Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for compatible and approve CVT fluid for my 2006 Murano as the original Nissan NS2 has a hefty price tag of $ 20.00 per quart. Because of the senstivty of the Nissan CVT transmission I am looking for positive feed back and assurance that after market products available by now are safe to use.
Specifically Castrol CVT fluid which Castrol assures to be compatible and guaranteed for use with Nissan CVT transmissions.
Any feedback and experience with Castrol or an alternative product would much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I myself have only heard of only one case where non-NS2 fluid was used and the CVT lasted more then 50,000 miles after two changes using non-NS2 fluid. It did eventually fail.

I don't know, is $200 in fluid worth the risk of, a minimum of $3800, a CVT failure? As a ASE mechanic, I'd stick with the OEM recommended long term tested fluid.

Properly flushed, no power flushing, dropping the CVT pan and changing the filter, usually results in several more dependable years of service. Other factors can come into play: How hard you've driven the car, miles, service records, which can determine long term success or short term failure.

Really, only you can make the final choice after everyone chimes in.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
7,903 Posts
I agree. Since you probably will change CVT fluid every 100K miles, how much of an expense is it compared to the length of service?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I posted on a similar thread about using non-NS2 fluid. In short, I regret not using NS2 and would recommend paying the extra price just to be safe.

For my 2009 S AWD murano I drained the OEM CVT fluid at 90k miles then replaced with aftermarket "equivalent" CVT fluid, about $8 per quart. No noticeable symptoms or issues with the CVT occured from day to day, except what appeared to be potential overheating of the transmission after a couple hours on the freeway during summer. The Murano went into "limp mode" where the RPM wouldn't exceed about 3k and prevented accelerating above about 60 mph. The engine had a noticeable whine and definitely felt hotter than normal. After cooling off over night, it ran fine until another couple hours on the freeway. This happened a few times over the next couple years, only during summer. At around 150k miles I again drained the CVT fluid, dropped the pan to clean the magnets and replace the filter, reinstalled the pan, topped off the fluid with a different non-OEM brand "equivalent" CVT fluid (stupid), then disconnected the CVT fluid return line from the heat exchanger to flush out the fluid by turning on the engine, briefly. Saw this on several YouTube videos. Ultimately the fluid was pumped out, but something went horribly wrong and I ended up shredding the CVT. It immediately sounded awful and after taking it to the dealer and other shops everyone agreed the CVT was shot and had to be replaced. The cost for a reman CVT was $3900. The reman CVT seemed to run okay, but it did have slight slippage during acceleration. I've since sold the Murano at 157k miles.

* Pay the money for the OEM NS2 fluid, just to be safe, IMO *

·
Registered
144 Posts
In a pinch I once used a Valvoline brand CVT fluid that says it was compatible with Nissan. It did NOT stipulate NS-2 compatible. I replaced that as soon as I could with the NS-2.
I would also try to talk to your dealer parts dept. about selling the fluid a bit cheaper. When I buy 6-7 quarts at a time I can usually get it closer to $16 each.
For long term use I wouldn’t cheap out on the fluid. When I used the Valvoline I had just discovered a bad leak and I had to drive the car the next day and it was after dealer hours. So I patched the leak put in enough Valvoline CVT fluid to fill it and drove it for a few days until I could replace all the fluid again.

·
Super Moderator
7,903 Posts
I use synthetics for all lubricants, and in ALMOST every application I will substitute an Amsoil or Mobil 1 equivalent for the OEM stuff. I have been doing this since 1977 in engines, differentials and transaxles.

Among the very few cases where I will not substitute are the transfer case and the CVT on the Murano. The CVT in particular is not locally repairable and is expensive, and the lubricant seldom needs to be changed. I don't think there is anything (other than the cost of a pizza dinner) to be gained by substituting for the NS-2 and there is an element of risk. Aside form the lubricating qualities, the NS-2 will have specific additives for CVT service that may not be found in other lubes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree. Since you probably will change CVT fluid every 100K miles, how much of an expense is it compared to the length of service?
VCT fluid changes every 100k mikes?!!
I thought it should change every 4k miles! i was gonna change it again this week ..
What do you think?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,903 Posts
With respect (and some good humor,) I think you're nuts if you change any fluid in the car (other than engine oil) at 4K mile intervals. Even the interval for engine oil changes is longer than that...more like 7500 miles for oil & filter.

For automatic transmission fluid, basic change intervals = @30K miles.
CVT fluid, @80-100K miles.
Rear differential, 60-100K miles.
Transfer case, @100K miles.
Power steering fluid, 100K miles if you feel highly compulsive.
Brake fluid, every 3 years.

Also, I recommend using ONLY synthetic lubes. Their lubrication is superior and they last longer than conventional lubricants.

·
Registered
78 Posts
With respect (and some good humor,) I think you're nuts if you change any fluid in the car (other than engine oil) at 4K mile intervals. Even the interval for engine oil changes is longer than that...more like 7500 miles for oil & filter.

For automatic transmission fluid, basic change intervals = @30K miles.
CVT fluid, @80-100K miles.
Rear differential, 60-100K miles.
Transfer case, @100K miles.
Power steering fluid, 100K miles if you feel highly compulsive.
Brake fluid, every 3 years.

Also, I recommend using ONLY synthetic lubes. Their lubrication is superior and they last longer than conventional lubricants.
Thanks for info.i changed my engine oil last month. was just about to change CVT too. the guy i bought it from said every 4k 1k more than engine oil.. I will wait i guess.
I think First generation Mo's are best vehicles ever made. Looks, feel, space. everything. so im trying to take care of it..
I just ordered an OBD2 Scanner too and planning to get CVT50z app too as someone suggested here. I hope i can get and learn some info about CVT and its oil..
All in all its a great forum. i learned alot, with awesome mechanics here who are willing to help newbies people like me for free.
It means alot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts