Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Murano 1 year and had no problems until now. It is a 2003 and has 22,000 miles on it. We were on vacation about 350 miles from home and I noticed what I thought was the transmission acting up. It just continued to get worse. I would stop at a red light and depress the accelator and nothing would happen until about 1 minute later. Luckily we made it in to a Nissan dealer and they checked it out and got with Nissan Tech support. They verified it was the transmission. They are going to replace the entire transmission with a new one. Thank goodness it is under warranty! The Nissan dealership rented me a car to get back home from vacation and we will have to drive 350 miles back to the my Murano in about 3 to 4 days.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Ouch, 350 miles roundtrip just to pick the murano...

I feel your pain.

Did they say how much the repair going to cost if it is not covered by warranty? Glad you are OK.
Dont forget to file a complain with NHTSA.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sorry to hear about that nnewell.

I've had delays in acceleration of about 3 seconds after stops, typically after long drives. Restarting the engine corrected the problem each time. Had to restart it three times in one drive about a month ago. But never anything as bad as what you're describing.

Hope you have your Murano back in good condition soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine just went up on a 04 with 13K miles. After 3 hours we got a rental car. The real question is: Is the new transmission the same design as the old? I dont know about you, but its failure will also be on my mind, what is to stop it from happening again? :3:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Failed CVT

They assured me that my transmission was coming from the factory and that it was for a SL. But I am still worried about it happening again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, the trans that failed was from the factory too. My point is that they are putting the same units back into these cars. They are not updated or redesigned to correct that component that is failing.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Don't see why they should "upgrade" the transmission.
It has a very low failure rate.
It is a very complex piece of gear,.
It is going to have a few dozen failures in the thousands represented here.
Why are you guys talking about out of warranty?
The transmission has one the strongest warranties in the business.

Homer

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
manydubs said:
Well, the trans that failed was from the factory too. My point is that they are putting the same units back into these cars. They are not updated or redesigned to correct that component that is failing.
How do you know that?

·
4,601 Posts
The transfer case has been identified as a weak spot, so they've backed off on it's ability to be used. But I've not seen a defined, repeating problem with the CVT. Anyone else notice a trend?

I now have a new transfer case, and they've changed the AWD switch. (I'll address that in another thread...)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont have a transfer case, mine is a FWD SE model. I was told that the unit going into the car is a refurbished unit, however they cannot define what has failed at this point or if the replacement has had any revisions to avoid this problem in the future.

So, what is being said here is that you need to break a few eggs to make a good omlet?

I certainly am not comforted about the fact that the trans has failed, I am concerned it may happen again.

I cannot have that concern for the vehicle my wife drives in Baltimore City.

·
4,601 Posts
Can't say I blame you.

FYI, the transmission for the SE and SL are identical. Changing the shift mechanism determines which one it acts like. I've made my 2003 SL act like a new SE.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
jaak said:
Changing the shift mechanism determines which one it acts like. I've made my 2003 SL act like a new SE.
How jaak.......was this part of the transfer case changeout??:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts