Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So today, I decided it was time for a CVT fluid change. I am at 91,000 miles on my 2015 Nisaan Murano, mostly highway.

CVT fluid change is not like performing an oil change, you have to make sure the level is correct, the fluid has to be at the right temp before you drain it, and most important, you need to refill it at the right amount.

Since Nissan has had so many CVT issues over the past years, they made it hard for the CVT fluid to be serviced by the consumer, they only want the dealer to perform it.

This will most likely void your warranty, so do it at your own risk.

I like to service my car myself, since I started doing oil change, I came to realized that most of these maintenance service, I can do it myself.

As far as when you should do this, there are so many different opinion out there, depending on who you ask. Some people say, you should do it every 30,000 miles for city driving, some say every 60,000 miles, some say 100,000 miles, other say it can last the lifetime of the car.

The service manual does not say the approximate mileage you should perform the CVT fluid change, but rather ask you to take it to the dealer so they can test it and tell you whether it needs to be changed or not.

But it can't hurt to change it every now and then, just make sure you do it right.

The fluid does break down for sure, all those microscopic particles will mix in with the fluid as you drive and you can see at 90,000 mile how dark my fluid is.

This is not a CVT fluid flush, meaning you take all the fluild out and put new fluid in. But rather a drain and refill, you drain 3/4 of the fluid and repeat 2 or 3 times within 1 month period, this will allow most of the old fuild to be replaced by the new fluid. A CVT flush is only performed when putting in a new CVT transmission.

The dealer will probably charge you between $300 -$350 for this service, only use genuine NISSAN NS-3 fluid, and this is not cheap, ~$20/qt if purchased at the dealer.

I was able to buy 5qt for $67 on amazon, you will need at least 4qt if you will do a drain refill. The pan holds around 4qt, while the rest is within the transmission.

This is how I performed my CVT drain/refill, there are different methods, but as long as you do it right, you will be fine.

* 5qt of NISSAN NS3 CVT fluid

*The CVT drain pan is located by the driver's side.
*Before performing this, make sure you drive the car around first, this will warm up the CVT fluid and and thus make the drain easier.

STEP 1: LIFT THE CAR

TURN OFF THE ENGINE

Lift the car so you can easily access the CVT drain pan underneath.

Remove the MUG guard, there are lots of clips, take your time and remove them one at a time. You will most likely break one of the clip due to the weather making them very hard. Don't worry, just make sure you have some spare around. The clips are very cheap on amazon or ebay.

STEP 2: DRAINING THE FLUID

Once the CVT drain pan is exposed, you will see 2 nuts. The black one is the CVT drain plug, the silver one toward the back is the overflow plug (see pic).

Unscrew the drain plug and watch the CVT fluid come out.

At this point, if your car is not leveled, just try to make it as leveled as possible, this will get more fluid out. I just lower the car while the fluid was pouring out.

This takes approximately 5 to 10min to drain before you start seeing droplets.

One mine, exactly 1gallon/4qt came out.
The goal here is to refill exactly what came out.

At this point, you can lift the car up and put the NUT back on.

Important:
Nissan recommends never reusing the crush washer, so make sure you have a new crush washer before you put the nut back on.

I did not have one, so I just reused the old one. I ordered some, but won't get it until tomorrow.

STEP3: REFILL WITH CVT FLUID

The way NISSAN/Dealer do this step: They fill the reservoir from the bottom using a pump connected to the overflow plug.

But you can refill it from the top on the dipstick plug.

The dipstick is not like the oil dipstick, there is no stick, so you won't be able to check the level.
To remove it, you will need a long skinny flat head screw driver. There is a tab on the dipstick, you need to insert the screwdriver to move the tap while pulling up on the dipstick. If you going to perform this, I am sure you will figure it out.

The opening is small, so make sure you have a skinny funnel that will fit in the dipstick hole.

Pour exactly what came out (4qt).

If you pour in too much, you will have to open the overflow drain plug and let the excess out.

The service manual says to fill more than came out, and open the overflow valve when the fluid temp reaches 95F. With the car leveled, when you start seeing a thin thread of fluid coming out of the overflow plug, that's how you know it is at the right level.

Once refilled, start the car, and move the shift from P to N to D, hold the lever to each position for 5sec.

If you want to change more fluid, you can repeat this step after a week or so, because the new CVT fluid will only mix in with the old fluid while driving. If you repeat thsi 2X, most of your old fluid will be replaced

This is by noway a guide and I am not an expert nissan mechanic, I am just sharing my experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A friend of mine pointed out that I should not lift the car on the front by using the transmission block, as you see in the 2nd picture.

That point is only used the lift and lower the car, I always use jackstands fter the car is lifted.

I will see if I can find another location next week when I do the second drain.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for sharing...

Here is my experience with our 1st-gen 2007 Murano CVT... just simple drain & refill.
+ Did the 1st drain & refill @30Kmiles, with OEM NS-2 green stuffs.
Oil was still clear, a little dark. Engine was cold, about 3qts came out.
+ 2nd drain & refill @60Kmiles.
Oil was better looking. Engine was HOT and 3.5qts came out ?! --> This was my mistake to put
back 3.5 qts of COLD oil !!! (Now, I realized that I was over-filling as the oil must be expanding when hot).
But no correction was done.
+ 3rd drain & refill @90Kmiles.
Oil looked new. Engine was cold .. this time I just put in 3qts, not even needed to measure, just trusting the
data from 1st oil change.
+ @120Kmiles, checked the oil thru dipstick. Oil looked new still. No action.
+ 10+yrs, traded it in @159Kmiles. The CVT was probably the only thing that drove liked new in that car.

Our 2017.5 only has 11Kmiles now. I'm planning to do the same thing to the CVT.
The few differences I could see:
+ The 2007 fill tube still had the dipstick. I didn't actually use it to check oil level, mainly just to check the oil quality.
+ The 2007 had higher clearance, no jack needed to get under. Our driveway is flat.
+ The 2007 had no protective cover under there.
+ The 2007 had no overflow plug (that I knew of). This would be helpful if you have new & old oil at different temps
as in my case during the 2nd drain/refill.
+ Will be using the new NS-3 oil.
+ I probably ignore the overflow plug (lazy). Just simple drain (COLD) -->measured -->refill with same amount ... every 30Kmiles.
I think it's much easier to deal with the CVT than (changing engine oil&filter), no filter is involved here.

I've been doing drain&refill trans-oil in our previous 5 cars. They were fine when we let them go.
Plan to do the same to the current 3 new cars. I'm no expert, just learn thing thru others.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assad, you need to stick mods, bro. Leave that to the dealer or a trusted mechanic. Just trust me.
I know, right...
And let them have all the fun, oh no...

Before I was intimidated by these kind of maintenance, I would not dare do an oil change myself before.

But after I did my first oil change, I realized that it wasn't that bad, and with the right tools, you can do the same at home. Of course, I read the service manual for each maintenance to understand what is needed.
I plan to do my antifreeze next week

@maxfan

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Nissan CVT has changed a lot from 2007 to 2017.

I don't think you need a CVT drain this early, these CVT nowadays can go a long time without being serviced.

Also I don't think most of these CVT failures are due to the oil, but rather the internal. But keeping the oil fresh will definitely make your ride smoother and the CVT last.

The reason I said to warm up the car so the oil can get hot is that so you can get most out, but the service manual does not say to warm it up. When the oil is hot, it will drip down from the gears easier and settle in the reservoir.

I was expecting less than 4qt though, did not bother to open the overflow valve to check, because I was too lazy, but I plan to do it on my second drain.

The oil came out warm, I left the oil in the pan outside and it was cold (45F), but the amount did not change, it was still 4qt.

I plan on doing my second drain next week, this should be good for another 50,000 miles if I keep the car that long, mostly highway.

You are right about it being easy.
I did oil change on this car, and this was much easier.

Issue I had, since this was my first time:
Removing the dipstick
Need to remove air vent to have a better clearance to remove the dipstick

Observation:
Car drives smoother for sure.
Today I got 33.3mpg (high) on my way to work, average was 31mpg? Is it a coincidence? Don't know

Attachments

Reactions: KBrian

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think? Nissan introduced the CVT for the 1st time with the 1st-gen Murano production.
Probably was the 1st time a CVT was used with such a powerful engine .. so we were their beta-testers, haha.
We even got a letter from Nissan to extend the warranty on the 2007 CVT ... due to many issues ?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always thought Nissan was the pionner of CVT, whenever i hear of CVT, I think of Nissan.

I thought they were the ones who invented the technology.

·
Super Moderator
1,180 Posts
I always thought Nissan was the pionner of CVT, whenever i hear of CVT, I think of Nissan.

I thought they were the ones who invented the technology.
Nissan is good, but let's not give them credit for something they haven't done.

With the Murano 2003, it was built using the first gen CVT that Nissan designed (I believe it was the reverse link V-Metal belt that Nissan incorporated.) and just started producing for mass production.

For the real history of the CVT, click on the following link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
8,580 Posts
Reactions: KBrian

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol yikes. I just remember my aunt had one before I could drive. I didn’t remember it being that ugly.
That's because you are judging it by today's standard, back then this was the bomb!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today I did my second Drain/Refill. This time, I made sure I did everything according to the service manual, except for using a pump to put the cvt fluid from underneath.

I bought Genuine Nissan Crush Washer and use a new one

I drained the excess using the overflow drain just like the manual states.
Let it drain until you see a thin thread of fluid coming out, that's how you know it is filled as per spec, then screw the overflow nut back on (make sure you do not loose the rubber washer).

I used a temperature gun to check the fluid was at the right temp as it was coming out, it read 108F, the manual states it needs to be to at least 95F before you start draining it.

More pictures for illustration....

Crush washer (these fit both the oil and cvt pan):
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3Y6JEX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

These push pin clips work great on the murano, in case you break one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40Pcs-Blac...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
The gen2 Mo has an external CVT fluid filter attached to the frame rail just forward of the drivers side front wheel. Remove the plastic fender liner to access it.

Nissanpartsdeal.com has them for under $12.

It was eliminated in gen3, probably to reduce costs.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The filter in the 3rd gen is inside the CVT and is not serviceable.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
incorrect on both; it's readily replaceable.
Well, then you need to tells us how.

The service manual does not say anything about a filter, that is why I thought it was not serviceable.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts