Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the story: I have recently purchased a MO SL AWD 2003 from a friend of a friend, who imported it from Canada. When taking the MO to my local Nissan dealer here in Poland for maintenance I was surprised at quite a few things.

According to them and Nissan in Europe the MO (European version) uses NS-1 fluid for the CVT. NS-1 fluid is priced at 11USD and I would need 5 Liters (5.28quarts). At that moment they did not have any NS-1 so they offered me Dextron 3 fluid saying that it is compatible with NS-1. Not havning any faith in their competence, and as it says in the owners manual, I went to my mechanic who specializes in strange imported cars (The MO in Europe (supposedly not in the UK) is a strange car - you wouldn't believe the sight of people turning their heads when I drive by. I am not fond of that, but the MO only came out last year and since then not many have been sold. Maybe its cause the European version looks worse than the US/Canadian version. Although the European version has navigation, traction control (don't ask me how that is possible on an AWD - maybe just marketing), Xenon headlights and a rearview camera as standard, the subtle differences in the exterior of the US/CAN version makes the MO from there look better. The reversing lights by the license plate look better. In the EU version they are too stretched out and also the rear window wiper looks minute. There are a few other things, but lets go back to the CVT fluid.

My mechanic did not want to pour in the NS-1 fluid equivalent as he was not sure if it wouldn't harm the CVT, so I went back to the dealer and insisted on having NS-2. Had to wait 2 days but eventualy got it. However according to the dealer I only have to put in 4L (4.27quarts)m which he sold me at 120USD for the 4L. 5L for the EU version (total 55 USD) and 4L for the US/CAN version I asked (total 120USD)! Basically they have no clue! The question is what amount do I really need and whether Nissan is right or my mechanic. If the CVT is the same in both version then I should be able to use the NS-1 equivalent?

On this forum I read about the CVT deterioration date and those 200000 figures. Not trusting the dealer to hook me up to the Consult II (cause they'll say change it and give us money), but seeing that the colour of the fluid is brownish instead of green I do want new fluid (The "kilometerage" is 63000km which is 39150miles).

On this forum I read about 6qt, 11qt , 15qt and 17 qts. So how much is really needed of this fluid? Is NS-1 and its equivalents ok or do I have to use the expensive NS-2?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Service Manual Recommendation

Here is the excerpt from the service manual. This is for the 2006, I'm imagining the transmission hasn't changed since '03.

·
Registered
92 Posts
oops

Here it is.
*2: Using transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-2 will damage the CVT, which is not covered by the NISSAN
new vehicle limited warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
adiadrian-

With only 39,000 miles (63,000km) there is no need to change the CVT fluid. The Service Manual suggests that even under adverse conditions (trailer towing, driving on muddy roads, etc) the CVT fluid only needs to be inspected every 60,000 miles (96,000km).

The CVT has a fluid capacity of 10.2 liters. I wonder why the dealer is claiming only 4 liters are required? Maybe he is somehow confusing it with the engine oil, which requires 4 liters with the filter change, and 5 liters for a dry engine (according to the Service Manual).

The Service Manual emphasizes that only Nissan CVT Fluid NS-2 is to be used. I recall reading somewhere that the NS-2 fluid was developed specifically for cold-weather markets (US and Canada). If the EU-MOs use NS-1, then it might be possible to use it in your MO without experiencing adverse effects. However, we don't know if the North American version of the CVT was modified in any way to use the NS-2. It would be an expensive gamble.

My recommendation is to hold off on the CVT fluid change for now. That's the safe bet.

-njjoe

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I am convinced to only use the NS-2 fluid. However I am also convinced to changing it now instead of waiting. The colour of it is brown instead of green.

But how is it that some claim to have used only 6qt instead of the 10 something qts that is stated in the manual.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The following is from experience with standard, gear type, auto transmissions.
It is "probably" valid for our CVT. but I can't be 100% sure.

"But how is it that some claim to have used only 6qt instead of the 10 something qts that is stated in the manual."

If you drop the pan only 6 qts (or so) will come out. The rest is trapped in the Torque Converter.

In order to change out all the fluid in auto transmissions, you need to have a special machine to "flush" the transmission. I don't even know that this can be done on our CVT.
But I would think that it could be done.........

Homer

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Methinks it is time for someone to do an analysis on NS2 to see what, if anything, is so special about it.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
adiadrian said:
Ok I am convinced to only use the NS-2 fluid. However I am also convinced to changing it now instead of waiting. The colour of it is brown instead of green.

But how is it that some claim to have used only 6qt instead of the 10 something qts that is stated in the manual.
NS-2 Color - I do not know what color the fluid should be. Maybe one of the others members can help here. However, if the CVT fluid is supposed to be green as you say, and it is brown after just 39,000 miles, something does not sound right.

6 vs. 10 qts. - I assume it is related to how the oil is changed. As per the attachment below, Nissan claims 30 - 50% additional fluid is required if it is changed while the engine is idling. Maybe the others are simply draining the case and then topping it off.

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
adiadrian

EU MOs also use NS-2 fluid. You can't use any other oil. And when changing the oil is not drained, it is reflushed with the new one, so the changing quantity is bigger then the capacity of the gearbox. The mechanics know the quantity that is being changed and they are also monitoring the color of the oil from the return hose. It is done at 90000 km. These informations I got from Nissan workshop during servicing my MO - because I'm curious I usually ask the guys at workshop a lot of questions. There is no quantity written in the EU Manuals.

And for the rest of guys...we have also cold weather here in Europe!!!:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The Xtronic CVT in the Murano is the same throughout the world, and uses only the NS-2 fluid. Older version of Nissan CVT (like in the Primera and Sunny) might use the NS-1 fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts