Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a used 2004 SL AWD with 14,000 miles on it back in July. About 2 weeks ago my wife told me she heard a clicking noise early in the morning that would go away after driving it a bit. Over the weekend I used the Murano and notice the noise never went away.

Thursday 9-1-05 I took it into the dealer to have it checked it out and to get the alternator replaced. First they reported they did not hear anything and that everything was normal. I then took the mechanic for a ride and he then heard the noise. He put it on a lift and about an hour later came back and told me it was a bearing in the CVT and that they must replace the transmission. He told me Nissan does not let them work on the transmission and a new one will be put in it and it should take about a week to complete.

They are covering it under warranty and they gave me a rental (Grand Prix that I hate) and assured me that it is not common and only the 2nd CVT replacement they have done.

I will post an update when we get it back.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Good luck! Please report your results back here.
I have over 25,000 miles on a 2004 and haven't had any CVT issues as of yet.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I will also be interested as I have 69000 Km on my Mo CVT, let us know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am wondering the same thing as the guy doing the work was telling me how much trouble it is to pull and replace one since they have to pull the front susspension as well.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
murchman said:
I am wondering the same thing as the guy doing the work was telling me how much trouble it is to pull and replace one since they have to pull the front susspension as well.
But I don't think they can work on a transmission with it still in the car....They still have to take it out.....:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
murchman
Was the clicking continuous or a single click?

I have a clicking with mine also but its a single click when I accelerate and then another single click when I let off the gas. It does this all the time and has been doing this for quite some time now. Everything seems to work ok and I can only here the click when the windows are down. I was going to have it checked when I had the alternator recall performed.

My MO was wrecked a couple of weeks ago and is now in the body shop for the next month. I rented an 2005 MO to drive in the mean time. It does not click. It's been interesting comparing the 2005 SL AWD rental to my 2004 SE AWD. There are definite differences.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was continous and would increase in speed as the vehicled did but wasn't tied to Engine speed as you could put it in neutral and still here it. It was very faint and sounded like a plastic fan making noise. I had thought maybe it was a wheel bearing, drive shaft, or maybe a brake pad tweaked out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zebelkhan said:

But I don't think they can work on a transmission with it still in the car....They still have to take it out.....:D
Very true although I am not familiar with how the CVT is built there maybe ways to get to some things without having to pull it out. I think my mechanic is more upset that he is just being stuck as a parts changer rather then fixing what is wrong. I just hope he is right about it being the CVT and not something simple.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
murchman said:
This was continous and would increase in speed as the vehicled did but wasn't tied to Engine speed as you could put it in neutral and still here it. It was very faint and sounded like a plastic fan making noise. I had thought maybe it was a wheel bearing, drive shaft, or maybe a brake pad tweaked out.
You know, this sounds so much like the case of the scoop being out of allignment and hitting something, or the emergency brake cable hitting the axel. I can't be sure but I think the symptoms were the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the brake cable by going down hill with the brack slightly on taking the slack out. My biggest fear is that it isn't the CVT and something else and then turning around having new issues with the vehicle do to the work that was done with the replacement CVT seeing as it's only the 2nd one my dealer has done.

·
Registered
842 Posts
murchman said:
I checked the brake cable by going down hill with the brack slightly on taking the slack out. My biggest fear is that it isn't the CVT and something else and then turning around having new issues with the vehicle do to the work that was done with the replacement CVT seeing as it's only the 2nd one my dealer has done.
According to this website there have been very few CVT failures compared to the number of Mo's on the road, so I wouldn't worry about that. When it comes to most transmissions these days it is easier for a core replacement vs. a tear down replace worn parts and re-install, doing that at the factory in control conditions ensures quality for long life.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not really worried about the new CVT, just all the other stuff they have to take off and put back on that worries me. Not much I can do they have always been great with my other Nissan's and always make sure everything is working great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Could It BE the CVT?

I was driving home today and I attempted to shift into Ds on the fly and the rpms shot way up, the Mo lurched forward, and did not shift gears. I quickly shifted back into D and it was behaving mostly normally, except that initial acceleration is a bit slow from a stop and instead of the steady power curve on acceleration, there is a pause or two before gaining speed. It sounds like a CVT issue, but would it shift (as it does) in regular D mode and not in Ds? Maybe its a computer thing. I don't know. Any ideas? Oh, and I also heard some clicking too, but it went away quickly, I think it may have just been pebbles hitting the hood? This worries me. I'm always at the service center with the carousel of "Cannot duplicates" and repeated trips.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Could It BE the CVT?

DCMurano4 said:
I was driving home today and I attempted to shift into Ds on the fly and the rpms shot way up, the Mo lurched forward, and did not shift gears. I quickly shifted back into D and it was behaving mostly normally, except that initial acceleration is a bit slow from a stop and instead of the steady power curve on acceleration, there is a pause or two before gaining speed. It sounds like a CVT issue, but would it shift (as it does) in regular D mode and not in Ds? Maybe its a computer thing. I don't know. Any ideas? Oh, and I also heard some clicking too, but it went away quickly, I think it may have just been pebbles hitting the hood? This worries me. I'm always at the service center with the carousel of "Cannot duplicates" and repeated trips.
If you were really gunning it, you could have pushed the transmission into failsafe mode. Aggressive driving will result in the computer protecting the transmission from damage. If it happens again, try turning off and restarting the car to see if the problem goes away (resets the tranny computer).

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Re: Could It BE the CVT?

DCMurano4 said:
I'm not sure what you mean, this sounds normal to me. "Shifting" into Ds should cause the RPMs to shoot up, and you will feel a sudden deceleration unless you kept the throttle steady.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Called the service guy today to see if they have an updated date on when I would get my Murano back. The CVT is being shipped from Sacramento CA and should arrive her in GA either today or tomorrow. Once it arrives they want 3 days to get it installed and make sure everything is working right.

So another weekend in the grand prix :(

·
5,244 Posts
Gonzo said:
Grand prix.... can you say excitement?

LOL :2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Re: Could It BE the CVT?

Eric L. said:

If you were really gunning it, you could have pushed the transmission into failsafe mode. Aggressive driving will result in the computer protecting the transmission from damage. If it happens again, try turning off and restarting the car to see if the problem goes away (resets the tranny computer).
I don't remember gunning it that hard or anything but the problem seems to have gone away on it's own. Must have been failsafe mode. I was really worried. I get very concerned since I am approaching the big 36K.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts