Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Murano.

What does dealer charge for "CVT fluid deterioration value"?
Is that something that can be done at home?

·
Registered
324 Posts
What a dealer charges? Don't know, but probably depends a lot on where you are. If you have an android-based smart phone or tablet and a compatible wireless OBDII interface, you can download the CVTz50 app which can provide this information along with other CVT diagnostics. Search the 3rd generation forums as this app seems to be very popular there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an inexpensive OBD adapter and use that app. It does show that info and a lot more. It works well on my 2010.

It's shown 315 for the deterioration value since I got the car last fall, but the CVT hasn't gotten hot enough to change it that I've seen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are all apple device family. I may get a cheap android tablet for this. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This says, you have to get the CVT temperature to aboe 90C to 194F to measure accurately.

CVTz50 - CVT diagnostics with ELM327

Nissan recommends to change CVT fluid if deterioration exceeded 210000 points. Note that on majority of the vehicles the deterioration counter takes into account CVT operation only in high temperature conditions (the counter increases only when CVT temperature is above 90°C). There might be other reasons to replace CVT fluid – they shall be considered even if deterioration counter is significantly below the threshold.
After replacing CVT fluid, CVTF Deterioration data should be cleared. To perform deterioration data erasing, hold Read/Clear CVTF Deterioration button and confirm the operation by selecting YES in confirmation dialog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm guessing that the CVT deterioration date value is pretty meaningless unless your drive in a very hot climate.
I live in the northeast US and my numbers never seem to increase much because the transmission apparently almost never get above 90C.
My '13 Altima had a value of 121 at 110K miles when I changed the fluid which was very dark.
My '12 Murano has a value of just 118 at 75K miles. I bought fluid and plan to change it soon because it looks a little dark on the end of the dipstick also.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This says, you have to get the CVT temperature to aboe 90C to 194F to measure accurately.

CVTz50 - CVT diagnostics with ELM327

Nissan recommends to change CVT fluid if deterioration exceeded 210000 points. Note that on majority of the vehicles the deterioration counter takes into account CVT operation only in high temperature conditions (the counter increases only when CVT temperature is above 90°C). There might be other reasons to replace CVT fluid – they shall be considered even if deterioration counter is significantly below the threshold.
After replacing CVT fluid, CVTF Deterioration data should be cleared. To perform deterioration data erasing, hold Read/Clear CVTF Deterioration button and confirm the operation by selecting YES in confirmation dialog.

I installed the paid version of the APP and was not able to view info of the CVT. I supect it's because the CVT wasn't hot enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the paid version of the APP and was not able to view info of the CVT. I supect it's because the CVT wasn't hot enough.
I can view the values even when the transmission is cold. It's possible the ELM327 adapter that you have does not support the needed protocols. Have you tried the ELM327 v2.15 work-around" in CVTz50 menu? I have a cheap ELM327 knockoff without the Microchip PIC18F25K80 that does not provide CVT information, I later bought a better one that did.

·
Registered
252 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts