Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Murano to the Chicago area to visit my Dad for Christmas. Well, about 30 minutes short of getting to my Dad's, the CVT has apparently died. There were no warning lights and I only have 41K miles. Fortunately, I purchased a full extended warranty.

The problems began after my last fuel stop. I noticed a sound almost immediately. I thought, at first, that I was looking at a failing U joint on one of the halfshafts but a visual inspection showed no damage. There is also no indication of leakage.

Nissan road side assistance had a tow truck out there within an hour and took the car to the dealer in Elgin, IL. I'm going over there tomorrow and praying this will all be covered by the extended warranty (it is a factory extended warranty)

I'm praying it can be fixed by Friday, when I have to drive back to Dallas.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I hope you'll be able to get on the road by Friday as well. I'm hoping Nissan's extended warranty will take care of you also.

Take care and let us know what happens.

Bob

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The standard warranty will cover you.

Standard warranty is 60,000 miles/5 years.

(Beavis has 41K......from another post)

Homer

·
4,601 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll have access to the CVT that was ordered for mine and took two months to arrive.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jaak said:
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll have access to the CVT that was ordered for mine and took two months to arrive.
Wouldn't it be a hoot to learn Nissan sent it back:21:

NissanUSA needs to learn more about strategically pre-positioning spare parts to support a growing product base. It's not Materials Management 101, but it is pretty damn close.

-njjoe

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Well, I got a call from the dealer in Elgin and he said that the Transfer case died and that caused the transmission to die. So both must be replaced. Fortunately, everything is still under warranty. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the parts.

So now, my only worry is if my Murano will be ready by Friday. I just found out that Nissan parts is closed and the mechanic won't be able to ORDER the parts until Wednesday.

I'm screwed. My only chance is that I know the owner of my Nissan Dealer in Texas. I'm going to email him with the part numbers and see if he has them.

·
4,601 Posts
njjoe said:
NissanUSA needs to learn more about strategically pre-positioning spare parts to support a growing product base. It's not Materials Management 101, but it is pretty damn close.
It was a large contributing factor in me leaving Nissan as a customer.

I tell my customers, the first half of what I do for them is the product. The second half is the support. Nissan's second half is broken.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jaak,

Do you have any advice on how I should approach this situation. The real problem here is that I live in Dallas and right now I and my broken MO are stuck in the Chicago area. I know I can get a free rental to get me home, but how do I get my MO back home. There is no way it'll be ready by the time I need to get back to Dallas.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jaak is the wrong guy to ask. He'll tell you to trade-in the MO and buy a Magnum. By the time the Mo's tranny and x-fer case arrives, you'll have the Magnum broken-in. :2:

-njjoe

·
Registered
39 Posts
depending on which extended warranty you bought. I know mine Preferred Gold Security Plus has an travel expense allowance.

My suggestion would be either fly back then ask the rental car to be given to you in Dallas. Then fly to IL to pick the car and drive back.

Another way is to get the rental from IL, drive back to Dallas, keep driving the rental in Dallas until MO is fixed. (but watch out for limited mileages from the rental company) then drive the rental back to IL when MO is ready.

The first way will require you to get prior approval and a case number then pay for the flights yourself first. Then use the case number and approval reference number to get reimbursed. THE TRICK IS that you have to call Nissan USA: 1800NISSAN1 (do not trust or deal with the dealer on this).

The second way really requires to prior approval from Nissan USA as long as the dealer authorizes repair under your warranty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
based on my experiences with my MO (first with the pulley flying out of engine bay then the broken wheel).... the regular warranty may cover the repairs but any travel expenses other than the rental car(flights home, overnight hotel stays) is only available if you have the PREFERRED extended warranty.

First the repairs has to be covered by warranty (if its covered by the original, then its is also covered by the extended, so you are good there). Then just need Nissan USA's prior approval for reimbursement.

NOTE:
If you know you have the PREFERRED and they claim you don't (happened to me), just tell them that's not correct and have a copy of the Warranty Application (yours should be a gold copy) faxed to them. They will honor it and correct it in their computer.

NOTE2:
They warranty office is based out of CA, They really can't do much unless its 9-5 Mon-Fri PST.

good luck...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well fortunately, I do have the Preferred Gold Security Plus extended warranty. It doesn't expire until 48K miles. I've also got all of my paperwork for it.

Thanks for the advice.

·
4,601 Posts
njjoe said:
jaak is the wrong guy to ask. He'll tell you to trade-in the MO and buy a Magnum. By the time the Mo's tranny and x-fer case arrives, you'll have the Magnum broken-in. :2:

-njjoe
Yeah, one way to turn a frown into a grin.

If it's leased, I wonder if you can bill them back for time the vehicle's been out of service?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jaak said:

Yeah, one way to turn a frown into a grin.

If it's leased, I wonder if you can bill them back for time the vehicle's been out of service?
I'm sure Nissan Credit would have a long hard laugh at that one :)

However, I suppose it wouldn't matter if they are providing a rental car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Murano CVT died this weekend also. It fooled me as it acted like an air flow sensor problem, Car would start but when put in gear stalled. Issue was it was trying to pull away in 4th gear. Wondered if yours acted in the same manor?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

Well, I went to the dealer and got a good look under my car.

There is a 1 x 1.5 inch hole blown out the side of the transmission.

Yea, I'd say it was broke. $5100 in parts to fix it. Fortunately, all covered by warranty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The dealer mechanic is speculating that my transfer case and tranny failure are related to this TSB:
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2004/NTB04-129.htm

The TSB relates to transfer case failure if the AWD switch is left in the Locked position. Since I have never intentionally used the locked switch ever, he thinks it might have been flipped at some point when I put items in the storage tray.

Besides replacing the Tranny and transfer case, he is replacing the AWD control unit and the lock switch.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
The transfer case is going to be the Achilles Heel of the AWD Muranos.

The Nissan engineers were aware of this problem from their experience with 2003 and 2004 models. Their "fix" (changing the AWD switch and control module) for the 2005 models was a bit lame. What they should have done was beef up the case and internals, or add a viscous coupling in the rear.

Now every time my spinning rear wheels go from a slippery, snow-covered surface to a dry surface I need to worry if the internals or case were overly stressed. That's one thing I never had to worry about in my Jeep.

-njjoe

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I partly agree, however it is rather commonly known that you shouldn't drive a vehicle on dry pavement while in 4WD or locked AWD.

I think part of the issue is also that the switch is located in an area where it can be easily flipped by accident. They should have positioned it on the dash IMO.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Until the MO I had no idea about not engaging the AWD on dry pavement. I don't recall reading anything about it in the manual.

I wish they had a beefier system in the MO.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts