Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently, I put my tranny into the manual mode for poops (PC version) and giggles, but it will not shift over to or display "M." It will go in to the slot, but it does nothing but "change gears" as normal. I assume that is controled by some sort of module or fuse, but I'm having no luck finding anything. Anyone have this same issue and done a repair?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
What year and model is your MO? There was a discussion on this long time ago, and there is a remote chance that you may not have that manual option however have the shifter plate installed anyways by mistake or last resort if you got your MO used.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year and model is your MO? There was a discussion on this long time ago, and there is a remote chance that you may not have that manual option however have the shifter plate installed anyways by mistake or last resort if you got your MO used.
I did by it used, but I have use the manual mode in the past, so I know that it is equipped. My MO is a 2006 SE AWD.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Alright. I also have an SE 04 driven 84K so far and no issues on the manual shifter. So, when you push + it does not advance from 1-6? I'm guessing a cvt sensor is out prohibiting it from going to manual. Could be a cvt issue covered by the extended warranty? Are you still within your powertrain warranty coverage? That should be covered on that one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I put it in manual mode, it just shows "D" and the CVT acts as it would in actual "D." Nothing happens when I push the selector to + or -. I have 101K and I called my local dealer and they said that it is not covered under the CVT warranty because it's not an enternal problem. They quoted me over the phone in the ball park of 2K to fix it... ouch. I can stay broke for that price unless there's something I can do to fix it. I'm a gas turbine mechanic, so I'm ok around the garage.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Download the service manual and troubleshoot from there. Here: Index of /FSM/murano/2006 If its an external sensor/switch then its doable...just haved to look for it. Good luck. But in real world application, I seldom use it, so you can really get away without fixing it if you don't mind it that way. BTW, your CVT is running fine right? Whenever you move the stick to the manual setting it should right away register what gear its in # 1-6. Its possible there is a stored code so check that too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have the FSM and use it when I do maintanence on my MO. I don't use the manual mode everyday. Just use it every now and again for fun and I noticed the issue the other day. Yes, my CVT is running fine and as I stated before, when I put the stick in the manual mode, it displays a "D" as it would in the "D" mode.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
A $2,000 over-the-phone quote for a rarely seen problem? Did they just throw a dart at a dart board or think 2k would cover everything up to the replacement of the entire shifter?

-njjoe

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a 2nd hand 2006 murano and I have the same problem, it just wont engage the manual mode it just diplays 'D' anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I just purchased a 2nd hand 2006 murano and I have the same problem, it just wont engage the manual mode it just diplays 'D' anyone got any ideas?
First of, please NO multiple posting of the same issue. Be patient on getting responses.

Are you handy and can do some troubleshooting yourself? If you are....Look here Index of /FSM/Murano/2006 ..... on the CVT file there is a trouble shooting section for your issue.

You may still need nissans computer to see if any code is stored in the TCM not accessible through regular obdII reader.

Not a common problem, however, majority of the MO does not have the manual option either. Unfortunately, the OP never returned to give us an update which happens half the time.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,784 Posts
I don't bother to look at the display that much on my 07 S model.

When I pop the shifter to the right to select D2 (or Ds, or whatever it reads) I can feel the drive ratio change. I do this a lot in heavy traffic just to reduce the amount I use the brakes.

I don't need a display to remind me where the lever is...the car's feel is a constant reminder.

I sure wouldn't pay a lot of money to fix that if the display wasn't changing. I'm usually big on fixing anything, no matter how small, but this one just doesn't matter much to me. If I could twiddle a switch and fix it myself, I would, but I wouldn't pay to have it done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
murano manual shift mode problem

Hi...I recently encountered same problem...and began troubleshooting. My problem with my 2006 murano manual shift not registering that its in manual shift was due to the battery needing disconection for a few hours...or overnight....to reset the codes/computer. Yours may be the same fix...good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found and fixed this fault on my 2005 MO.

There was a broken wire underneath the Auto transmission shifter. The wire goes from AUTO/MANUAL limit switch to UP/N/DOWN limit switch. The wire was stretched tight and it looked like rubbing had caused it to break. Its an absolute pain in the butt to get to.

Need to remove centre console, remover shifter mounting bolts, flip upside down, and do some fancy soldering in a tight spot to rejoin the wire. Took me 8 hours to find and fix, if you knew how to take it apart should take 2-3 hours.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts