Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 sv awd 80k . Changed it today with the oem fluid. I used the app to monitor temps. I drove the car and got the temp up to drain the fluid. I drained the fluid when it was around 116 degrees. Car level and fill plug removed from fill tube. Exactly 3 qt of fluid drained from the car. This seems like not much fluid considering i ordered 5 qts of fluid like everyone says to do. I installed back the drain plug (new washer as well) and added 3 qt of fluid plus another 1/3 qt or so. I got in the car and went though the gears (while parked, foot on the brake, car running). Left the car running in park and temp was about 118. While car was running (and level) i opened the overflow plug and fluid started to stream out, not alot but there was a light steady stream. I let this stream out for like 2-3 minutes and capped it up.

I am concerned why only 3 qt of fluid came out and i'm worried the car doesnt have enough CVT flluid in it. Has anyone gone through this process and how much fluid came out?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Here is another good post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after reading through the service manual i'm going to check the level again. I think i had the overfill plug out at too high a temp. The CVT was 120 ish and the manual says to adjust level at 104.. Having the overfill plug out with a higher temp probably drains out more fluid than needed since the fluid expands when heated.

"Adjust the CVT fluid temperature to be approximately 40°C (104°F) "
https://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Murano/2016 Murano/TM.pdf#[0,{"name":"FitH"},820]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
added 1/2 qt and pulled overfill plug at 113 degrees. waited until thin steady stream, reinstalled. Wound up with what i put in (1/2 qt). Drove the car around and not seeing any issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
added 1/2 qt and pulled overfill plug at 113 degrees. waited until thin steady stream, reinstalled. Wound up with what i put in (1/2 qt). Drove the car around and not seeing any issues.

What app and odb2 scanner do you use? I’ve been having trouble finding one that displays the cvt temp.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Reactions: Dempsey5309

·
Registered
348 Posts
What app and odb2 scanner do you use? I’ve been having trouble finding one that displays the cvt temp.
Read this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did my 2018 Murano two weeks ago I use my scan tool to check temps and drained out exactly 3 quarts at 118 degrees I had warmed it up to 140 prior draining refilled with 3 quarts start it put it in reverse neutral and drive let it idle in neutral tell it got up to 140 and removed the overflow plug and filled tell a little stream came out it took 3.5 quarts total it had 37.500 on it when I did this

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did my 2018 Murano two weeks ago I use my scan tool to check temps and drained out exactly 3 quarts at 118 degrees I had warmed it up to 140 prior draining refilled with 3 quarts start it put it in reverse neutral and drive let it idle in neutral tell it got up to 140 and removed the overflow plug and filled tell a little stream came out it took 3.5 quarts total it had 37.500 on it when I did this
I assume you used 3.5 qt of fresh oil ... Did you measure how much came out ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I used a 5 quart measuring container that I got at the local fleet farm store it was big enough on the top I just drain the fluid right in the container market it and dumped it out clean it and refilled to the mark with fresh Nissan NS3 CVT fluid I got the Nissan CVT fluid on Ebay 6 quarts for $75.00 PS I use the filler tube to fill the CVT also put on new crush washer on drain plug I got at dealer for fifty cents each I got 10 you can use them oil drain plug to I reused the overflow drain plug washer

·
Registered
114 Posts
I normally drain (when engine is cold), measure and refill same amount (of cold fluid). Been doing this for yrs on many cars. I'm just curious since you're using the overflow-plug method.
Still can't tell exactly how much you got out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read the service manual & seen a video where they warmed the CVT to 140 and then drained it and refilled with same amount then double-check with overflow drain plug to make sure you have perfect amount in but I also saw a video of it done the way you do it but it also topped off with overflow check Nissan mechanic tried to tell me I couldn't do it because I had no way to check CVT temp you should have seen the donkey look when I told him I was a retired mechanic with more tools then he'd ever dream about

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just bought a ‘15 Murano Platinum with 122k miles on it. Previous owner drove all highway miles and said he never had any issues. I’ve been driving it for a day and notice some jerkyness the one time I floored it on to the highway and some subtle lurches between 35 and 40MPH. If I change the fluid(or have it changed) will it improve/resolve the minor issues I’m noticing? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I won't say for sure that it would fix it but it's definitely way past due for a fluid change I did mine at 37.500 just look at the videos on YouTube you can do it yourself

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have always used the drain, measure and refill method on my older Nissans. Now with the use of the overflow method the vehicle has to perfectly flat, hard to do that using ramps. So my future method will be the sucking out the fluid using a tube through the dipstick tube and refilling with the amount removed. Seems to be easy and could be done more frequently.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have always used the drain, measure and refill method on my older Nissans. Now with the use of the overflow method the vehicle has to perfectly flat, hard to do that using ramps. So my future method will be the sucking out the fluid using a tube through the dipstick tube and refilling with the amount removed. Seems to be easy and could be done more frequently.
Sounds perfect. Will be looking for such a pump. I've heard many shops doing that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I just bought a ‘15 Murano Platinum with 122k miles on it. Previous owner drove all highway miles and said he never had any issues. I’ve been driving it for a day and notice some jerkyness the one time I floored it on to the highway and some subtle lurches between 35 and 40MPH. If I change the fluid(or have it changed) will it improve/resolve the minor issues I’m noticing? Thanks
I would consider dropping the pan and changing the filter as well. I believe there is a 2nd cylindrical filter on the side that can be changed too. The pan should be cleaned of any metal particles. This guy adds extra magnets which i assume helps keep the metal bits at the bottom. This was a Pathfinder but i assume it's the same or similar tranny.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts