Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
so back to my question...if I let dealer do this ..do I want them to drop pan or just drain and fill?? should I have them do filter as well...…..

·
Registered
364 Posts
so back to my question...if I let dealer do this ..do I want them to drop pan or just drain and fill?? should I have them do filter as well...…..
Good question, because I had a look and it seems fairly straight forward if you have your MO's service manual so you can torque the bolts on once you drop the pan, not sure if the blots (if there are any) on the 2009 filter need to be torqued, You will probably have to drive your MO up on vehicle ramps (both rear and front) so its level. You might be able to get away with doing it normally if you are a really small person. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I usually avoid dealerships, but it depends on how technical the job is. My opinion of the Nissan CVT is that it's not understood by some indy shops. If I'm only going to have this done once every 100K miles, I'd consider going to a dealer unless I had a very knowledgeable indy shop.

So my response is a case of "if-then." IF you don't have a good indy shop you trust, THEN consider going to the dealer.
That's for the info. I will have to check with my shop to see if they have had any experience doing CVT work. I was thinking of checking with a Mister Transmission here too and getting a quote then comparing it to the old Nissan dealership I used to take my MO too to see what they would charge.

Oh on the topic. I saw a video just tonight of this guy changing the CVT fluid and filter on his 2011 Altima...and he was using the Castrol CVT fluid (though he points out its compatible with NS2) which I thought was a bit funny.
I don't use anything but Nissan fluid.

Also do you recall if the gen 2 MO's have a fluid cooler?

Thanks,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Good question, because I had a look and it seems fairly straight forward if you have your MO's service manual so you can torque the bolts on once you drop the pan, not sure if the blots (if there are any) on the 2009 filter need to be torqued, You will probably have to drive your MO up on vehicle ramps (both rear and front) so its level. You might be able to get away with doing it normally if you are a really small person. :)
I have a 2014 Murano here...also dont have the equipment or space to do myself...

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
If high price is not a concern, then the dealer is the way to go for a drain and fill only. Don't be surprised if they tell you that they don't drop the pan and filter. The first gen FSM method of cvt fluid change is via continuous flushing the fluid wasting more than 12 quarts-(also no pan drop). Even the dealer don't do it via FSM because of the price of the fluid alone make it too expensive. At 43K your car is practically new. You are inviting leak issues if you insist on the pan drop. Check your cvt dipstick fluid and smell it. You should find it clear and does not smell burnt. I personally advise against the fluid change for now. Most youtube videos you see on nissan cvt fluid change are for those smaller cvts. They have issues hence needing more fluid change. NOT the murano. Dealer will always upsell you services you don't need. If you bite, they win. Half the time they will repair one item and break another in the process. Your decision. FWIW, doing cvt drain and fill is easier than doing an engine oil change because there is no filter to replace. No need for a jack either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This may not hold any weight as I did the drain and fill method early at 70k miles and will continue to drain and fill every 30k miles there after. I did not drop the pan, but it sounds like a good idea for higher mileage. The filter was external and is an inexpensive oem part, driver side wheel well location. It was an easy job for me, as easy as changing the oil. I used about 5quarts of NS2 on my 2010 LE awd. I currently have 80k miles and everything runs great. I bought it with 60k miles from a dealer. Also, changed the TC and rear diff oil. I used the owner's manual maintenance schedule to help me decide when to do fluid changes and I believe it said 90k miles to check cvt fluid or service but it said to have the dealer do the maintenance. Your owners manual will tell you all appropriate fluids to use on your vehicle in the capacities section. Maybe I didn't do something that the dealer might do like pump the new fluid through in a flush fashion, but what I did worked for me and was as easy as changing the oil is. Anyways, good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
This may not hold any weight as I did the drain and fill method early at 70k miles and will continue to drain and fill every 30k miles there after. I did not drop the pan, but it sounds like a good idea for higher mileage. The filter was external and is an inexpensive oem part, driver side wheel well location. It was an easy job for me, as easy as changing the oil. I used about 5quarts of NS2 on my 2010 LE awd. I currently have 80k miles and everything runs great. I bought it with 60k miles from a dealer. Also, changed the TC and rear diff oil. I used the owner's manual maintenance schedule to help me decide when to do fluid changes and I believe it said 90k miles to check cvt fluid or service but it said to have the dealer do the maintenance. Your owners manual will tell you all appropriate fluids to use on your vehicle in the capacities section. Maybe I didn't do something that the dealer might do like pump the new fluid through in a flush fashion, but what I did worked for me and was as easy as changing the oil is. Anyways, good luck!
Also, not sure if I missed something in this thread but I thought the murano in question said it had 43k miles on it. If so, I think your in great shape for planning all the drivetrain maintenance in the future. I think your early enough. Anyways, I'll shut up lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Also, not sure if I missed something in this thread but I thought the murano in question said it had 43k miles on it. If so, I think your in great shape for planning all the drivetrain maintenance in the future. I think your early enough. Anyways, I'll shut up lol.
yes it really has lows miles but it is 6 years old..the dealer did recommend cvt and all the drive train fluids as well...I cant afford all at once so maybe ill do one at a time...but it sounds like I might be able to do the cvt if I do the drain and fill method...my car didnt come with the maintaince book...so I dont know when to change and what to use...guess ill google this....

·
Registered
670 Posts
...my car didnt come with the maintaince book...so I dont know when to change and what to use...guess ill google this....
You can find the service manual PDFs of the service manual here:

And the owner's manuals and guides here:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts