Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between the cvt and the transmission on my snowmobile? Both are belt driven, both use centrifugal force, right? I know when I get stuck in the snowmobile, the clutch just bores right into the belt. . . would that happen with the Murano? How often does the cvt belt need to be changed? Thanks. . . .Jim C

2004 Mo, Touring, Silver

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's a great link. But it doesn't say if you need to replace the belt, or have it serviced.:confused:

·
Registered
719 Posts
There is no mention of any kind of normal service interval for the CVT (other than fluid change) in the owner's manual, so I guess there is no other scheduled maintenance required.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There is no centrifugal force involved, all it does is change the drive ratio by laterally sliding the belt on two reverse conical shaped drives, putting extremely simply.

Just as simply saying a space rocket is just a glorified 4th july firework or todays engine is just a glorified steam engine of past.

Principal may be same, but look at the the design, of the CVT it is probably a masterpiece of engineering, I looked at the design and enginnering of CVT very keenly before deciding for MO. It was one of the major factor for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the clarification. . . the link was helpful. It just seems unusual that a single belt can move that big thing. Any more info on having to change the belt? Thanks. . . . Jim C

·
4,664 Posts
No one else's CVT belt can handle the forces the Jatco one has, including Audi's.

It's not like a snowmobile in many aspects. The belt runs under compression and effectively acts like a solid metal bar, between the sets of pulleys and releases around the other side, as it's made up of steel belts running through a number of metal plates.

Enforcer had a really good write up on his web site, and I know the link's around here some where!

From www.nissannews.com:

·
5,268 Posts
The modern CVT is a very complicated and hightech device. You really cannot compare it to snowmobile cvt.

Anyway, as jaak mention Enforcer, here is the link to his site and detailed info on CVT. Enjoy reading..

Enforcer site

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wonder how the CVT will perform at very low temperatures- which is much of the time where I live!

Does anybody have experience from a Canadian/northern US winter?

·
Registered
418 Posts
The CVT performed perfectly in -40 degree weather last winter....the torque converter won't lock up until the CVT reaches operating temperature...the CVT generates a lot of heat and thus warms up quickly and operates as smooth as silk....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought my Murano in Feb and we had close to if not record lows in NY this year and the CVT was impeccably smooth and responsive! Of course it was brand new at the time so we'll see how it is this coming winter.

·
the rally racing nut
83 Posts
i just realized that our drill presses in school have a cvt-like transmission system as well. The only difference is that the belts are moved by hand up and down the pulleys to adjust.

·
4,664 Posts
I've had it through two winters and been delighted with it... The AWD is fun in the snow, too, once you get the hang of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts