Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have cafe latte leather interior; recently, I saw a combination of latte and gray working out quite nicely and wanted to try it out. I would like to begin by painting the driver side airbag cover and plastic air conditioning vents gray. Then, possibly, paint a portion of the seats gray.

Did anyone attempt this? Would this void the warranty? Which paint to use?

Thanks!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Paint

Krylon has a relatively new spray paint out that is for plastics. It is called "Fusion" and comes in a variety of colors.

It might take a lot of masking to control that overspray does not get where you don't want the paint.

I undrstand the paint actully fuses with the plastic and is good about not cracking as the sustrate flexes. Sort of like fab spray for plastics.

Please post pictures.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
overspray

I am still not sure how to control it. I am thinking of using a cylindrical "spacer" in addition to masking. Any tips for overspray control?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Lots of

Tape, I like cloth instead of paper (old sheeting) and More tape and some plastic sheeting, and some more plastic sheeting and more tape.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You might want to try taking the vents out and painting them on the ground. I've seen this done on a Grand Am and it looked pretty sharp. As far as the seats & airbag cover, I might look to a professional for that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks..

I did think about taking out the vents - definitely the way to go. The airbag cover I might attempt, but the seats... Well. It's not plastic anymore, and I do agree a pro should do it... I wonder how much it would be.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm certainly not an expert in this area... but I don't know that I would paint leather seats. I think that if you want it to look real nice, you should take the seats to a custom seat shop and see if they can sew in some gray leather in whatever pattern you want.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Removing vents

Did a search and could not find... Anyone have instructions on removal of the vents, side and center?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I can't speak for the sides but the center vent pull out. Do a search on the XM install as the center vents needed to be removed in order to remove the Bose for connections.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I could not find the instructions for the center vent (there are many of them with pictures - look for a post from jaak regarding pac-audio or radio installation), but here is the instructions for the side vents from my 6 month old post in the tweeter thread:

To remove the side vents:

1- Grasp the bottom of the left side dash vent housing (the one right by the door) and pull out and slightly up. As soon as the top of it comes off, pull it out as you twist it towards the steering wheel so it clears the air duct.

If you want to remove the top speaker cover:
2- Reach in there and "feel" for a tab right under and in front of the small vent on the speaker grill. Push the tab and lift it until the vent comes up. Then from outside, grab it and pull it up and twist towards the inside of the car untill it is off of its duct.
3- Stick your finger through the hole and pop the speaker grill up.
4- Lift the side of grill closer to the windshield, pull it away from you to clear its edge from the dash, then lift it away.

Do the same on the other side.

Install is the reverse of the above steps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, will give it a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts