Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
filter part# 3172628x0a & there's an o-ring. I believe that there's no mention of it in service manual for same reason there's no trans dipstick...Nissan doesn't want "people" messing with the cvt. they likely concluded that a plurality of earlier cvt issues were caused by people putting non cvt fluids in the cvt (though the awd transfer case was another contributor in it's own right). I don't have much faith in lifetime car fluids.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the info.

The service manual has a section for draining and refilling the cvt fluid, but no mention for replacing the filter. Maybe it is not necessary to change it

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a gen2 and the CVT fluid change was pretty easy with the dipstick.

So on the gen3, looks like the dipstick tube is still there, so cvt fluid can be added easily from the top. but they simply removed the dipstick so it's impossible to check level that way? Was this because using dipstick to check the level was not as reliable as the overfill plug?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I did a complete CVT fluid flush last week.
For a partial flush, check out the 1st post

2015 Nissan Murano SV, 136,000 miles

I just follow this Youtube video, he did it on an altima, but the Murano is very similar, just minor changes.
On top of the video, I went the extra mile, and ordered Nissan Transmission cooler flush, this helps clean the hose connecting the trans to the radiator.

I do not want to post a step by step here, because it will be lengthy, but his guy's video is very good at explaining everything step by step.

This is very time consuming, so 1 whole day to do the complete flush.

I replaced the paper filer, the mesh filter, and refilled with 10qt of new fluid.
I did not replace the gasket, as I did not think it was necessary.

Some pictures I took, this helps me remember everything next time I do it, as I am sure I will forget.

·
Super Moderator
1,174 Posts
Thanks Assad, much appreciated. Great clear pictures also.

I'll be doing mine soon, but I'm adding an inline tranny cooler, so I'll probably have to add another 1/2 qt. CVT fluid.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Awesome @assad!

I notice a CVT trouble code warning showing in CVTz50, is this temporary as a result of the flush?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Awesome @assad!

I notice a CVT trouble code warning showing in CVTz50, is this temporary as a result of the flush?
Thanks @MuranoSL2003
Now this code, I never understood it. It was there before, and since I installed the app.
Maybe @PaulDay can comment on that.

I tried to reset the CVT deterioration after, but the app says it is no longer needed.

I will also ask the developper about it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Awesome @assad!

I cleared it multiple time, and it says it cleared successfully, but it will not go away, every time I go back and read it, it is there... not sure why?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I cleared it multiple time, and it says it cleared successfully, but it will not go away, every time I go back and read it, it is there... not sure why?

I found this information on that code:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yes, but CVTz should be able to cleared it? This tool is for Nissan vehicle.
It cleared my airbag light when other tools could not clear it.

Reading and erasing DTC
To read Diagnostic Trouble Codes stored in CVT or in engine, press button Read/Clear CVT DTC or Read/Clear Engine DTC. After successful DTC reading, CVTz50 will show number of errors stored in corresponding control module and list of the codes.
In order to erase CVT/engine DTC, press and hold corresponding button, then confirm erasing by selecting YES in confirmation dialog.

I remember they put in a new transmission when I was at around 20,000 miles, wondering if they ever cleared all the codes related to CVT when they replaced it.

I remember seeing this code the first time I installed the app.

I have email the dev to see what he says.

@PaulDay
Can you verify if your CVTz shows the same DTC code?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I found this service bulletin, I will take it to the dealer so they can further check it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
P17F1 CVT judder is related to a recall.
No engine light, my trans seems fine, except when at low speed (when i am getting ready to pick up speed at around 10/20mpg) I feel some vibrations, I have been ignoring it all along.
Now if my warranty has expired, can I still use the recall?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

I remember they put in a new transmission when I was at around 20,000 miles, wondering if they ever cleared all the codes related to CVT when they replaced it.

@PaulDay
That link I posted mentions even Nissan's Consult tool not being able to clear the code until the correct programming was done. It also mentions this error can occur after a valve body replacement, maybe something similar occurred when they replaced your CVT at 20k, and they never completed the programming to make the error go away...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The fact that it is persistent, that it might be a real issue.
I also think it is related to the nissan bulletin I have attached above.

If P17F1 is stored; proceed to CVT INSPECTION below.
NOTE: P17F0 and P17F1 are permanent DTCs. Do not attempt to ERASE them at this time.
I will take it to the dealer today so they can diagnose it.

Good catch by the way!!! (y)

I cannot believe I have been seeing this big RED box in front of me for a long time, and never thought of anything of it until you mentioned it. Back then my car was still under warranty.

Now, I am out of warranty and I am afraid this will cost me an arm and a leg :cry:

I was planning to keep the car for another 5 years, since I maintained it very well, also I am almost done paying it off.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Just an advice for all of you nissan owners
Nissan is well known for CVT issues.

3 months after I purchased my car, around 5,000 miles, my CVT failed and had to be replaced.
Now, I am seeing a code (P17F1) that says CVT needs to be replaced again, even though I am not experiencing any issues, and no engine light. This code has been there for more than 2 years BTW, since I installed the CVTz app.

It is a good idea to check for error code every now an then, while your car is still under warranty, even if you are not experiencing any issues. There are some hidden codes that only the nissan consult tool will show, these codes will not show up on an ODB2 scan tool.

Nissan do not scan your car when you go in for an oil change, that is not part of their so called multipoint inspection.
They charge $150 just to hook up their consult tool and scan for code.

So make sure you ask for a complete scan every 6 months or so, just to make sure there is nothing lurking inside.

Had I known about this code and not ignore it, I would have taken it in while it was still under warranty.

And these CVT usually fail right after your warranty expires.

·
Super Moderator
1,174 Posts

@PaulDay
I'll let you know in a day or two. Funny that I just finished a 200 mile round trip and was thinking of monitoring the CVT, but had too many distractions.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
@PaulDay
Ok, no problem.
I thought it was an issue with the app CVTz50, but after further looking into it and emailing the dev, it is the TCM throwing that code.
There is also a software update for the TCM, most of us with 2015, 16, 17 probably do not have the latest firmware update, since dealer will not tell you. The CVTz can tell you which code you are running if you go to Read CVT Info, this is the latest firmware according to this website 31036-5AA9C

BTW,
Here is how you can check whether you have a CVT issue:
Drive your car up an incline at around 0 to 20, 30mpg, and see if the car is struggling, vibrating, shaking or you have to press hard on the accelerator to pick up speed.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts