Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the transmission drain plug. I see the allen bolt bolt but it doesn’t seem to be at the bottom of the plan. Is this the drain plug? If so, seems like there will be fluid left in the pan. A few questions before I dive in:
-Risk of snapping off pan bolts with 100k?
-The cooler line I use to do the flush is on the passenger side correct? Is the return flow from the metal line side or the rubber hose?
-If the allen bolt is a drain bolt and not a level check, how much fluid will I get with a drain?
-I understand there is an external filter. Where is it located and is it an easy change?

I’ve done this on many cars so I’m not a newbie but not a pro either. All of these brands and models are different when it comes to trannies these days. Really appreciate anyone’s help. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
955 Posts
Looking for the transmission drain plug. I see the allen bolt bolt but it doesn’t seem to be at the bottom of the plan. Is this the drain plug? If so, seems like there will be fluid left in the pan. A few questions before I dive in:
-Risk of snapping off pan bolts with 100k?
-The cooler line I use to do the flush is on the passenger side correct? Is the return flow from the metal line side or the rubber hose?
-If the allen bolt is a drain bolt and not a level check, how much fluid will I get with a drain?
-I understand there is an external filter. Where is it located and is it an easy change?

I’ve done this on many cars so I’m not a newbie but not a pro either. All of these brands and models are different when it comes to trannies these days. Really appreciate anyone’s help. Thanks!
Please purchase and download the FSM for your year Murano. Links are in several other posts to purchase.

All your questions, except about snapping pan bolts (I doubt they'd be a problem at 200k.), are answered in the manual.

Usually the full metal side of a fluid system is the high side, flowing from the CVT. Return should be the rubber side.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was actually really easy. Remove lower hose on pass side of radiator, attach 1/2” clear tubing, drain transmission at pan, refill what was taken out, start vehicle until fill jug at other end of hose reaches 1qt increments and shut off, keep replacing what you take out until clean.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Remove lower hose on pass side of radiator, attach 1/2” clear tubing, drain transmission at pan, refill what was taken out, start vehicle until fill jug at other end of hose reaches 1qt increments and shut off, keep replacing what you take out until clean.

if you can't simultaneously pump new clean fluid into the trans while draining in the above manner, I believe that it's much better for trans to just do 2 or 3 pan drain & fills (with some short miles of driving between each d&f). doing it in above manner deprives important areas/parts of the trans of receiving any fluid the entire time you're draining fluid out the hose. engine running with no fluid going back to trans is not something you want to do much of if you want your trans to last a very long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts