Nissan Murano Forum banner

Custom Gauge Faces

30K views 76 replies 27 participants last post by  RickM46 
#1 ·
I don't know about you guys but the amber colored gauges are getting old and to be honest it looks kinda boring. I was wondering if anybody would be interested in getting some custom gauge faces made for our cars(?). I found a site that will do a custom "tooling" of our cluster but in order to start development they want 10 people to "buy-in" to the deal before they start making the gauge faces. Nobody will be charged until the gauges are complete.

Here is the link check it out:

http://www.streetracerparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=22

#2 ·
It would be cool if they can invert the color of Murano's dial..

I like the infiniti color better: black background orange dial...
Murano's color is a bit too "funky" :rolleyes:
I wish they can do it....

#3 ·
Yes, they are also on a bright side. As Sugar i would prefer something like Infiniti.

If the price is right I am in.....

#5 ·
That's funny I was thinking about this just the other day. I do not care for the gauges all that much either. Iliked the blue and black the Jetta had, but I was thinking with the Murano it might not look good beacuse the interior buttons are all orange also. So something like the infiniti would be perfect...I would buy a set...

#6 ·
How difficult would it be to remove and install them? What about all the other amber / orange lights in the MO?

#7 ·
anybody have a pic of what the Infiniti gauges look like?

#8 ·
Here they are. The pic is not the best one

Attachments

#9 ·
thanks Kris

#10 ·
I've been waiting for something like this. It would be great to get an idea on the price, but I'm in.

#11 ·
I'm waiting on an e-mail from the guy. He's checking around to see if a can locate an instrument cluster to start building a template....

How difficult would it be to remove and install them? What about all the other amber / orange lights in the MO?
Pretty easy.... I've done it before on my mustang. Our white gauge face is just a plasitic plate. You *carefully* slide the old one around the needles to get them off and the *carefully* slide the new one on around the needles. You have to turn the needles to fit through the holes. You can't pull back on the needle itself or you loose the calibration. All that said it takes about 30-45 minutes to get to the gauge face about 5 minutes to slip the old one off and put the new one on the put it back together.

#12 ·
I would like to be able to adjust the intrument cluster brightness independent of the other lighted switches for the doors, radio, heater, etc. I would prefer the lighted switches too be brighter and the instrument cluster to be dimmer.

#13 ·
HuskyFan said:
I would like to be able to adjust the instrument cluster brightness independent of the other lighted switches for the doors, radio, heater, etc. I would prefer the lighted switches too be brighter and the instrument cluster to be dimmer.
You nailed it! The problem is than when I dim the gauges I cannot see the switches etc. When the switches brightness is right the gauges are blindingly bright!

#14 ·
I'm not a big fan of orange...I know I know, I own a sunlit copper MO, but I would be very interested in an Infiniti style gauge if the price was right. That way it matches the interior but the gauges wouldnt be so "In yo face!"

#15 ·
Since I sold my G35 to get the MO and one of the thing I said was I liked the Mo gages better I guess I didn't know what I had going for me. The gages on my G35 were out of step with the brightness on switches also.

One thing I am looking at right now is a brighter bulb for the shifter to improve that brightness relative to the others. If the lamps on the instrument cluster are easily removable maybe they could be dimmed.

I think everyone I have talked to want them dimmer and the shifter brighter so that would all track the dimmer better and relative brightness would be more reasonable.

This would eliminate the "Need" for separate dimmers, which might be harder.

I'll post the results of my activity, I am just finishing up installing the "add on woofer amp" and still waiting the shipment from Generator for the Nav Box and Modified No-Nag.

#16 ·
Kris said:

You nailed it! The problem is than when I dim the gauges I cannot see the switches etc. When the switches brightness is right the gauges are blindingly bright!
Same here I jus want to dim the cluster lights a bit more to match better to the interior lights. I like the cluster lights dim but the remaining lights are too dim when I do that. I noticed a light above the accessory holder just in front of the shift.. but it useless when I dim the lights for the cluster.

Is there any easy way to reduce those lights?

#17 ·
If its like other Nissan guages, you will need to first remove the steering column covers, then the guage cluster will come out with a couple screws. There will be several tabs to hold the plastic fascia on, these are usually quite delicate. I notice the Murano's gas needle goes to E when the car is off, so you won't have to worry about keeping the needle where its at like other Nissans.

I had an aluminum bezel and chrome rings on my 97 Maxima guages (looked great). The adhesive for the chrome rings got kind of weak and I had to open the guage cluster frequently to reseat them.

I would be careful with the Murano's instrument cluster. Its a very expensive part. On my Maxima, it was only a $300 part, so if I broke it, I could always get another one. I don't have the exact price list with me, but my guess is that its $800-1000 if memory serves me correctly.

BTW, custom guage faces have been around for many many years now. They used to be the import modder rage, esp in the "indiglo era." To be honest, the wow factor for them fades after a while and you might get tired of them. The electrolumiscent ones require extra wiring for the cluster, making the mod in certain cases irreversible, so choose carefully.

#18 ·
I'm non-technical, but wouldn't messing with the steering column kind of risky? I mean to get to it wouldn't you have to remove the steering wheel and possible might run into airbag?

#19 ·
simplesb said:
I'm non-technical, but wouldn't messing with the steering column kind of risky? I mean to get to it wouldn't you have to remove the steering wheel and possible might run into airbag?
No the steering wheel does not come off, just the steering column plastic covers. It might not even need to on the Murano, I am just speaking from experience on my other Nissan, a Maxima.

#21 ·
I like your pics of the Z up by the Dam. Sweet! :D

#23 ·
GripperDon said:
I like your pics of the Z up by the Dam. Sweet! :D
That was my birthday present to myself, a new 350Z convertible in that beautiful copper color for a couple of days in Vegas. Nice vehicle, but completely impractical as daily transportation. A great complement however to the Murano as far as a very nice pair of vehicles for the garage.

Maybe when my last one (son) gets into (and out of) college.

#24 ·
I might be willing to get onboard with this if, as others have said:

a) the price is reasonable
b) we can get them to look like the Infiniti gauges

I wouldn't really want to replace the MO gauges with something that's not black/orange... white and blue and purple and all that stuff might be cool, but it wouldn't match anything else in the interior. I'd like to keep it clean looking.

#25 ·
I'M OUT TOO MUCH TROUBLE for me.

#26 ·
What ever happened with this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.