Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back last month, after being creamed by the genius who decided that red lights don't apply to him, a local body shop replaced the front bumper skin on the MO.

But they forgot something.

That area that, for lack of a better term, I refer to as the center "skid plate" area of the bumper (you know, where rocks can get a clear shot of the radiator and the area beneath) didn't get painted.

The same area on the rear bumper (and on the original front bumper) was a pewter color. After the replacement, it was flat black. The same as the air dam and splash guards.

When I noticed this, I called up the bod shop where the guy who worked on the MO said it was his bad. The bod shop said to come back by and they'd finish the job.

Dropped her off yesterday morning and called the service rep to tell him what should be pewter and what should be left flat black.

Went by this morning to pick 'er up. They had painted everything up front, stone attracter, "skid plate", tow hook cover (and the other cover) AND the air dam! Didn't get the splash guards.

Thing is, I kinda like the look. Makes the front look a bit more massive with the air dam painted. I pointed out the too-much-was-painted situation to the customer service rep. He offered to replace the black covers and the air dam, but I told him that I'll keep it the way it is.

Like I said, I kinda like it. And it's unique, at that.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Man, flashback!! When I was 20 years old, I had been the manager of an Earl Scheib paint shop. Do they still exist? Anyway for what was it, 29 or 39 bucks you got the car painted. Chrome, windshield, bumpers, tires... whatever they forgot to mask off was painted!!
Maybe your sprayman used to work for me!!!
:D
Bob1

<- Hey look over there by my name, I now have 4 stars. Does that make me a general?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Hey that a step or so up from a "Bird Cornell" <sp> :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More new paint on the way!!

After all that, to get the front bumper to match the rear....

I got rear-ended yesterday.

Stopped for traffic and the guy behind me didn't stop in time. Regular occurance in the Queen City. And I got lucky, lucky, lucky. The guy that hit me had a license, registration, and insurance. And didn't bolt while we waited for the police (about an hour and a half).

Lady at the body shop called right after lunch. Same shop that fixed the front is a "preferred provider" for the other guy's insurance. Said "Hi, UncaDanno. This is Me at the body shop, calling to let you know we have your claim number. You know the drill. Come on by and we'll get you set up for repairs."

Kinda 5ux0r5 when the body shop knows you already. And knows that you know the drill.

Coupla things that made me go "Hmmm":

The run-in in December tore the door off the other guy's utility bed. The MO just needed a new front bumper skin and paint (on the new skin).
Granted, it was one of those once-in-a-lifetime, I'll never hit that easy by somebody going that fast again, deals.

The run-in last night pushed the other guy's grille into his radiator (a new S10 Pickup), broke both his parking lights, and kinda put a kink across his hood. Looks like the MO just needs a new rear bumper skin and paint.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Mo bites back!
Don't hit da MO!

Glad ur OK, sorry U haveta see ye ole body shop again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts