Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this is not going to rate on the "way cool" scale that the tinted lights and fancy rims and other guy-approved accessories do, but I'm proud of it.

Here are four photos of the vinyl cargo area protector I spent most of last weekend making. I spent less than $10 on the vinyl, somewhat more for the industrial-strength Velcro and the fabric I used to make the pattern. The vinyl is an amazingly close match for the interior, especially considering that I didn't have anything to use to make a match and the selection was very limited. This piece was the only one that was anywhere near large enough and might be the right color.

I made openings for all the cargo loops, seat release handles, 12-volt plug, and childseat tethers and put flaps over all the but the tether openings to try to keep those areas clean.

I had a protector like this in my Xterra (except that it didn't tuck in like this one does) and that's what gave me the idea to make this one. The guy who detailed the Mo thought this was a factory option.

Piddle. I obviously do not know how to use IMG correctly... Will have to post the photos separately.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Good Job :)
You can tell there was some work put into that.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Wow! Way cool. When you first mentioned the custom vinyl liner in a past thread, I thought you were referring to a tray-like job that just sat on the floor. Yours is much much better. Hats off. Frankly, I think its more impressive than the tail tint (although I really liked that as well, but funds are limited ... "if I were a rich man, yada deeda deeda deeda deeda deeda deeda dum!").

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Good job! I guess you won't be using those little side bins on the floor in the cargo area that Nissan advertises. Or the cargo net.

·
Registered
758 Posts
DIJ

Looks really good. I need something like that to cover my whole interior for when the dog tags along. Great work.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eric,

I can still get to the storage bins, it's just not as convenient with the mat in place. I can also use the cargo net if need be. All the hooks and loops are still accessible.

I had to make a choice -- keep the cargo area carpet protected or be able to use all the storage compartments freely. Getting long white dog hair out of carpet is a real chore, plus these are older dogs and they both have problems that can make cleaning dog hair out of carpet look like a picnic. I'd rather protect the carpet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wow :10: that is nice..you might have a new business going here if you jump on it quick enough :blingblin

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Simplesb,

Not a chance :p! I spent most of two days running from the house to the car in the rain (sew a seam or two, check the fit, sew a little more, check the fit, etc.).

I'm glad I did it because the plastic cargo tray thing only protects the bottom, not the carpet, but most people probably wouldn't really care.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well the good part is that aren't all the measurements the same? After that it would be just color matching, I'm sure you could get more support from here :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow!! That is very impressive!! Nice job!

I have a dog that will need yearly visits to the vet and the cargo area is where I am thinking of putting him....this cover you made would actually work perfectly for my situation! He couldn't hurt a darn thing with that protector on!!

Way to go!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Very, VERY impressive.

Don't joke about simplesb's idea about your own business. My years of dog ownership and friends of like interests tell me you've got a winner on your hands.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I think the folks here are right. If you managed to simplify the production process for yourself then I think you've got yourself a great product. :29: Quality is definitely visible there...

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your support :p and I do appreciate all the positive comments I've gotten.

However, I'm not at all interested in making any more of these. It's a lot of work and it's very tedious. Yes, it would be easier making subsequent ones, but I'd probably have to tear this one apart to get my pattern pieces. I doubt many people would be interested in paying what it would cost for me to make these.

I'd also have to use my spare time to do it and it's not that much fun. Heck, it's not fun at all! I did it out of necessity.

I do stained glass and some basic glass fusing and I don't sell any of my work. Don't want the pressure.

For those of you who need to transport your doggies in the back, you might look into some of those covers (blanket-style) that are made for the back seat. Just drape it the other way, in the cargo area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts