Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAd an interesting thing pop up on my drive back from ottawa this weeknd.

I started to hear a fast "tick, tick, tick" kinda like putting a hockey card on your bike tire..

it got fast/slow with the speed of the vehicle (not the speed of the engine).

I managed to pop it in neutral, and shut the engine off.. the sound stopped immediatly..

I think it' might be a "Fray" in the cvt belt (If that's possible)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
darrylburke-

It is highly unlikely that the noise you are referring to is from the CVT belt. The belt on your MOs CVT is made up of hundreds of flat, metal segments held together with metal bands. Unlike a typical fanbelt, it will not fray.

The noise could be CV-Joints, wheel bearing,...

Hockey cards in the spokes?!? :rolleyes: Don't you mean baseball cards?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
You don't need to turn the engine off, just neutral, to find out if its the transmission. In fact, turning the engine off is kind of dangerous, leaving you with no power steering and only one more application of the brakes before the vacuum in the booster runs out.

The sound might also be related to wheel rotation, so check wheel bearings, cv joints, and also a loose plastic splash guard that might be rubbing against the tire.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eric L. said:
You don't need to turn the engine off, just neutral, to find out if its the transmission. In fact, turning the engine off is kind of dangerous, leaving you with no power steering and only one more application of the brakes before the vacuum in the booster runs out.

Funny enough, the "neutral only" And "neutral and engine off" reacted differently. why? I don't know.. could be internals of the CVT.. The dealer I guess will find out.

as for the safety, 1) it was done in a large parking lot 2) the ening was turned off, and key back too on (but engine not started) the wheel would not lock, and while you are moving. the power steering is quite useless (you don't need it when you are going at speed) and I didn't need to break.

it wasn't like I tried this going 100 km/h on the 401.. I'm not that stupid..

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
darrylburke said:

Funny enough, the "neutral only" And "neutral and engine off" reacted differently. why? I don't know.. could be internals of the CVT.. The dealer I guess will find out.

as for the safety, 1) it was done in a large parking lot 2) the ening was turned off, and key back too on (but engine not started) the wheel would not lock, and while you are moving. the power steering is quite useless (you don't need it when you are going at speed) and I didn't need to break.

it wasn't like I tried this going 100 km/h on the 401.. I'm not that stupid..
Just wanted to make sure we didn't lose another MO member thats all. :p

Good luck with the dealership, and I hope its not the CVT.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

the MO had been at the dealers and they have been trying to find the problem for the last 5 hours. the current state is "Unknown".. they don't know what is causing the problem, and are going back forth with Nissan TEchnical support..

Ugh.. looks like it might be something in the CVT after all, and not something simple like the bearings..

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just called the dealership, and a brand new transmission is on the way up.. they are replacing the whole thing..

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
darrylburke-

How many miles are on your MO? Is it FWD or AWD?

-njjoe

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup. They took a fluid sample about 18 months ago, did the valve body last month, and now the whole thing. (Did all four breaks and rotors last week as well)

The MO has 99,968 kms on it (just squeeked under the 100k warrenty for the cvt)

I've done the boat about 4 times nothing major (when the larger vehicle was not around)

I do like to use the transmission, so I bet I gave it a good workout. One thing I did notice since the valve body. Under light and med acceleration there was a hesitation (well more like a .5 second power, . 5 second drop off and then full power) I thought it was just the valve body needing to be adjusted from the previous work.

I'll talk to the service manager tomorrow (I'm on good terms with him) and see if any codes where on the computer.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up the MO two days ago with a brand new CVT!!!

I snuck a peek at the parts/cost lists for th e dealer $6500+ (at warrenty rates.. )

good thing it was covered warrenty..

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Glad the MO is cruising again. Makes you wonder whether they botched the original valve body repair, leading to the complete failure of the transmission.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what ever it was, they spent 2 days back and forth with US tech support, and they could not figure out what was making the noise. they swapped out the whole thing, and sent it down to them for further analysis..

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
With an ever-growing number of Muranos on the road, and with the introduction of even more CVT-equiped models (Altima & Maxima) I sure hope Nissan gets their act together and trains people to troubleshoot and repair the CVT and not just replace it.

As the MO fleet ages and they become active players in the used-car marketplace, cost of ownership is going to kill the MO (as a used-car) if it costs $6,500 to repair a $15,000 car.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I agree, they have to train the techs, I can't believe its gone along this long.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I agree too. The cost of the transmission is the number 1 reason I want to trade for something else at this point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts