Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Murano started randomly juddering and vibrating the gas pedal when accelerating from a stop or when passing on the interstate. On a recent interstate drive, the RPM needle bounced around more than expected and it seemed like the transmission was slipping.

Did some looking and came across a 10-page thread on these forums of other 2015 owners who've had the same issue.

To my surprise, the dealer just informed me that they will be rebuilding the transmission under warranty. I asked what "rebuild" meant exactly and the tech informed me that it was an issue with the "chain" and they would be using the existing shell but putting in all new parts.

My technical knowledge of CVTs is lacking. I don't know if the issue I'm experiencing is exactly the one fro the linked forum thread, but I do find it highly unusual that a car this new would need a transmission entirely rebuilt.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
As long as it's covered under warranty, you're fine. Thanks for letting us know about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as it's covered under warranty, you're fine. Thanks for letting us know about it.
I know Nissan has been putting CVTs in their lineup for a decent number of years. Are their CVTs still considered a major problem? While I'm appreciative of the warranty coverage, I'm highly inclined to never buy a Nissan again based on this malfunction.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I don't think the Nissan CVT has ever been considered a "major problem." I know we have had reports of failures here, but remember this is a place where people come with problems, not because they're universally happy with their car.

Nissan sells a lot of CVT vehicles, and I suspect the number of problems we have reported here are proportional to the number in most vehicles. I have no numerical reports providing a basis for that, but let's face it, in a mechanism that complex there will be some number of problems.

There are buyers of every brand of vehicle who swear off that brand based on a problem with the engine, transmission, AC, body rust, you name it. I think it's reasonable to recognize that every vehicle has its characteristic failures - the stuff that fails more often on that particular make, model and year of vehicle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know Nissan has been putting CVTs in their lineup for a decent number of years. Are their CVTs still considered a major problem? While I'm appreciative of the warranty coverage, I'm highly inclined to never buy a Nissan again based on this malfunction.
I’ll say that for me it hasn’t been an issue. Never had to have the CVT fixed or replaced on any of my Nissans (knock on wood) but I’m just one person. My Aunt has been a Nissan person for over 30 years and she’s never had a CVT issue on any of hers including her 2015 (not a Murano) and 2017. To the best of my knowledge it’s not still a major issue and of course those with issues posting on forums represent a small percentage of the cars on the road since most people don’t seek out a forum unless they are experiencing an issue. I know it’s frustrating to have an issue but I wouldn’t write off a whole brand if the issue only happened once. If it gets repaired and the issue returns after a relatively short time (subjective to time or mileage) then that would peak concern. At the end of the day it’s a personal call but I’m really not aware of it being a major problem with Nissan CVTs...

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
This isn't helpful to individuals who have a transmission fail, but ALL car makes have transmission failures. Subaru, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, BMW, Mercedes, name it. Some are more prone to others. I haven't seen any evidence that Nissans have higher failure rates than other makes. It's good news when it happens inside the warranty period; bad news when it happens afterward.

From personal experience, Audi used the same automatic in the tye 44 chassis (5000/200 series turbo sedans) that they did in the VW Vanagons, and sooner or later they all wore out prematurely. But nothing was ever done; it always happened after the warranty expired, so you just paid for the rebuild at about 60K miles and went on with life. Audi knew it, dealers knew it, and repair shops knew it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2015 Murano started randomly juddering and vibrating the gas pedal when accelerating from a stop or when passing on the interstate. On a recent interstate drive, the RPM needle bounced around more than expected and it seemed like the transmission was slipping.

Did some looking and came across a 10-page thread on these forums of other 2015 owners who've had the same issue.

To my surprise, the dealer just informed me that they will be rebuilding the transmission under warranty. I asked what "rebuild" meant exactly and the tech informed me that it was an issue with the "chain" and they would be using the existing shell but putting in all new parts.

My technical knowledge of CVTs is lacking. I don't know if the issue I'm experiencing is exactly the one fro the linked forum thread, but I do find it highly unusual that a car this new would need a transmission entirely rebuilt.
What you described as the 'issue' is exactly what I experienced at around 49,000 miles--they tried a repair (as mentioned above) but was a total transmission replacement a couple of months later. Have driven other Murano for 70,000+ miles with NO issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts

My 2015 started juddering after about 3 years. My mechanic finally sent me to the dealer. Eventually the did the "chain repair" and except for one incident, it is ok now. One time it sort of lurched forward. I'm close to the end of warranty so keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I have had similar issues with my 2015 Murano. They replaced the valve body a couple of weeks ago and 2 days later it was doing the same thing. I am taking it in tomorrow to get it checked and they expect to have to replace the transmission. I have had issues since day one and all I am told is "If there is no error message so we can't do anything to it". I agree this is the first and probably last Nissan that I buy which sucks because I love everything else about the vehicle but it just pisses me off every time it does it and I take it to the dealer and tell me nothing can be done.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We're on our 2nd Murano.. first a 2005 now a 2015 Platinum. Have been REAL lucky with the CVT's. Go on Youtube and check out some of the videos on HOW these things are put together. Its the weirdest...and IMO dumbest way to build a tranny I've ever seen. Its all about getting the most MPG... The complicated mess Nissan h.as come up with.... eh.. Just baby it and hope for the best. Remember.. Renault brought in CHEAPER quality to make more $... it is what it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This isn't helpful to individuals who have a transmission fail, but ALL car makes have transmission failures. Subaru, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, BMW, Mercedes, name it. Some are more prone to others. I haven't seen any evidence that Nissans have higher failure rates than other makes. It's good news when it happens inside the warranty period; bad news when it happens afterward.

From personal experience, Audi used the same automatic in the tye 44 chassis (5000/200 series turbo sedans) that they did in the VW Vanagons, and sooner or later they all wore out prematurely. But nothing was ever done; it always happened after the warranty expired, so you just paid for the rebuild at about 60K miles and went on with life. Audi knew it, dealers knew it, and repair shops knew it.
I've got an 11 year old 2009 Hyundai Sonata with 108,000 miles on it that has never needed anything more than scheduled maintenance. Something's got to be said about the lack of confidence that other automakers have in their own offerings when Hyundai/Kia were plastering every TV with their 10 year/100,000 mile warranty commercials.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What you described as the 'issue' is exactly what I experienced at around 49,000 miles--they tried a repair (as mentioned above) but was a total transmission replacement a couple of months later. Have driven other Murano for 70,000+ miles with NO issues.
That is encouraging to know. Now only if the dealer won't keep postponing my repair. They've already rescheduled it twice, I'm assuming because there's no money in it for them and it ties up a technician for so long. The tech could be doing so much more by offering $50 cabin replacement filters 🤫

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got an 11 year old 2009 Hyundai Sonata with 108,000 miles on it that has never needed anything more than scheduled maintenance. Something's got to be said about the lack of confidence that other automakers have in their own offerings when Hyundai/Kia were plastering every TV with their 10 year/100,000 mile warranty commercials.
Interestingly I had 2 Hyundai’s and a Kia...and all 3 constantly had issues despite staying on top of all maintenance. Point being...doesn’t matter who the automaker is they will have some of their cars that will have problems. None of them are immune....even if their warranty offerings seem to say they have more confidence.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
From what I remember, Hyundai was a disposable car back in the late 80s early 90s. Twas a big joke like the Yugo. In order to survive and change their bad reputation from the public, they stepped up the quality of their cars and offered that 10 year /100K warranty. It was a marketing strategy that took another 10 years before people started noticing real improvements on the quality of their cars. Mid 2000 sales and quality improved and kept improving till now. I'd say they are now at par or close to it with Honda and Toyota and Nissan made vehicles. And that warranty surely sways new car buyers.

When I bought my first Hyundai for my daughter back in 2016 (2014 Elantra), I still can't shake off that nagging thought that its a Hyundai. But my research say its now reliable enough that it can last 200K. So I took a chance. So far so good. Although the Elantra 2013 is plagued with engine problem(tick of death) specially seen in Canada. I'm just crossing my fingers that the 2014 I got is not one of them. So yeah, every manufacturer got problematic models/years and its just the way it is. Do your research and hope its enough that you are not one of the statistics after you buy one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
From what I remember, Hyundai was a disposable car back in the late 80s early 90s. Twas a big joke like the Yugo. In order to survive and change their bad reputation from the public, they stepped up the quality of their cars and offered that 10 year /100K warranty. It was a marketing strategy that took another 10 years before people started noticing real improvements on the quality of their cars. Mid 2000 sales and quality improved and kept improving till now. I'd say they are now at par or close to it with Honda and Toyota and Nissan made vehicles. And that warranty surely sways new car buyers.

When I bought my first Hyundai for my daughter back in 2016 (2014 Elantra), I still can't shake off that nagging thought that its a Hyundai. But my research say its now reliable enough that it can last 200K. So I took a chance. So far so good. Although the Elantra 2013 is plagued with engine problem(tick of death) specially seen in Canada. I'm just crossing my fingers that the 2014 I got is not one of them. So yeah, every manufacturer got problematic models/years and its just the way it is. Do your research and hope its enough that you are not one of the statistics after you buy one.
It's funny that you say that. I still have that stigma in my mind. I remember joking about Yugo and Hyundai back in the late 80's.

I did consider a Hyundai right before going back to Nissan from Toyota. However the reviews I read weren't very positive about the comfort things (like quality of the seats). That, and my 30 year bias against Hyundai, sorta steered me back to the Nissan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In case anyone else stumbles upon this thread, just wanted to provide an update. My 2015 Murano was with the dealer for a week, during which they rebuilt the transmission. The dealer was nice enough to provide a courtesy vehicle. It would've cost over $1,600 just in parts to have this work done outside of warranty.

Is this in line with what others have experienced in resolving this issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had similar issues with my 2015 Murano. They replaced the valve body a couple of weeks ago and 2 days later it was doing the same thing. I am taking it in tomorrow to get it checked and they expect to have to replace the transmission. I have had issues since day one and all I am told is "If there is no error message so we can't do anything to it". I agree this is the first and probably last Nissan that I buy which sucks because I love everything else about the vehicle but it just pisses me off every time it does it and I take it to the dealer and tell me nothing can be done.
Just an update here, after taking it back in I was told the same thing as before if there is not an error code so the dealer can do nothing. So even if they drive it and feel it they can't fix it!! BULLSH*T !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts