Area Protector
Sunroof Wind Deflector
Mats
Silver Exterior, Black Interior

Next I researched the heck out of it online from consumer reports to edmunds to this very site. Found out all pricing. Got quotes from tons of dealers and tons of online sites that simply forwarded my info to the same dealers I had already contacted myself. Funny thing is that I was in touch with more than one person at many dealerships via different channels. That is a whole other story...

Next was to come to an agreement on cap cost.
MSRP was 38925
Got it down to 34329 (including destination fee of $605)
However, as there always seems to be, a bit more "fees" such as:
soft adds $159 (was told this was for window etching)
tax $1,029.28
aquisition fee $550
Bringing my Gross Cap Cost to $36,066.
After a cash reduction of $531
Net Cap: $35,534.85
About 1,200 more than what I "bargained" for... however, still about $1,200 under invoice at a time when there are no real incentives.
Then there were the charges which just seem to occur regardless...
documentation fee of 198
registration fee 347

Using the lease formula of monthly payment = depreciation plus finance charges... I came up with a lease price of $416 per month.
I put 1,500 down which covered the doc fee, the reg fee, 1st month and another 500 I could not account for but I figured I had worked so much with this poor salesmen who I hammered down and down and down, that I could let that go...

I think I worked hard on the research end and came up with a pretty good deal, so I am sure that you too can work out a deal that is below dealer invoice. Just do your homework and shop around.

The vehicle is currently listed as "In Transit" and I can not wait until I go pick it up!!!

Any tips you may have for me as an almost new MO driver, please feel free to let me know!

Looking forward to keeping an active membership on the site.

Larry

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Larry-

Where did you get the invoice numbers? With a dealer hold-back of approximately $600 and zero incentives at this time, it would be a losing proposition for the dealer to give $1,200 under invoice.

-njjoe

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought an 05 SL with Tech package, Premium Package, and various other accessories totaling about $400 for around 32k, sticker was $37,355.

My lease including CA tax of 7.75% is 400 per month for 42 months with 15,000 miles. I paid 1235.00 at delivery including first mo. payment, registration, and bank fee (which I know is BS but let it go).

·
Registered
17 Posts
NJJOE,
I got invoice pricng from a variety of places, most of which verified the same or very similar information:
My sources were:
consumerreports.com new car report ($12)
edmunds.com infopak
carsdirect.com and another website or two which escape me at the moment (I have been to dozens and dozens of sites researching my deal I can't remember which ones had invoice prices other than those three I mentioned).
I gave these numbers to other dealers all of whom were shocked. The dealership I worked with said they were dipping below their own invoice to "earn my business". Well, they sure did. In all my research it also seems that since the dealer acts as the leasing agent for the lease company that they also get a piece from that as well, which might allow for them to go lower than dealer holdback.

Larry

·
Registered
6 Posts
dealers get paid a participation fee from banks whether they finance the car or lease the car. the amount depends on the bank. usually it is between 300 and 500 dollars. then the dealer can also mark up the interest rate and they make the extra profit.

i.e. - nissan is offering an unrestricted rate of .00150 on leases. a dealer may charge you a money factor of .00200 on the lease and keep the extra, which would amount to a couple hundred bucks. obviously, the more they can mark it up the more they make. some rates are not eligible for dealer mark-up, so those you know you're not getting taken on. or make them show you the book rates from their lease table pocket book. the one in the binder they show is bs too.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Larry-

I knew that sounded like an extraordinary deal. Even the other dealers were shocked!

Your deal is proof that it definitely pays for the buyer to research the car and take the necessary time to contact more than just one or two dealers. Too many people will just work with the local dealer, which puts them in a very poor bargaining position.

When you consider there are car buyers who feel satisfied paying even $100 below MSRP, getting your MO $1,200 below invoice is a damn good deal.

Good luck with your new MO.

Seeing that it is in-transit, it will be interesting to see if it already has the new gas-tank shield installed.

-njjoe

·
Registered
17 Posts
NJJOE,
I was wondering about that gas tank too after reading about it here.
Wasn't sure if my dealer would know about it or be able to give me the correct answer. Think they should put it on the lift before I take her home???

RUBELL,
The money factor I got was .00094 or 2.256%. Since I have not picked up the vehicle, I fear that there could be some switcheroo last minute or something... we'll see.
But using the standard lease formula mentioned above I was able to verify that that money factor is also the one used on the current lease deal which expires at the end of January.

The deal is on the site but I am sure will be gone once February hits, so here it instead of the link, is to veryify the figures and the formula.

2006 Murano SL AWD w/ Touring Pkg, Splash Guard, Cargo Protect, Sunroof Wind Deflector & mats Lease - 42 MONTHS - $359/MONTH - $2,399/INITIAL PAYMENT

Excludes taxes, title, and license. $2,399 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $2,040 consumer down payment, $359 first month payment, $0 security deposit).

2006 Murano SL AWD w/ Touring Pkg, Splash Guards, Cargo Protect, Sunroof Wind Deflector & mats model 7816 subject to availability to qualified lessees through Nissan-Infiniti LT. $36,175 MSRP includes destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $32,215 includes a $550 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $15,078.00. At lease end, purchase for $19,172.75, plus $150 purchase option fee (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear and tear plus $0.15 per mile for mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. See participating Dealer for details. Offer ends 1/31/2006.

The type of person I am though, in addition to the last minute switcheroo fear, I also have this fear that all of a sudden, February will hit and another better deal will be offered. But once I finally get behind the wheel, it will all be better :).

Larry

·
Registered
6 Posts
i'm on a .00065 money factor for the 42 month lease through Nissan Credit. dealer said it would have been .00050 if i was a prior customer too. but it sounds like you got a heck of a deal anyway so i wouldn't worry about it over $20 bucks a month :).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Larry said:

2006 Murano SL AWD
Touring Package
Dynamic Control Package
Navigation Package
Splash Guards
Roof Rack Cross Bars
Cargo Area Protector
Sunroof Wind Deflector
Mats
Silver Exterior, Black Interior

Next I researched the heck out of it online from consumer reports to edmunds to this very site. Found out all pricing. Got quotes from tons of dealers and tons of online sites that simply forwarded my info to the same dealers I had already contacted myself. Funny thing is that I was in touch with more than one person at many dealerships via different channels. That is a whole other story...

Next was to come to an agreement on cap cost.
MSRP was 38925
Got it down to 34329 (including destination fee of $605)
However, as there always seems to be, a bit more "fees" such as:
soft adds $159 (was told this was for window etching)
tax $1,029.28
aquisition fee $550
Bringing my Gross Cap Cost to $36,066.
After a cash reduction of $531
Net Cap: $35,534.85
About 1,200 more than what I "bargained" for... however, still about $1,200 under invoice at a time when there are no real incentives.
Then there were the charges which just seem to occur regardless...
documentation fee of 198
registration fee 347

Using the lease formula of monthly payment = depreciation plus finance charges... I came up with a lease price of $416 per month.
I put 1,500 down which covered the doc fee, the reg fee, 1st month and another 500 I could not account for but I figured I had worked so much with this poor salesmen who I hammered down and down and down, that I could let that go...

Larry
This is a really good deal, but it is not being sold at a loss. Since this vehicle is still inbound to the dealer (and not yet in stock), the entire holdback amount can go towards profit or lowering the selling price.

True invoice on this car (invoice-holdback) is $34,300. The widow etching costs them $10, so the $159 they are charging is almost pure profit. So they are making a bit of money on this deal, and I am surprised they would be willing to let it go for this.

Now, the current 42 month lease promotion sets the lease rate at .00079. For the 42 month term, the dealer is not allowed to mark the rate up (he can for the other terms).

The $550 acquisition fee (or bank fee) is a 100% legitimate charge that Nissan charges the dealer (and thus the customer) for leasing through NMAC. It can either be paid at the start of the lease or rolled into the cap cost (like it is here).

If the security deposit is not waived because of either a promotion through NMAC or you are a return customer, it must either be paid at the start of the lease, or it can be waived by marking up the lease rate by .00015.

Now, the dealer will get some money from NMAC for sending the lease to them, but in this case, it will only be about $150 since there is no rate mark-up allowed. Otherwise, the dealer would get about 75% of the value of the marked up rate.

Now, you can lock in this rate until Feb 18th, so it would be possible to wait until the new lease programs come out on the 1st to see if it got any better. Of course by doing that, the dealer will have to start paying floorplanning on this particular Murano (eating into his already slim profit), so I doubt he will let you do that.

I also did a check and there are more than a few Murano's in that color and equipment configuration out there, so you might be able to get the dealer to wait until next month to see if things get better, and then go with another unit. Frankly, I would pull the trigger on this one since I think you are getting a really good deal.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
shappy0869-

Wow! Excellent analysis. :29: I love explanations smothered in facts.

Thanx.

-njjoe

·
Registered
419 Posts
Larry:

Is this for a 12,000 or 15,000 miles?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts