Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to 1st say that i love my car. when i leave it, as i'm walking away, i always turn back and give it a look. i think some of you know what i mean. it is the smoothest and most comfortable car i've ever owned or seen.

but...
after owning this car for exactly 1 month, i am beginning to think that it is cursed (or i am). here's some examples.

i was going to work on a midnight shift and the highway was almost empty. what was wrong was it felt and sounded like i was driving on gravel. up ahead i could see a gravel truck full of asphalt and i realised he was on his way out to some night paving so i got past him as fast as possible to lessen any chance of stone chips. that didn't help cuz the gravel was still all over the road. a little farther up the road was another truck so i gave it some throttle and passed him before damage ensued. damn! is that a cop on my rear? it was a black ghost car with all his lights off and he followed me for almost a kilometre until his whole car lit up and i was forced to pull over. 130 in an 80 zone. expensive. he didn't like my excuse and chided me that the lives of women and children were more important than my new car as speeding kills. okay, i was bad and i will pay the fine.

two days later on my way home i was doing 60k in the slow lane when a rock came off someone's tire, bounced off my hood and hit my windshield square in front of my eyes. now i need a new piece of glass. expensive.

i took my wife to do a drop off and parked in the parking lot away from other cars. as she was getting her items out of the back of the mo an old man pulled up beside me in a new camry with 3 other elders in the back. i'm sitting in the drivers seat and somewhat in shock that they chose to park so close when the woman in the back throws her door open and hits my new passenger side panels with a thump. I yelled and got out to survey the damage. within seconds the old driver does the same thing but only harder. okay, i used a few words at the top of my lungs and called him some nasty things but he gets out and with a blank stare says "it didn't do any damage". then he proceeds to rub my paint with his hand and i could hear the dirt being ground into the paint. arghhh!

a week later i had to take mo back to the dealer since when i took posession she had a scratch on the console aluminum and they were going to replace the piece. I get it back after waiting for 3.5 hours and now the cell phone cubby door won't open and there is grease all over everything. i'm mad at them but they promise to set it straight when i bring it back another day since i just wanted to go home.

next day i take my wife to the grocery store and park in a spot that looks safe while i wait for her to shop. a guy pulls up beside me and is offloading a baby but he's making me nervous so i move the mo to another spot next to a little compact but with good distance between us, or so i thought. this old couple with a baby come out of the store and he goes to put his grandchild in the back seat and his door goes "whump"! of course i yell then run out and around only to see him do it again. i screamed at him to stay perfectly still until i moved my car before he did it again.

today i took my car back to the dealer to get the cell door fixed but instead of waiting, they got me a taxi home. after 4 hours i phone them to confirm it's ready and i order a taxi to head over there. sorry, gotta order a part so we'll call you when it's in and we will need you to bring the car back.

:2:

almost 2 years with my '03 murano and not a scratch but 30 days with the '05 and i'm scared to leave my garage. he heh.
but i can't wait for our holidays when my wife and i will drive over 12,000 k's down through 14 states over a month of blissful murano driving heaven and it will all be worth it!

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Oh man oh man oh man. I'd be tempted to get a concealed weapons permit. Maybe as a deterant you can plaster NRA bumper stickers all over your MO.

Seriously, that sucks. I can't believe how careless people are in parking lots these days. Just be thankful that you were THERE at these times and that you were able to catch these people in the act! Holy cow, I would be LIVID! :3:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Well once you get the initial dings out of the way, the next few dings are not as painful.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well View, I'll say this much, we must be the Corsican Brothers, lol.

About a week after I got my MO, I couldn't get out of the path of a dump truck who happened to hit a bump about 1/4 mile ahead of me. You guessed it, I got my front end showered a bit and took a windshield hit. After I surveyed the chips on the bumper area, I got online and ordered a Colgan Bra. That's saved me a bit more damage, but I still get the occasional chip from a stone coming off of someone's tire in front of me.
Don't feel bad, though, the MO has rather thin paint and chips quite easily. I even found a chip or two in the black trim around my side mirrors. Easy fix - a black, permanent marker, like a Sharpie will do wonders. I also invested in the color matched side moudings which have prevented some door dings, I suppose.
6 months after I had the MO, I was loading the back up for a trip. I went in to the house, closed the garage door automatically, forgot that I had the hatch up and gouged it badly. Body shop tried to buff it out but it was too deep. My solution: 2 miniature USA flag decals to hide the damage. The gouge plagued me terribly until I covered it up and now I don't even think about it.
I also got nailed about 2 months ago doing 85mph in a 55 zone. Since then, I've slowed down quite a bit.

You're not alone though!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
after owning this car for exactly 1 month, i am beginning to think that it is cursed (or i am).
Try putting a clove of garlic on a string and hang it from the mirror.

I wish I a had a solution for the "door bangers." My wife reported a mom and daughter pulled in the gas station with a brand new Armada with the 30-day dealer plates still attached. One of the ladies opens the door "bam" right into one of those concrete poles that surround the gas pump. My wife said she did not blink. She did not even look at the damage she did to her own car. She just gassed up, got back in and left. These people scare me.

Bob1

·
Registered
241 Posts
What ever you do, don't watch Final Destination sounds like your times up, read the signs, you can't escape when it is your time....

I do think the Murano is very funerable to door slammers. I loved the side-steps of my Patrol, I was in stiches when someone slammed their door into that car as THEY ended up with the big dent, not me...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric L. said:
Well once you get the initial dings out of the way, the next few dings are not as painful.
That's so true!
My '03 had a big scratch on the rear bumper when i test drove it and they said that after i took posession that i could bring it in anytime to get repainted. I left that scratch for 7 months before i finally took it in. every friend and family member would point it out to me and I'd just shrug and say, "I like it there because it means the 1st scratch is out of the way and it makes me feel more at peace". Maybe we should just all key our own cars when we pick them up and live life without fear? :crazyeye: :roadtrip:

just kidding.;)

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
It's been 15 months for me, and not one door ding, anywhere. Sure, I have chips of paint off the front of the hood, and I have to get the windshield replaced after the third large rock hit it.....what's funny is, two of the rocks that hit it happened within at least the same 100 feet of freeway that I drive every morning. I had a van get whacked at the same place 2 years ago. Kris, it's about even with the ramp going to 285 north from 85 south. Always in the fast lane, always in the same place. The other one got me on 20 heading west into Atlanta.
But, I have two spots I will park in at work, and the lots? You'll find me a waaaaay out in the boonies. I don't mind the walk, it's good for me.
BTW View, I use your second pic in ur gallery for my desktop, for about a year.
:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got hit again today while waiting in the car for my wife. the culprit saw me but did it anyway. i'm glad that guns aren't available in Canada. I would regret it.

Are people stupid, clumsy or is it they just don't care?
Or maybe they hate Muranos?
:confused:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Viewmont

I probably would be in jail by now for Homicide (Justified) :behead: by now. I honestly think people just don't care, at least until it gets done to them!

·
Registered
54 Posts
viewmont said:
i want to 1st say that i love my car. when i leave it, as i'm walking away, i always turn back and give it a look. i think some of you know what i mean. it is the smoothest and most comfortable car i've ever owned or seen.

but...
after owning this car for exactly 1 month, i am beginning to think that it is cursed (or i am). here's some examples.

i was going to work on a midnight shift and the highway was almost empty. what was wrong was it felt and sounded like i was driving on gravel. up ahead i could see a gravel truck full of asphalt and i realised he was on his way out to some night paving so i got past him as fast as possible to lessen any chance of stone chips. that didn't help cuz the gravel was still all over the road. a little farther up the road was another truck so i gave it some throttle and passed him before damage ensued. damn! is that a cop on my rear? it was a black ghost car with all his lights off and he followed me for almost a kilometre until his whole car lit up and i was forced to pull over. 130 in an 80 zone. expensive. he didn't like my excuse and chided me that the lives of women and children were more important than my new car as speeding kills. okay, i was bad and i will pay the fine.

two days later on my way home i was doing 60k in the slow lane when a rock came off someone's tire, bounced off my hood and hit my windshield square in front of my eyes. now i need a new piece of glass. expensive.

i took my wife to do a drop off and parked in the parking lot away from other cars. as she was getting her items out of the back of the mo an old man pulled up beside me in a new camry with 3 other elders in the back. i'm sitting in the drivers seat and somewhat in shock that they chose to park so close when the woman in the back throws her door open and hits my new passenger side panels with a thump. I yelled and got out to survey the damage. within seconds the old driver does the same thing but only harder. okay, i used a few words at the top of my lungs and called him some nasty things but he gets out and with a blank stare says "it didn't do any damage". then he proceeds to rub my paint with his hand and i could hear the dirt being ground into the paint. arghhh!

a week later i had to take mo back to the dealer since when i took posession she had a scratch on the console aluminum and they were going to replace the piece. I get it back after waiting for 3.5 hours and now the cell phone cubby door won't open and there is grease all over everything. i'm mad at them but they promise to set it straight when i bring it back another day since i just wanted to go home.

next day i take my wife to the grocery store and park in a spot that looks safe while i wait for her to shop. a guy pulls up beside me and is offloading a baby but he's making me nervous so i move the mo to another spot next to a little compact but with good distance between us, or so i thought. this old couple with a baby come out of the store and he goes to put his grandchild in the back seat and his door goes "whump"! of course i yell then run out and around only to see him do it again. i screamed at him to stay perfectly still until i moved my car before he did it again.

today i took my car back to the dealer to get the cell door fixed but instead of waiting, they got me a taxi home. after 4 hours i phone them to confirm it's ready and i order a taxi to head over there. sorry, gotta order a part so we'll call you when it's in and we will need you to bring the car back.

:2:

almost 2 years with my '03 murano and not a scratch but 30 days with the '05 and i'm scared to leave my garage. he heh.
but i can't wait for our holidays when my wife and i will drive over 12,000 k's down through 14 states over a month of blissful murano driving heaven and it will all be worth it!

damn bro......did u really hit 130? ive done 120 in mine, my bro keeps tellin me it wouldnt go over 120.....i guess he was wrong?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Re: cursed.... me or the car?

nismomurano said:

damn bro......did u really hit 130? ive done 120 in mine, my bro keeps tellin me it wouldnt go over 120.....i guess he was wrong?
That was 130km/h.

The Murano is speed governed, to ~116mph, due to the T-rated (118mph) tires.

·
Registered
241 Posts
As he was talking about being a kilometre away, I guess he was also talking about speed in kilometres instead of mph...So the speed was about 75mph...

I've done 124mph, had to brake for heavy traffic but still had about 2000 revs left over...Although the official reports say that the top speed, the car felt like it could go much faster....I was hoping to give it a try next week on the German autobahn without a speedlimit, but unfortunately we will be carrying a Thule roofbox so I don't think a speedtest is a good idea ;-)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
dejongj said:
As he was talking about being a kilometre away, I guess he was also talking about speed in kilometres instead of mph...So the speed was about 75mph...

I've done 124mph, had to brake for heavy traffic but still had about 2000 revs left over...Although the official reports say that the top speed, the car felt like it could go much faster....I was hoping to give it a try next week on the German autobahn without a speedlimit, but unfortunately we will be carrying a Thule roofbox so I don't think a speedtest is a good idea ;-)

Oh the foreign spec Muranos have H-rated (130mph) tires, so I expect their speed limiter to be set higher than US vehicles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts