Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I do not know why this circlip is so hard to snap in place.

I bought a 12lb hammer today from Harbor Freight to help "persuade the circip" to compress when I attempt to install the shaft when my helper arrives.

As it stands it just sits slightly raised on the top no matter how I position it before I try to install the half-shaft, and prevent the half-shaft from moving pass it, well at least with my smaller 4lb hammer.

I do not know if the circlip is bad or I am just not using the correct amount of force to compress it.

I can not compare it to the new ones until they arrive.:(

My circlip looks like this:

And it sits like this when I try to install the half-shaft:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Good news!!

I finally got the half-axle past the circlip.

I used an idea from one of the Maxima owners is another forum to used the outer axle shaft of the half shaft as an slide hammer while holding the inner axle cup level in place in bearing.

It worked after two hits and was completely seated after about six hits, just as easy as it was when I used the slide hammer to separate the two.

My hammer blows was not working because I was not really holding the cv axle level, and probably not really causing the outer axle shaft to make contact with the inner cup to make a strong enough shock to move the half-shaft pass the circlip.

Learn something new everyday:)

Now on to assembly!!!

Update: Do not try to remove the old cv axle by using it as a slide-hammer due to the inner bearings being held in place in the cup by only a wire retaining clip.

Half-Axle in place!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
if you apply steady, constant pressure while swiveling the cup, it'll pop right in i've found
+1. I have never had to hammer one past the circlip before. Just steady with my hands while rocking it back and forth against the play in the trans. Probably done 10 different cars in my life, including the driver's side on the Murano just a couple weeks back.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
+1. I have never had to hammer one past the circlip before. Just steady with my hands while rocking it back and forth against the play in the trans. Probably done 10 different cars in my life, including the driver's side on the Murano just a couple weeks back.

The axle on the driver's side goes into the transmission, which is different from the passenger side half-axle.

The half axle, at least on the AWD models, have to be forced on and off the center bearing mount.

If you guys just pushed it on, then you guys are stronger than me I guess.

Even, the FSM states that you will need to slide hammer the half-shaft off the center bearing and press fit it back on to the bearing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good news!!

I finally got the half-axle past the circlip.

I used an idea from one of the Maxima owners is another forum to used the outer axle shaft of the half shaft as an slide hammer while holding the inner axle cup level in place in bearing.

It worked after two hits and was completely seated after about six hits, just as easy as it was when I used the slide hammer to separate the two.

My hammer blows was not working because I was not really holding the cv axle level, and probably not really causing the outer axle shaft to make contact with the inner cup to make a strong enough shock to move the half-shaft pass the circlip.

Learn something new everyday:)

Now on to assembly!!!

Half-Axle in place!!!

Definitely the most challenging part of the job. Congratulations.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The cv axle swap is complete, as well as the oil change I was originally going to do after my successful test drive.:D

I have learned a few things from the job.

1. Do not even waste time trying to change out the cv boot on the original Nissan inner cv joint, because the aftermarket cv boots can not seal around the irregular x-like shape of the inner bearing cup.

2. Check your axles in the store, even if you have to cut the box open at the counter to be sure that the axle itself is correct even if the box has the correct part number.

3. If you install new aftermarket axle be very careful due to some having very soft silicon boots on the inner cv boots that can easily be punctured while handling.

4. Last but not least, use the outer cv joint and axle as a slide-hammer while holding the inner axle cup on the center bearing splines to re-install the half-shaft pass the circlip if you have a stiff or hard to press on circlip on the passenger side(AWD owners).

Mission complete:29:

·
Registered
260 Posts
The axle on the driver's side goes into the transmission, which is different from the passenger side half-axle.

The half axle, at least on the AWD models, have to be forced on and off the center bearing mount.

If you guys just pushed it on, then you guys are stronger than me I guess.

Even, the FSM states that you will need to slide hammer the half-shaft off the center bearing and press fit it back on to the bearing.
nothing to do with strength really. that's kind of the idea. just a little finesse. if you look at the c clip that's how it works. when you swivel the cup it catches the c clip edge and causes it to compress, allowing you to slide the female end past. that's how a c clip works. you want to try and compress it while applying steady pressure. doesn't need to be a fight. like most procedures, if you're fighting with it, there's probably a better way

·
Registered
260 Posts
also, i've found that you're much better off reusing the original c clip. the new ones sometimes give you trouble as they aren't as nice a fit

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
nothing to do with strength really. that's kind of the idea. just a little finesse. if you look at the c clip that's how it works. when you swivel the cup it catches the c clip edge and causes it to compress, allowing you to slide the female end past. that's how a c clip works. you want to try and compress it while applying steady pressure. doesn't need to be a fight. like most procedures, if you're fighting with it, there's probably a better way
Have you installed the passenger half-shaft on the axle of a AWD Murano?

If not, please stop posting that it just pop in by hand.

Maybe the axle section that goes into the transfer-case, but not the half-shaft on the center wheel bearing mount.

This is not like some other car you keep referencing.

Trust me, I watched tons of how-to videos of cv axle on cars that just push-in by hand, and none were the AWD Murano passenger side half-shaft axle.

Again , did you do a passenger side AWD half-axle swap on the Murano?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
also, i've found that you're much better off reusing the original c clip. the new ones sometimes give you trouble as they aren't as nice a fit
FSM does not call for any circ clip replacement.

I tried shoving in by hand when I did this repair but I did not want to put undue stress on the boot and its strap. So hanging it with a wire midway the axle was so much easier for me since I don't have to hold the entire weight of the axle in an awkward position. I just have to position it straight and level, and a few tap on the other end with a hammer locks it in.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Have you installed the passenger half-shaft on the axle of a AWD Murano?

If not, please stop posting that it just pop in by hand.

Maybe the axle section that goes into the transfer-case, but not the half-shaft on the center wheel bearing mount.

This is not like some other car you keep referencing.

Trust me, I watched tons of how-to videos of cv axle on cars that just push-in by hand, and none were the AWD Murano passenger side half-shaft axle.

Again , did you do a passenger side AWD half-axle swap on the Murano?
easy, friend. no need to get defensive. you got it done and that's all that matters. i'm just stating, for others that may come across this thread, that there is an easier method.
and yes, as a matter of fact i did just install the pass. side cv last sunday. since assembling the entire engine from a bare block, in vehicle, requires dropping the t-case ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
FSM does not call for any circ clip replacement.

I tried shoving in by hand when I did this repair but I did not want to put undue stress on the boot and its strap. So hanging it with a wire midway the axle was so much easier for me since I don't have to hold the entire weight of the axle in an awkward position. I just have to position it straight and level, and a few tap on the other end with a hammer locks it in.
oh no, i was just referencing, for instance, when you get a boot kit, and it would come with the replacement c clip. i would always just leave the original as the replacement would be slightly larger or stiffer.
you don't actually shove it in. you rotate/swivel the cup to compress the c clip while applying pressure. it's not a lot of pressure needed at all really. it'll just about slide right it. tbh, this was the first cv i'd ever done that way. but it would work the same on any cv that utilizes a c clip to lock it in

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
easy, friend. no need to get defensive. you got it done and that's all that matters. i'm just stating, for others that may come across this thread, that there is an easier method.
and yes, as a matter of fact i did just install the pass. side cv last sunday. since assembling the entire engine from a bare block, in vehicle, requires dropping the t-case ;)
I am not being defensive.

I want someone who reads how to do this job to know that the inner bearing cup of the half-axle will not just pop-in by using arm strength alone, considering that every other AWD poster that have tried it needed some sort of way to knock the inner bearing cup pass the circlip.

I just find it funny that someone who have not done a particular job on a particular car would say how easy it is to do said work based off experience working on different type of cars.

You still did not answer my question.

Did you separate the passenger axle at the center bearing, and recombined then for an install on an AWD Murano?

There are two methods to changing the passenger cv axle on the AWD.

1. You could just un-bolt the center bracket and remove the entire cv axle from the transfer-case.

2. Like I did, you can leave the center bearing bracket in place and remove the half-axle only that starts at the inner bearing cup.

The two methods have different levels of difficulty for installation with the entire axle removal method being the easier with the risk of fluid cross contamination in the transfer-case, while the center bearing method requires a little more force to push the inner bearing cup pass the circlip.

So again, did you remove the half shaft at the center bearing?

Because it sounds like you pulled the whole axle from the transfer-case to do your repair.;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
yes. it was the exact same half shaft. yes. you can do it by hand without much effort. i know because i did it. anyone else, including yourself, can do it whichever way they like. i never said it was wrong. there's more than one way to skin a cat. just mentioning this as an option, so you don't have to remove the strut assy. to each their own. i beat on mine as well for about 5 minutes before i realized there must be an easier way

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
yes. it was the exact same half shaft. yes. you can do it by hand without much effort. i know because i did it. anyone else, including yourself, can do it whichever way they like. i never said it was wrong. there's more than one way to skin a cat. just mentioning this as an option, so you don't have to remove the strut assy. to each their own. i beat on mine as well for about 5 minutes before i realized there must be an easier way

OK.

Let me guess, the half-shaft just came off the center bearing support by hand also just by twisting it a certain way?

Any pics of your axle work that show the axle taken apart?

Because, I have the feeling you are going to just say it happened so easy no matter what.;)

No pics, did not happen.

That is my take on this.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
carguy75 why are you so pissed that someone else had an easier time than you in reinstalling the axle? Or if they have another piece of information they want to share? Not everyone lies, and there is no need to "prove" anything with pictures. We all appreciate your posts and share of knowledge but please refrain from accusatory tones in your posts and maintain professionalism.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
carguy75 why are you so pissed that someone else had an easier time than you in reinstalling the axle? Or if they have another piece of information they want to share? Not everyone lies, and there is no need to "prove" anything with pictures. We all appreciate your posts and share of knowledge but please refrain from accusatory tones in your posts and maintain professionalism.

You have just "accused" me of being pissed that someone had an easier time than me on the axle job.:)

I guess that thing about professionalism(fair and impartial) is one sided.

I did not say that I was upset that said poster stated that he/she had an easier time doing the job.

So I recommend that you follow your own advice and do not accuse someone of being angry of someone else because they stated that they had a simpler time doing a job.

Anyone who have done the job knows that the half axle do not separate by hand at the center bearing or press on by hand at the center bearing on the AWD Murano passenger side.

My opinion is that he/she is not being honest about the matter, is it a fact? No.

However, I agree that I can not without a doubt say that he/she did not do the job the way he/she
said they did.

I just call out BS when I read it.

If someone is going to question someone else's methods, they should be able to back up their methods with proof.

Not references to what it should be, but the reality of how it needs to be done.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts