Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad that my very first post is about a complete CVT failure. I bought my MO on Thursday and on the ride home (only 10 miles from the dealer) it would hesitate from a stop. I brought it back to the dealer and they told me that the entire transmission would need to be replaced.
The dealer states that Nissan USA is flying in some engineers to look at it tomorrow. Does anyone know how common a CVT failure is? Kinda scares me that the CVT needs to be replaced with less than 20 miles on the clock!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
O.P.MO said:
Sad that my very first post is about a complete CVT failure. I bought my MO on Thursday and on the ride home (only 10 miles from the dealer) it would hesitate from a stop. I brought it back to the dealer and they told me that the entire transmission would need to be replaced.
The dealer states that Nissan USA is flying in some engineers to look at it tomorrow. Does anyone know how common a CVT failure is? Kinda scares me that the CVT needs to be replaced with less than 20 miles on the clock!
Welcome aboard... and I am very sorry that your first experience has been so negative. Although there are quite a few posts about CVT failures, I do not think it is as common as it appears. That is probably why Nissan USA is flying in the engineers to look at yours. It would be interesting to know what they find out. Did dealer give any indications?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer didn't say what was wrong other than some "modules" are defective. Once I'm told the specifics, I'll relay them to this board. The dealer is taking good care of me though.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I don't recall any recent posts about CVT failures, but I think a year or more ago I read about a batch of CVTs which were replaced because the "fluid pressure sensor" was defective. The CVT is apparently too complicated for those Nissan "factory trained technicians" to work on, so they just replace the whole unit instead of just the sensor.

I suppose if any good can come out of this, is that your CVT failed very early on, which meant it was defective from the start. Most of us here have put on a few more miles and report no problems with the transmission.

Now that alternator ticking timebomb...thats another issue.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Eric L. said:
Now that alternator ticking timebomb...thats another issue.
Now that is a major concern to me and has so far prevented me from taking a drive down to Las Vegas, about 1,200 miles roundtrip ... My wife thinks that is actually a good thing...:eek:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
talking about alternator...

Now that is a major concern to me and has so far prevented me from taking a drive down to Las Vegas, about 1,200 miles roundtrip ... My wife thinks that is actually a good thing...
I brought in my Mo to the dealership yesterday for 15K maintenance. And i made up a story saying that the interior instruments lights once in a blue moon flickers and at the same time the Mo sometimes loose power.
Then i mentioned that an alternator failure may cause this problem.
In short, dealer said they would check the alternator voltage, free of charge. So they did and guess what: could not duplicate problem! Alternator voltage is OK.

Until we get the check engine and break light to simult light up, I better keep paying up that AAA+ membership. Or you can get GOLD warranty from nissan for peace of mine during the 1,500 roadtrips :rolleyes:

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Now that is a major concern to me and has so far prevented me from taking a drive down to Las Vegas, about 1,200 miles roundtrip ... My wife thinks that is actually a good thing...:eek:
Ehhh, you can't let it scare you like that! You can't be a prisoner to your fear. Just suck it in and go for it. I drove 6,500 miles, and I guess you can consider it a precaution that I brought my ham radio gear along - just in case we got stranded in the middle of nowhere. I even brought my backup Garmin in case my handiwork cutting the lines to the nav failed partway through the trip. Didn't need either of them for emergency purposes (well, due to a breakdown).

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
EasternPA said:

Ehhh, you can't let it scare you like that! You can't be a prisoner to your fear. Just suck it in and go for it. I drove 6,500 miles, and I guess you can consider it a precaution that I brought my ham radio gear along - just in case we got stranded in the middle of nowhere. I even brought my backup Garmin in case my handiwork cutting the lines to the nav failed partway through the trip. Didn't need either of them for emergency purposes (well, due to a breakdown).
Beleive me...you do not want to have a breakdown with my wife in the car! You would wish you were never born, and SHE does not forget things either! No, I will just wait until after the alternator failure and then I will go, or I will somehow manage going just by myself...:1pat:

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
zebelkhan said:

No, I will just wait until after the alternator failure and then I will go, or I will somehow manage going just by myself..
My point being, of course, it may never fail. I guess you could always rent from Enterprise or something :( While it was a great road trip car for us, you can't have too much fun if you worry about every tick, blip, or strange engine warble thinking "oh crap, here we go. honey put on your walking shoes!"

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I kinda think if a transmission failed on the way home from the purchase, I would just ask for another car!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Regarding Alternator.....

I agree with EasternPA.
Based on my wifes behavior, I better not spend 30 large and then not take it on trips because I was afraid it would fail.

And what if you do wait and then it fails and then you can go ANYWHERE!

Or not.
From Fresh Alloy:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First alternator failure/replacement 25MAR04 16K miles
Second alternator failure/replacement 05AUG04 25K miles
Third alternator failure 29SEP04 29K miles and I am waiting for fix!!!
My Murano is 2003.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, wouldn't THAT frost you!

I doubt that I would have three failures.
After two, this sucker is gone.;)

I have driven for 50 years, this year. Somewhere around 45 cars.
I have never had an Alternator (Or it's predescessor the generator) failure.
But I could see one happening. That's life.
when two fail, that's not life, that's a POS.
And when 3 fail, that's front page of my local newspaper time.....

In any event, I intend to drive it like I stole it.

Even after 5 failures and 3 trips to the dealer in the first year, I like it.
But no more.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yikes 3 failures. What a horror story. I'd probably switch dealers initially (perhaps the first one was installing it incorrectly), but if it failed one more time, its time to buy an RX330.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Regarding alternator

EasternPA said:

My point being, of course, it may never fail. I guess you could always rent from Enterprise or something :( While it was a great road trip car for us, you can't have too much fun if you worry about every tick, blip, or strange engine warble thinking "oh crap, here we go. honey put on your walking shoes!"
Sorry O.P.MO, we should not be talking about alternators in this thread, but it is ahot subject.

EasternPA, You are right. I worry for nothing. Afterall, I have Nissan's protection plus... :p
And, like Homer I have been driving for a long time, over 30 years, and never had an alternator fail on me. So maybe I will stay lucky. But these horror stories scare me. Maybe I will go by myself a few times just to test it...:roadtrip:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yeah I say just go - its pointless to buy a $30,000+ car and be afraid to take it on roadtrips! You can't predict things you cannot plan for, so go on the trip and whatever happens will happen!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts