Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel a little better about being a test for the Murano CVT. I see were Ford will be offering its new Montego with an optional CVT for "improved gas mileage". The article says:

"Montego is based on the platform of the Volvo S80 (Ford owns Volvo), and Ford hopes Mercury faithful will so embrace the modern design that they will overlook the somewhat underpowered 3.0-liter, 200-horsepower engine. The optional continuous variable transmission (CVT) improves acceleration and passing speeds, and Ford thinks more than half the buyers will pay for the option. Ford officials hint that faster, higher-powered engine variations will be offered in the next year or two."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-02-10-autoshow_x.htm

·
5,268 Posts
bigt500

try this link: cvt from Batavia

The latest news is that Ford owns 100% of the plant (?). The CVT will be mounted in new Taurus........

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why do I worry that Ford could end up giving CVT's a bad name.

Every Ford I have had anything to do with has been a total piece of ****. Based on the number of obnoxious ads rebates zero financing and double your down payment deals it seems to take to get these Fords moving off the lot around here, the quality is not a sales point.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Kris said:
bigt500

try this link: cvt from Batavia

The latest news is that Ford owns 100% of the plant (?). The CVT will be mounted in new Taurus........
heh heh, no it's not going into the Taurus. The Taurus will continue unchanged for a couple years so Ford can sell it to rental fleets and such.

The new car is called the Ford 500. I have to admit, it's a really nice car too.

·
5,268 Posts
I was told it will go to both, the new 500 and the new Taurus (when it is finally finished:D )

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Kris said:
I was told it will go to both, the new 500 and the new Taurus (when it is finally finished:D )
I thought the Ford 500 was the Taurus replacement.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Eric L. said:

I thought the Ford 500 was the Taurus replacement.
Me too? :8:

·
5,268 Posts
I guess you are right guys, I must have been mistaken.........anyway, the 500 does not look good.......and with the 3.0L Duratec engine it is nothing special.......

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think it would horrible if were any other car, but for a Ford, well, its better than the current Taurus. The Ford 500 is based on a modified Volvo S80 platform, so at the very least, it should be safe.

I read a very good article on Auto.com about the Ford 500's development, and how the engineers wanted to build a good vehicle. Now I still wouldn't buy a Ford sedan, but the article did give me an appreciation that the people building the car did want to build a good product, and I guess we will see how good it is when the 500 is on sale. My guess is that it will be considered "good value and safe transportation" but a rather tepid performer.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I "think" the 500 is not going to be boring.

It's going to have 17" wheels standard and 18" on the top of the line.
AWD is an option.
It will have 200 HP.
The Murano has 240 and weighs 4000.
If the 500 weighs 3300........

So what do you have that has 18" wheels, AWD, a power to weight ratio of 16.5 pounds per HP, and a CVT transmission?

Geeze, if they remember to put a bunch of rattles in it............

It will be interesting to see if it "replaces" the Taurus.

Homer

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
cvt

If Ford CAN screw something up, they will. Just as long as they don't put FORD CVTs in the MO.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
hfelknor said:
I "think" the 500 is not going to be boring.

It's going to have 17" wheels standard and 18" on the top of the line.
AWD is an option.
It will have 200 HP.
The Murano has 240 and weighs 4000.
If the 500 weighs 3300........

So what do you have that has 18" wheels, AWD, a power to weight ratio of 16.5 pounds per HP, and a CVT transmission?

Geeze, if they remember to put a bunch of rattles in it............

It will be interesting to see if it "replaces" the Taurus.

Homer
Sedans are getting heavier and heavier, and 3300lb would be a lightweight in the midsize segment. I am betting on 3700lbs or more for the Ford 500 with AWD. That and Ford's Duratech can't hold a candle to Nissan's VQ in terms of smoothness and torque response, I think it will feel slow, but adequate for what its intended for, a family sedan.

·
5,268 Posts
My MO replaced Taurus with Duratec 200 HP engine. Believe me, there is no comparison between VQ and Duratec............give me VQ anytime

·
Registered
148 Posts
The 500 IS a Taurus replacement. However, Ford is keeping the Taurus in production because it is still a money maker (for mainly rental fleets as mentioned). It makes sense for Ford to do so since it will help to recoup some of the 500's development cost. I think I read that the Taurus will finally die off in 2006 after the Futura comes on line.

The 500 is quite larger than the Taurus too. Think Toyota Avalon in size. The Duratec is a good engine but it will leave the 500 underpowered IMO. That is especially so if you compair it to the Camry, Accord, and the Altima. However, Ford is planning to put a brand new 3.5 liter V6 in it later. Also, you'll be able to get a hybrid version of the 500 in 2006.

What bothers me however is that the Ford Freestyle, a crossover SUV with the same chassis as the 500) will also get the Duratec. IMO, the Freestyle is gonna have troubles competing with the MO, Pilot, and Highlander. Ford says they are targeting the Chrysler Pacifica but the Pacifica is more minivan than SUV. The Freestyle is more SUV.

The next "cool" car the Ford does after the new Mustang, IMO, will be the Futura. That car looks sweet.

·
5,268 Posts
I hope Ford does not miss the mark again.........they need a good new engine......Duratec is not bad but is very "unsophisticated" compare to VQ.

As to the styling of 500 - I do not know what to think about it......I simply do not like it........at least looking at photos.......

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Kris said:
I hope Ford does not miss the mark again.........they need a good new engine......Duratec is not bad but is very "unsophisticated" compare to VQ.

As to the styling of 500 - I do not know what to think about it......I simply do not like it........at least looking at photos.......
Saw it at the car show this weekend and i like it much more than the previous styles ford has been exhibiting. I used to be a ford only guy. Thier styles are improving. I think they should have brought the Mondeo across the lake. That car I like!

·
5,268 Posts
Snow MO,

did you try Falcon? Similar size to Taurus though powerful 4.1L engine, rear wheel drive............only problem - speed limiter.........110mph........I have checke it out...........but we agreed it wasn't important...:D

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
No I havent, is that one of Fords concept cars? I didnt see that there. I was busy looking at the new Mustang GT and the GT40....Drool!

I was actually very preoccupied with trying to keep my brother out of the top end of the mercedes. He and his friend discovered its high quality stereo and the sound bass makes when it echos through a convention center...ah to be so young!:rolleyes:

·
5,268 Posts
No, it is not a concept car...........has been in production in Aussie land for years..........

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yeah the domestic automakers Ford and GM have different cars in Australia. For example, the current Pontiac GTO is a carryover from the Australian market Holden Monaro with the Corvette's 5.7L V8 engine crammed in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts