Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an article form motore trend based on jd power survey, enjoy.

Click here

PS: See where Nissan is, dissapointing.

·
5,268 Posts
Interesting. Before I got my MO I was looking for a car. Went to Toyota, Honda, Acura………Nissan was just a coincidence.

Toyota experience – simply awful. I will never ever go back out there. Honda was OK though they tried to sell me Accord for more than Acura TL S!!!

Acura was good.

The Nissan sales persons were OK, nice and polite though they technical knowledge:

SL had 4-speed auto, SE had 5-speed auto. But MO has CVT – I said. One look of the salesmen said it all “you stupid or what, I said 4-speed auto”.

When asked why SE ride is stiffer (different suspension) the Sales Manager said - different tires. I said this is the same tire. A different compound he replied.

I did like Murano so I got it anyway. And my wife was watching me so I could not make them look technically ignorant. I guess I should have.

·
Registered
844 Posts
customer walk away from dealership because of salesman

Before we made a final decision on our Mo we hit Mazda, Toyota and Honda.

Mazda (Tribute) did not really seemed intersted in our business

Honda(Polit) basically said take it or leave it and no barganing

Toyota (Highlander) gave my wife a present for just showing up but with Toyota with a no hagling picing the salesmen were like circling sharks but could not answer a basic techinal question.

Nissan was very good at meeting us at the door, did a better than average in answering my questions, except had no clue on how the CVT worked, he knew better after I left.

Funny part of it all we ended up buting a used Mo at the toyota dealer that we first went to. I knew what I wanted and bought the Mo on the spot. Only to find out that since we used a differant salesmen from our first visit that they both complained That I did not tell the sales manager about it. I informed that manager that I had basically sold myself the car and maybe I should get the commission.
:soapbox: :soapbox:

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Kris--ur wifey does that too?

hehe

·
Registered
792 Posts
I felt Nissan was pretty decent about our purchase. I had the same question about the SL vs SE - the salesman straight up told me he had no idea. Which I found weird because they offer it in the Maxima and Altima...

Anyway...We stopped and looked at the Dodge Magnum and my wife was very upset about the way the salesman talked to her. We told him she would be the primary driver. He continued to talk to me about the car and features - he pointed out the interior mirrors to her. :) There were a few other things - she wouldn't have any interest in the Hemi..made a few references to women not knowing anything about cars. My wife is pretty knowledgeable about them - and actually does consider a car more than just transportation.

The Lexus dealer had his nose do far in the air when we walked in. I walked away from the RX300 and started looking at the IS300 - which we told him we were in the market for an SUV. He follows me over to the IS300 - ignoring my wife.

·
5,268 Posts
Re: Kris--ur wifey does that too?

mgthe3 said:

Yes, she does..........got used to it by now.....almost..:D

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have always been very disappointed by salesmen. I realize that they go through training for how to deal with customers of different types to separate the customer from as much money as possible. They are tought to read body language to tell who is really ready to buy and who is wasting their time and so on.

I have wondered if maybe they are actually very educated about the product they sell but sense an intelligent customer so pretend to be dumb about the product. This allows the customer to feel superior by teaching the salesman about the product. This is all well and good, but even if true, I don't see how it would make me pay more for the car! Then I realize that they probably really don't know much about what they're selling, and are just watching the clock so they can go home for the day.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
In my experience the salesman never wants to be "educated" by the customer, since part of the psychology of the sale is for the salesman always to have the upper hand in the process, to get a higher price on the sale.

I have never found a salesman who was knowledgeable about the car they are selling. They are good at pointing out things to distract you from the test drive though.

Your best bet when getting a good price at a dealership is to directly deal with the fleet or internet manager over the phone or by email. Don't even give those slick floor salespeople a change to spin their lies.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You guys make me realize just how spoiled I am.

I found a Nissan dealership relatively lose to my home in September 1994, when the "Newest Maxima" at the time came out.

I went down there, never having looked at a Nissan before that (well maybe I looked at the 240z, then the 260z back in the 70's), just wanting to see what all the positive press was about the 1995 Maxima SE.

Well, I found a car enthusiast that was working at the dealership who took me for a test drive. Boy what a test drive! I bought the car that day and have since been back to buy two more new Nissan's since then. (00 Maxima SE and 03 Murano SE). Always at pretty close to invoice, never a great deal but always a fair deal (for both parties) in my mind.

He consistently lets me know whenever a new model arrives and always makes sure I get a test drive as soon as I want one. I've driven different 350Z's probably a dozen times, and will no doubt some day buy one because of it.

He never BS's me about anything, and I actually consider him kind of a friend.

I really don't want to think about the grief I'd have to go through to find another Nissan salesperson like this guy.

·
5,268 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
You guys make me realize just how spoiled I am.

I found a Nissan dealership relatively lose to my home in September 1994, when the "Newest Maxima" at the time came out.

I went down there, never having looked at a Nissan before that (well maybe I looked at the 240z, then the 260z back in the 70's), just wanting to see what all the positive press was about the 1995 Maxima SE.

Well, I found a car enthusiast that was working at the dealership who took me for a test drive. Boy what a test drive! I bought the car that day and have since been back to buy two more new Nissan's since then. (00 Maxima SE and 03 Murano SE). Always at pretty close to invoice, never a great deal but always a fair deal (for both parties) in my mind.

He consistently lets me know whenever a new model arrives and always makes sure I get a test drive as soon as I want one. I've driven different 350Z's probably a dozen times, and will no doubt some day buy one because of it.

He never BS's me about anything, and I actually consider him kind of a friend.

I really don't want to think about the grief I'd have to go through to find another Nissan salesperson like this guy.

Yes, you are really lucky!!!!

·
4,664 Posts
I hate slimy salesmen and I do my best to make them feel uncomfortable, as they disgrace themselves, their employer, the manufacturer and generally don't do anything valuable for anyone.

I'm a salesman. The kind dklanecky1 talked about. I met one before I was in technical sales and was delighted, astounded and amazed at how he actually enjoyed his work and helped me. Truly helped me.

For me, I plan on doing this until I retire, as I love my customers, I love the business I'm in, and I truly enjoy helping and problem solving. Doing as you promise, not lying, building real trust and delivering exactly what you have spent the time to make sure you know, results in customers that are happy to see you, become your friends, as well as consult with you even on purchases of competing equipment.

I want them to keep coming back and I know we'll both be here years from now, so it's beyond me, why some people think that cheating the customer works.

Today, a customer told me I'm a scholar and a gentleman. I smiled and thanked him. To myself, I was pleased, but it also made me crack a smile, because I tell my friends that, right before I tell them what a poor judge of character I have.

But the reality? I helped him, and he truly appreciated it. Great reward. Oh, and I get paid too, to do something I really enjoy!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I just love it when sales people just lie because they don't know.

I've often thought of going into car sales for a couple reasons. One - it is my passion. Two - I generally know more about the car then the sales people do. It is sad that can get their hands on a lot more info than the general public can - but they still don't know the product they sell.

I don't want to generalize - because there are some very good sales people who know their stuff. I think another thing is buyers have become more educated due to the increase of sites like this, Edmunds and places like that.

I remember going to a Chevy dealer looking for an S-10 with the ZQ8 package (lowered a bit, 16" wheels...not the Xtreme). Anyway, I'm wandering around - salesman comes up - I tell him exactly what I'm looking for - and that they didn't have it. "Oh, they discontinued that this year." Me:"Actually, they just released it this year." So, we go talk to the sales manager and she proceeds to tell me the same thing.

·
4,664 Posts
"I don't know, but let me find out for you."

I use that. It works. I do find out. People appreciate that I can't know everything, but know where to get the information. After all, they don't know, and they're coming to me to find out.

Idiots. Just tell the customer what you do know and what you don't. One of the things that impressed me about the salesman I got my my Murano from, was that he admitted when he didn't know. For example... How does the gas cap cover open. He didn't know. We played around and discovered it pushed open when the doors were unlocked. He thanked me for information I gave him, that he didn't have from Nissan, as he hadn't been trained yet. (The Murano was brand new.) His honestly and openness, plus the willingness to still do his job made me buy from him. And the dealer he worked at was a 40 minute drive from me.

There must have been at least four other Nissan dealers closer. But only in distance, not in customer service.

What gets me, is it's not difficult to do this properly. You just have to ask yourself, "How would I want to be treated, if I was the customer?" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
285 Posts
You just gotta be in love with cars to sale car well.

I see some salesman trying to sell cars without knowing any jack-cheit about it. LOL.

I just run away from them...haha.

Nizmo

·
Registered
719 Posts
jaak said:
"I don't know, but let me find out for you."

I use that. It works. I do find out. People appreciate that I can't know everything, but know where to get the information. After all, they don't know, and they're coming to me to find out.

Idiots. Just tell the customer what you do know and what you don't. One of the things that impressed me about the salesman I got my my Murano from, was that he admitted when he didn't know. For example... How does the gas cap cover open. He didn't know. We played around and discovered it pushed open when the doors were unlocked. He thanked me for information I gave him, that he didn't have from Nissan, as he hadn't been trained yet. (The Murano was brand new.) His honestly and openness, plus the willingness to still do his job made me buy from him. And the dealer he worked at was a 40 minute drive from me.

There must have been at least four other Nissan dealers closer. But only in distance, not in customer service.

What gets me, is it's not difficult to do this properly. You just have to ask yourself, "How would I want to be treated, if I was the customer?" :rolleyes:
As I think about this, it's mostly about the sales person's ego and their all out attempt to maintain their "control" in the short relationship(s) that they try to develop everyday.

The sales people that have been successful with me and the same method I use is exactly what jaak is describing.

Bottom line is the more knowledge I can gain as a sales person, regardless of source, the more effective and efficent I become.

Of course my sales process relationship is built over months (in some cases years) and so I have a distinct advantage in slowly and steadily building my credibility.

Maybe the reason the average auto sales person fails because they try to "win" every encounter, many times per day, just because the financial realities of their commisson structure doesn't allow them the luxury of building slowly over time?

Sell TODAY or go somewhere else?

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, part of it are sales managers that are idiots too.

I measure my performance to my own standards and try to address my management's standards. I think this keeps you true to what you know is the right way to treat people.

Fortunately, I don't work for idiots either, so they understand long term goals, since the company's been doing what they do, for almost 60 years now. Plus, most of our customers are long term as well, so you don't want to damage the relationship.

·
Registered
746 Posts
IMO, this survey simply proves that the more you are successfull and the more you sell cars and the more you are independent and disconnected from your client base. Most if not all of the best selling companies and division are located at the bottom of the survey. Of course, you expect Cadillac and Mercedes to give the red carpet service as they make huge amount of profits on each car sold compared to most of the other brands. They obviously experienced salespeople and have more money for the little things that make your visit more comfy.

Not listening to its clientele got GM, Chrysler and Ford in big troubles in the past decades. Entire lines and high moving models slowly disapeared (Mercury, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, and more to come). The Camaro and Firebird never should have disapeared leaving the Mustang alone to control the affordable high-perf market.

People are voting with their feet. Cadillac realized not so long ago that quality means more than engraving the word "Cadillac" on a chromed mirror. They reacted just in time and finally made it, creating inspiring and quality cars that are not overpriced.

I'd say that this survey is right and reflects the current reality for these very popular japanese brands.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It's nice to see Cadillac at the top again.
I know they have made a massive effort to improve there overall operations.
One of the big reasons was the appointment of Mark LaNeve as their Division Marketing Manager back in 2001.
After many years with GM he was at Volvo for several years before moving to Cadillac. I don't think much of Volvo Cars, but there dealerships have always been a pleasant place.
Here's a guy who has worked WITH engineering to improve the car (The Product is king again) and has worked WITH the dealerships to improve customer satisfaction.
Cadillac is now a world class car company again.

Nissan is building pretty good cars. Certainly not great.
But they have a long way to go to have a "adequate" dealer network.

It's hard for the mass marketeers.
You just don't get a good salesman for small money.

I was the manager of Sales Education for Motorola Computer services for a period of time in the 90s.
Like any other business, there are good salesman and there are bad salesman.
But except for some young man just starting out, or the occasional retired bird, you won't find good salesman in an environment where
a- there is no real money to be made. Top guys don't work for $50k.
b- the customer is always claiming that the salesman is a crook but the customer has no qualms about pouring junk in a tradein car and claiming that the car is in top shape.
c- the customer wants the same deal as everybody else even though his credit score is atrocious and the next time will be the 4th time he has declared bankruptcy.

Obviously the above is a series of generalities and you can find exceptions.

Homer

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had or was giving the Highlander some consideration before the MO. It was funny, the guy was quoting me full price. I said that's the sticker price, he said 90 percent of my customers pay sticker.
I said I'm the 10 percent that does not and proceeded to walk across the street to see the MO.
The same jokers at Toyota treated me the same way 2 years ago when I looked at the Camry. I walked across to Nissan and bought the Altima. Sorry Toyota, that's 2 sales you lost due to greed.

·
4,664 Posts
I agree with you Homer, on sales people... I'm paid pretty well, and wouldn't do it for what car salesmen are paid. No thanks, not worth it. You live any sales job, it doesn't leave you at 5 pm. Often, it's like juggling cats, as they say. If I didn't like my customers (98% of them) and the technology, I'd do something else for a living!

As far as vehices go, If I really wanted a certain model, I'd go from dealer to dealer, or even different sales people in a dealer, looking for what I want.

I found a guy at a Toyota dealer that was great. I too was looking at the Highlander, in October of 2002, then I heard about the Murano that Nissan was bringing out. I wanted to wait to see what it was like, 'cause the pictures sure did look cool! (Phew, that was close.... I start to yawn when I look at a Highlander now!)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts