Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last time I was at dealer they recommended a cvt fluid change ..I have 1 2014 Murano with 43000 miles on it...should I have it changed or maybe ask them to check the deterioration level .if is good how long could I go until I change it.....

·
Registered
690 Posts
last time I was at dealer they recommended a cvt fluid change ..I have 1 2014 Murano with 43000 miles on it...should I have it changed or maybe ask them to check the deterioration level .if is good how long could I go until I change it.....
From what I have seen over time the CVT fluid deterioration counter is always well below the threshold that Nissan states (210,000) the fluid should be changed. However, I think it would be reasonable to do a drain and fill at the miles you currently have. Do you know if they will drop the pan and clean it as part of their drain and fill? Also, how much are charging for this service?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im hoping the dealer would drop pan and replace filter and clean but who knows...they want 219.00 for fluid change..

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Pretty sure that price is just a simple drain and fill. No way they drop the pan. Fluid cost 20--25 bucks at the local dealer. They need around 6 quarts.

My understanding is the smaller cvt on their smaller vehicles are the one that really demands more frequent fluid change. The murano is not known to have any problems because of old fluid. I changed my 04 cvt fluid (flushed -12 quarts worth) when it reached 80K and that was just for my piece of mind. Others here never changed theirs 100k+ and is still running fine. I think 45K is still too early. But its up to you.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I agree, a somewhat early fluid change is more for peace of mind. However, it may also be a good idea if just to remove all of the initial metal wear debris. I believe it may have a magnet on the drain plug to capture this iron debris that can be cleaned off during the drain and fill.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have got 137k miles on my 2009 MO, and I have yet to change the CVT oil. Knock on wood I have yet to notice any issues with shifting or anything.

I thought I read somewhere, though it was here a few years ago that Nissan decided to not service the CVT as part of their maintenance at 90k because too many people were experiencing CVT failure just after the maintenance warranty ran out (after 10K later)?

Thanks,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im thinking of doing the piece of mind thing..my Murano is 6 years old and only has 43000 miles..but if I get it changed now. I dont think I would have to worry for a while about changing it again..

·
Registered
364 Posts
From what I have seen over time the CVT fluid deterioration counter is always well below the threshold that Nissan states (210,000) the fluid should be changed. However, I think it would be reasonable to do a drain and fill at the miles you currently have. Do you know if they will drop the pan and clean it as part of their drain and fill? Also, how much are charging for this service?
Is that 210,000 miles or KM? lol

And has anyone attempted this at 210,000? I am just wondering if I should even attempt it a 137,832 miles on my MO. My brother doesn't recommend it as the fluid has never been changed and changing it now might destroy the CVT.

Thanks,

·
Registered
510 Posts
Is that 210,000 miles or KM? lol

And has anyone attempted this at 210,000? I am just wondering if I should even attempt it a 137,832 miles on my MO. My brother doesn't recommend it as the fluid has never been changed and changing it now might destroy the CVT.

Thanks,
That number is not distance--it's just an arbitrary value calculated by the TCM.

·
Registered
364 Posts
That number is not distance--it's just an arbitrary value calculated by the TCM.
Is there anyway to see that number in a OBD2 scanner?

I also need to know the general consensus if I need to if I should replace it the fluid now or just leave it? I don't have any shuttering or bad activity going right now.

Thanks,

·
Registered
690 Posts
You can access the CVT fluid deterioration counter with the Android app CVTz50.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Is there anyway to see that number in a OBD2 scanner?

I also need to know the general consensus if I need to if I should replace it the fluid now or just leave it? I don't have any shuttering or bad activity going right now.

Thanks,
I'm not sure you'll get a consensus. If the fluid has never been changed after 137k miles then I would personally leave it alone.

One thing you can do that's safe and should only help is to replace the external CVT fluid filter, which can be had from a dealership for less than $35 (Part no. 31726-1XE0A) and it's an easy DIY job.

·
Super Moderator
8,080 Posts
I don't support the theories floating around out there about leaving old fluid in a transmission. I'm a fan of 30K fluid changes in automatics. I'd definitely favor a drain and fill at intervals less than 100K miles. Dirty fluid that's breaking down from extended service is not better than new fluid.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't support the theories floating around out there about leaving old fluid in a transmission. I'm a fan of 30K fluid changes in automatics. I'd definitely favor a drain and fill at intervals less than 100K miles. Dirty fluid that's breaking down from extended service is not better than new fluid.
I understand your point of view but it doesn't answer my question. Do you think its a good idea this late in the game to change the fluid or just leave it? For the first while I was taking my MO to a dealership but they said nothing about changing it, when I started getting over a 100 miles I started taking it to a tire shop, they call them Active Green and Ross here in Canada to avoid the pain of paying Nissan's price to fix my 2009 MO. The last time I was there they charged me $650 CAD (with taxes and labor) to replace the oil pan. No joke!!

So yeah, my question still stands. :)

Thanks,

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't think anyone in the automotive community has does a comprehensive scientific type of study regarding this, so all we have to go on is anecdotal advise...

·
Registered
364 Posts
What about using this method to changing the CVT fluid. Also I noticed the shop uses NS3 fluid not NS2 which I have seen others online any here I think suggest that NS2 is the correct fluid. Also I don't know what the 14mm bolt is at the end to level out the fluid inside the CVT??

Thanks,

·
Registered
510 Posts
I understand your point of view but it doesn't answer my question. Do you think its a good idea this late in the game to change the fluid or just leave it? For the first while I was taking my MO to a dealership but they said nothing about changing it, when I started getting over a 100 miles I started taking it to a tire shop, they call them Active Green and Ross here in Canada to avoid the pain of paying Nissan's price to fix my 2009 MO. The last time I was there they charged me $650 CAD (with taxes and labor) to replace the oil pan. No joke!!

Thanks,
As I said, you will likely not find a consensus. One of the theories is that over time, sludge/crud etc. can build up in the nooks and crannies of unmaintained transmissions. Transmission fluids tend to have a high ratio of detergents relative to other oils so the concern is that dumping in a load of new transmission fluid with all these detergents will loosen up large amounts of debris and clog up solenoids before they can be dispersed by the detergents. This is basically the same theory used to argue against using motor flushes in poorly maintained engines. IMO, there is a shred of plausibility for this theory. Take for example the power steering system, many of which basically use transmission fluid as the lubricant (including the Murano). If you look in the P/S reservoir of a 100k mile engine that's never had the P/S fluid changed you'll find the fluid is very dark (sometimes almost black) and sludgy. Pour out the oil in the reservoir and there'll be all kinds of crud sitting at the bottom. So, would I feel good about having such old oil in the transmission? Of course not. I believe in annual transmission (and transfer case) fluid changes. Is the potential risk worth it? I'm not so sure.

Nevertheless, if you do decide to go ahead with changing the CVT fluid then I would also suggest that you have the transmission pan dropped and cleaned as well as the CVT filter replaced. This will be more expensive, esp. if you have a shop do it, but it should minimize the risk if you happen to subscribe to the aforementioned "theory".

·
Super Moderator
8,080 Posts

Thanks,
I thought I did answer, but just to be clear, I absolutely would change the fluid immediately. My experience over about 4 decades of driving is that leaving dirty fluids in a vehicle is never a way to extend its service life.

In fact, your post prompted me to call my favorite shop and schedule a $650 ATF drain and filter replacement on my 2016 Jeep with 98,000 miles. It's due for an ATF change at 120K miles but a slightly early change isn't a problem.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I thought I did answer, but just to be clear, I absolutely would change the fluid immediately. My experience over about 4 decades of driving is that leaving dirty fluids in a vehicle is never a way to extend its service life.

In fact, your post prompted me to call my favorite shop and schedule a $650 ATF drain and filter replacement on my 2016 Jeep with 98,000 miles. It's due for an ATF change at 120K miles but a slightly early change isn't a problem.
Are you change your CVT fluid/filter at a Nissan dealership or a 3rd party like Mister Transmission?

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
8,080 Posts
Are you change your CVT fluid/filter at a Nissan dealership or a 3rd party like Mister Transmission?

Thanks,
I usually avoid dealerships, but it depends on how technical the job is. My opinion of the Nissan CVT is that it's not understood by some indy shops. If I'm only going to have this done once every 100K miles, I'd consider going to a dealer unless I had a very knowledgeable indy shop.

So my response is a case of "if-then." IF you don't have a good indy shop you trust, THEN consider going to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts