Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, recently had my CVT fluid drained and filled, the 5 quarts not the flush. This was about I'd say 1 month ago. As of 4 days ago I was going to check under my car to make sure the oil leak I've always had has not gotten worst. I had noticed that there seemed to be leakage next to the CVT drain bolt and the two tiny bolts next to it. I have taken my car to Nissan for them to inspect it since I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. They told me the CVT was fine, the fluid level was fine, and there was no leakage of the fluid they could see. They did say I have an engine oil cooler gasket leak which I will be replacing. I had driven about 1:30 minutes yesterday and the car was fine, checked the CVT fluid and it was fine. Woke up this morning and didn't see a single drop of fluid on the mat I had under the car. I had driven about 10 miles to the store and back home and checked under my car. What do ya know, I see fluid (Picture attached under the post.) I took a paper towel and wiped it up and smelled it. I am almost 99.9999% sure that it is CVT fluid based on smell and color. I don't know what the Nissan tech did and whether I was lied to or not. I figured I'd post here to see what info I can get and if anyone can help me.

The circled portion is where I have seen the fluid. I'm at a loss for ideas, any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
790 Posts
Hey all, recently had my CVT fluid drained and filled, the 5 quarts not the flush. This was about I'd say 1 month ago. As of 4 days ago I was going to check under my car to make sure the oil leak I've always had has not gotten worst. I had noticed that there seemed to be leakage next to the CVT drain bolt and the two tiny bolts next to it. I have taken my car to Nissan for them to inspect it since I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. They told me the CVT was fine, the fluid level was fine, and there was no leakage of the fluid they could see. They did say I have an engine oil cooler gasket leak which I will be replacing. I had driven about 1:30 minutes yesterday and the car was fine, checked the CVT fluid and it was fine. Woke up this morning and didn't see a single drop of fluid on the mat I had under the car. I had driven about 10 miles to the store and back home and checked under my car. What do ya know, I see fluid (Picture attached under the post.) I took a paper towel and wiped it up and smelled it. I am almost 99.9999% sure that it is CVT fluid based on smell and color. I don't know what the Nissan tech did and whether I was lied to or not. I figured I'd post here to see what info I can get and if anyone can help me.

The circled portion is where I have seen the fluid. I'm at a loss for ideas, any help will be much appreciated.
It looks like it could be a seepage leak from the drain plug itself. Did you change the o-ring (or at least inspect the old one) when you changed the fluid?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not the one who changed the fluid, rather I had Nissan do it. I would have no clue. I have just checked and noticed some elsewhere (pic below). I have also checked the dipstick and its exactly where it was 2 months ago when I had it changed.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
790 Posts
I am not the one who changed the fluid, rather I had Nissan do it. I would have no clue. I have just checked and noticed some elsewhere (pic below). I have also checked the dipstick and its exactly where it was 2 months ago when I had it changed.
When you drive down the road, air passing underneath will blow oil all over the place. I suspect the o-ring on the drain is seeping oil, but to be certain wipe down the pan and surrounding area so that it's clean and dry (use a solvent like brake cleaner, if possible) and then let it sit overnight and check again in the morning.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Isn't the drain the bolt that takes a hex key wrench to the left of the one with the fluid on it? It looks dry...

My guess is the leak is coming from somewhere higher up... Maybe from the oil cooler gasket leak mentioned?

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
790 Posts
Isn't the drain the bolt that takes a hex key wrench to the left of the one with the fluid on it? It looks dry...

My guess is the leak is coming from somewhere higher up... Maybe from the oil cooler gasket leak mentioned?
The drain bolt looks dry, but look at the area around the 4 o'clock position in the 1st picture. It looks like a faint trail of oil going down the protrusion to the bolt head that's all wet. I think he meant the engine oil cooler gasket (i.e. where the oil filter is screwed on), but for the CVT leak it could be coming from the piping above. It'll be easier to zero in on the leak when the area isn't covered in oil.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have cleaned off the area and the area around it. I will update you all tomorrow. I would not assume it would be from the gasket as that is on the passenger side of the car and this is in the middle of the car. It seems to be coming from above.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
790 Posts
I have cleaned off the area and the area around it. I will update you all tomorrow. I would not assume it would be from the gasket as that is on the passenger side of the car and this is in the middle of the car. It seems to be coming from above.
If you can, get the driver-side wheel up on a jackstand, take the wheel off, remove the splash shield (4 plastic push-pin fasteners), and inspect the hoses coming out of the front of the CVT for leaks. Also, inspect the seal where the driver-side axle goes in as a leak there would likely drip down toward the CVT oil pan (...I would think a dealership tech would have inspected all this when you complained of an oil leak, but...)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yeah, that dawned on me too... The two leaks are on opposite sides of the car and airflow...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can, get the driver-side wheel up on a jackstand, take the wheel off, remove the splash shield (4 plastic push-pin fasteners), and inspect the hoses coming out of the front of the CVT for leaks. Also, inspect the seal where the driver-side axle goes in as a leak there would likely drip down toward the CVT oil pan (...I would think a dealership tech would have inspected all this when you complained of an oil leak, but...)
How similar would CVT fluid be in color to oil? I mean obviously since my oil has about 3000 miles on it, its darker than the current suspected CVT fluid. But I'd assume it would be easy to mix up as im sure the tech did for a simple oil leak.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've just watched a video of the murano CVT transmission cooler line leakage on youtube. I checked up under the driver side wheel well and it seemed to be leaking from the exact same spot. I'll need to jack it up and fully check. How hard is it to replace those lines?

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
790 Posts
I've just watched a video of the murano CVT transmission cooler line leakage on youtube. I checked up under the driver side wheel well and it seemed to be leaking from the exact same spot. I'll need to jack it up and fully check. How hard is it to replace those lines?
The lines coming right off the transmission are steel, but then those connect to rubber hoses. If you live in a Rust Belt state then sometimes the steel lines can corrode badly and leak (...steel hose clamps can also corrode so badly they literally fall off). Hoses can also crack, of course. Find out what's leaking first and then worry about what you need to do to fix it. Fortunately, the leak doesn't seem too bad because it's not dripping on the ground so it's not an emergency.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The lines coming right off the transmission are steel, but then those connect to rubber hoses. If you live in a Rust Belt state then sometimes the steel lines can corrode badly and leak (...steel hose clamps can also corrode so badly they literally fall off). Hoses can also crack, of course. Find out what's leaking first and then worry about what you need to do to fix it. Fortunately, the leak doesn't seem too bad because it's not dripping on the ground so it's not an emergency.
Update. Woke up this morning, checked the mat, no leakage. Drove about 20 miles and got home. It's not from the drain bolt, rather I can see it from above. I cannot make any speculations but I am 100% it's coming from above and leaking down to the lowest point due to gravity. When I have the chance next week I will be taking off the driver side wheel and removing that plastic wheel well cover in order to identify where the leak is. I won't be wiping anything to in order to see how bad it truly is. Monitored the temps, they're fine, staying below 175F (79C) and the dipstick level is fine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well lads, woke up this morning to basically a pool of CVT fluid, heading back to Nissan in a few. I've taken pictures and everything else. I've peeled back that plastic shield on the drivers side and it seems to be coming from up top. Looks like I may be selling it, lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts