Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Members,
I just bought a 2005, V6. It has an unusual problem of not going smooth in the morning till it heats up or drive for about 5 min. Then it goes fast ard the rpm needle drops, till then it runs of 3..rpm.

CVT flush can be a remedy?

I feel the fluid is not being pumped as required

Any solved suggestions appreciated.

Doubt: What happens if we drain all the fluid completely from the hose or bottom of the radiator. :nerd:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Members,
I just bought a 2005, V6. It has an unusual problem of not going smooth in the morning till it heats up or drive for about 5 min. Then it goes fast ard the rpm needle drops, till then it runs of 3..rpm.

CVT flush can be a remedy?

I feel the fluid is not being pumped as required

Any solved suggestions appreciated.

Doubt: What happens if we drain all the fluid completely from the hose or bottom of the radiator. :nerd:
There is a drain plug in the CVT pan that may be easier to get to. I did a drain and refill from there and I believe I had to add back in about 6 to 7 quarts.

My trans goes into a hesitation mode when it's been in stop/go traffic for around half and hour with the ambient over 90 degrees. Funny, same traffic under 90 does not have the same hesitation issues. Mine will literally stay at rest with the go pedal to the floor for maybe 3 to 5 seconds and then off like a tiger. Then while even driving at highway speeds it surges a lot, can't keep a steady speed. I can let it set overnight and it's fine again. Sometimes when in stop/go traffic I can turn off the MO and restart it and it's fine for a couple more stops.

I've heard and read about many issues with the CVT needing replacements, but I've not yet found a definitive set of symptoms of failing CVT's. Maybe someone can attach a link to a previous thread or just post the major symptoms.

When an old school trans went south, it just slipped or was always bad, never did they auto correct later. Mine does not have any symptoms cold or even hot for that matter until I'm in stop/go traffic for 30 plus minutes.

It really sounds like it's the CVT brain that gets fried and there's not replacing just it from what I've read.

Good luck with your CVT flush.

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is a drain plug in the CVT pan that may be easier to get to. I did a drain and refill from there and I believe I had to add back in about 6 to 7 quarts.

My trans goes into a hesitation mode when it's been in stop/go traffic for around half and hour with the ambient over 90 degrees. Funny, same traffic under 90 does not have the same hesitation issues. Mine will literally stay at rest with the go pedal to the floor for maybe 3 to 5 seconds and then off like a tiger. Then while even driving at highway speeds it surges a lot, can't keep a steady speed. I can let it set overnight and it's fine again. Sometimes when in stop/go traffic I can turn off the MO and restart it and it's fine for a couple more stops.

I've heard and read about many issues with the CVT needing replacements, but I've not yet found a definitive set of symptoms of failing CVT's. Maybe someone can attach a link to a previous thread or just post the major symptoms.
Nissan replaced my 2003 Murano CVT for the exact same symptoms. Had 117,000 miles on it, and it was replaced under Nissan's 120,00 CVT warranty. Nissan extended the warranty for the CVT due to this very issue.

Nissan originally ignored the issue until the NTSB got involved and threatened action. It's really a safety issue, which can cause a rear end collision.

If you bought an extended warranty, I'd be checking to see about getting it replaced before it leaves you stranded, or you end up hitting someone when it surges forward unexpectedly.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same behaviour. It seems that the RPM will stay high until the CVT oil is warm enough. It's been like this for me for the last 15 years i own the car (2003)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts