Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the search and read the 7 pages of comments on the metal vs plastic tranny scoops. I have a one month old 2005 and this weekend going down a pretty civilized dirt road, caught a high center berm and nearly ripped my plastic scoop out, one last rivet held it in place. I have since drilled out the other rivets and replaced them with screws and bolts and reattached the scoop.

My question to all those who took theirs off, any problems or warranty issues? I am not expecting it to be an Xterra, but I see this might happen again.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
well as long as you put your tires were the high stuff is you should be alright. i remember when the cvt scoop was metal and held in place by bolts. we got that sucker dented up pretty good once and it only cost 20 bucks to replace. havn't had a problem since. ohh other than the scoop acting as a shovel in the winter.haha

·
4,664 Posts
It's not recommended to run without it, especially in the summer. I did find mine was a bit sluggish on hot days, and got better with the scoop back on.

·
Registered
844 Posts
nissanlove said:
well as long as you put your tires were the high stuff is you should be alright. i remember when the cvt scoop was metal and held in place by bolts. we got that sucker dented up pretty good once and it only cost 20 bucks to replace. havn't had a problem since. ohh other than the scoop acting as a shovel in the winter.haha
You are assumimg of course, that we will get enough snow to shovel. It was pretty dry down here last winter, but we made it up with a super wet June (275mm of the wet stuff for the month)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
haha and next to nothing up hear in the capital. i still feel sorry for all that's homes that were flooded. it's been pretty nasty up hear the last couple of days. early signs of winter. i can't wait actually. getting a new snowboard set up this year wooohooo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CV tranny scoop

The "scoop" is a plastic (newer) or metal (older models) that sits under the transmission and "scoops" up air onto the cooling fins of the CV transmission. I've only had my Murano, but from reading past postings, this has been an issue with people bending the metal ones or in my case, nearly ripping out the plastic ones. In the winter they also seem to gather snow.

Take a look under the engine, its off center on the drivers side.

·
4,664 Posts
Mine was bent pretty bad and I expected they would replace it with a plastic one, but they put on a new metal one! Makes it better for farming...;)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I am actually quite surprised the scoop makes any difference at all. The majority of the cooling for the CVT will come from circulating the fluid through the subtank beneath the radiator. However, I guess every little bit helps, so I'll keep an eye on my original metal scoop (not dented....yet).

·
Registered
844 Posts
nissanlove said:
haha and next to nothing up hear in the capital. i still feel sorry for all that's homes that were flooded. it's been pretty nasty up hear the last couple of days. early signs of winter. i can't wait actually. getting a new snowboard set up this year wooohooo.
I look forward to all the "Dark side" skiers sitting on there rear ends doing up there bindings. Ski Fernie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts