Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Murano was purchased in Toronto Canada before being shipped out to where I am in another country. How do I get Nissan Canada to check if the CVT has been changed or not while still under warantee by the previous owner? so far they told me that they don't have the information.
Nissan USA said that they can look it up for me through the VIN number when I called - but when they tried they said that I should contact Canada as all information is with Canada as indicated by the VIN. Car fax shows nothing, Car proof shows nothing. If Nissan USA can look it up from any dealership, why not Canada?
My mistake was not knowing about CVT before purchase, especially on 2003 Muranos or I would not purchase without knowing this information and having it handy.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Mm-

Why would it matter if the CVT was replaced?

The MO's CVT is not unreliable. The average MO owner will easily see 100,000+ miles without ever experiencing any CVT issues. It really is a good unit. The problem is with repair-ability, not reliability.

However, if you still feel the need to contact Nissan Canada:
1-800-387-0122

NISSAN CANADA INC.
Information Centre
5290 Orbitor Drive
Mississauga, Ontario L4W 4Z5

-njjoe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2003 Nissan Murano CVT was highly unreliable - i just found that out. It was Murano's rookie year...so by 2004 they started to make amends on the CVT. So since I have a 2003 Murano, and no warrantee, it is best to find out if it was once changed by original owner or if I should prepare myself for a $6,000 part change in the future. Thanks for the numbers, I will call them.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
2003 Nissan Murano CVT was highly unreliable
Really? I didn't know that. Are you privy to some information that we, on this forum, don't know? Because there is no evidence whatsoever that the CVT in 2003 MOs is highly unreliable.

-njjoe

·
Registered
324 Posts
Who said its highly unreliable ?
I have a 2004 and the CVT transmission was the same as your 2003 and the same for the 2005. There was no changes or revision to it....

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
What statistics are you referring to??

-njjoe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All that needs to be done is a google search and u will see the results, it is not a secret from Murano drivers. I am hoping that my ride is the exception..that my 2003 will not have that problem - for the simple fact that I do not have warantee where I am, not that I am afraid of the CVT failing if it was under warantee. I have asked the dealers here and yes, they can replace it, but no it is not covered.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
All that needs to be done is a google search and u will see the results, it is not a secret from Murano drivers.
You need to stay away from the Kool-Aid.

If you do a Google search for "Failed Nissan CVT" you will get a bunch of hits, mainly blogs and conversations from disgruntled ex-owners who got hit with unexpected repair bills. That is understandable, as the internet is a popular venue for venting frustrations. However, some of these sites are populated with misinformation and do not welcome rebuttals, so I would question their accuracy.

You need to put the number of Google complaints in perspective. You do realize Nissan sold approximately 57,000 MOs in 2003, right? In your opinion, how many of those 57,000 would have to fail to consider them unreliable? In 2004 Consumer Reports rated the 2003 MO as excellent in reliability. http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/61-general-discussions/890-consumer-reports-update-2004-murano.html

...it is not a secret from Murano drivers.
I thought that was us? :D This forum is definitely the most popular and most active Murano forum on the net. If there was a major reliability problem with the 2003 CVT it would be noted here.

Stop worrying about your MO and enjoy the ride. Just keep an eye on the fluid level and you should be fine.

-njjoe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts