Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should the CVT transmission oil be changed? The manual says at 30k miles for the most frequent service level, but either I'm blind or it doesn't show in the operating for normal driving.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Like the man said- whatever makes you happy. It is surely a synthetic based fluid, should last the life of the car in normal (not racing or towing) use.
I expect before most of us have to deal with changing it, the aftermarket (Amsoil, etc.) will save us.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Cryogenix said:
I just did my 30K service at around 27k, and the Service Manager said the tranny fluid was good for 60k. However, I told him to change it anyway, because I drive in Ds most of the time, which I'm sure breaks down the fluid much sooner than those who drive conservatively.

Whatever makes you feel happy. Cost was about $80.
The cost to replace the CVT fluid has come down if $80 was the cost of the fluid and the labor. Previous posts suggested a much higher cost just for the transmission fluid.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
HuskyFan said:

The cost to replace the CVT fluid has come down if $80 was the cost of the fluid and the labor. Previous posts suggested a much higher cost just for the transmission fluid.
It could have just been a drain and refill (in which case it would take 4-5 quarts) instead of the full 15 quart flush service the FSM recommends. When I asked my dealer service manager, he said they take a computer reading (see the other CVT fluid threads) and if the number is something like 250,000 or higher, the fluid needs to be replaced. He said even on a Murano with 60,000 miles, the number only came up like 2000 or 3000. I'm not sure what this number measures, even the dealer did not know (but its in the FSM).

I doubt we will ever see a suitable replacement aftermarket fluid for the CVT, since its a one of a kind transmission (no other car in the US uses it). A lot of new automatic transmissions come with proprietary fluids now - even the newer Nissans, which use a "Nissanmatic" type fluid (such as in the Maxima or 350Z).

On my old Maxima, I used Redline D4 ATF, and it was an excellent fluid, smoothed out the shifts quite a bit.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Eric L. said:

I doubt we will ever see a suitable replacement aftermarket fluid for the CVT, since its a one of a kind transmission (no other car in the US uses it). A lot of new automatic transmissions come with proprietary fluids now - even the newer Nissans, which use a "Nissanmatic" type fluid (such as in the Maxima or 350Z).
I guess nissan will join their European breathrens (bmw/audi/Merz Benz) by coming out with nissan propietary transmission fluid. This is a way for NNA to earn extra $$$ from their owner so that they can charge $8/quart or more for the transmission fluid.

My previous Audi A4 has auto transmission fluid that cost around $12/quart. I sent my audi to an independent garage and still have to go to the stealership to buy the ATF. Let say you use another type of fluid from autozone; not the el-cheapo ATF but the high quality synthetic well known brand name. When your transmission is kapput (German: break down), the manufacturer will easily blame it on the wrong type of ATF you use in there and decline your powertrain warranty.

Nissan, welcome to the world where everything is about money! :4:

·
The Member
104 Posts
My friend works as a Service Manager in the Nissan Dealership.
He told me that tranny service is REQUIRED at 30k miles and IF something will go wrong with tranny and they will not have the record it being serviced on time, Nissan has a right and most likely will void the warranty on tranny.
So i guess it is easier to do the service on time :)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
How can Nissan hold one to that given they don't mention an interval in the owners manual?

·
The Member
104 Posts
Gonzo said:
How can Nissan hold one to that given they don't mention an interval in the owners manual?
I never looked myself, but i belived that they did.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I'll look again. Of course I looked in my owers manual .PDF so maybe its missing information. However if you goto to Nissan's site under their maintenance schedule they only cover the CVT change for PM. Nothing for the S1 or S2.

I've sumerized it here in this table: Schedule

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
zebelkhan said:
What is PM, S1, S2?
PM = premimum maintenance plan
S1 = service schedule one (under the so called 'severe' driving condition like towing, stop and go, short distance driving of less than 10 minutes).
S2 = service schedule two (read: economy).

I always do the s1 plan on my murano. No point in doing the PM plan as it is just a bunch of 'inspect' this and that for twice the price of S1 :rolleyes: IMHO, the only difference the PM plan will make is at 30K service and 60K service.

Gonzo is right, S1 and S2 do not recommmend CVT fluid change at 30K.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I asked the Service Manager yesterday about recommended interval for CVT fluid change. His answer: 'the fluid is tested by us, and when it reaches around 250,000 on the analyzer, its time to change. Most of the older Muranos we see are around 6,000 or 7,000. A good thing, since it is about $700CAN for the service'

Silly me, I forgot to ask him when the fluid is 'analyzed'.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
bruno said:
I asked the Service Manager yesterday about recommended interval for CVT fluid change. His answer: 'the fluid is tested by us, and when it reaches around 250,000 on the analyzer, its time to change. Most of the older Muranos we see are around 6,000 or 7,000. A good thing, since it is about $700CAN for the service'

Silly me, I forgot to ask him when the fluid is 'analyzed'.
I paid less than $300 for the service, which was a change, not a flush. I'm going with a 45,000 mile interval.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
bruno said:
Tyler, why did you change CVT fluid?
Probably the same reason people change oil before Nissan's required 7500 mile interval. ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Could be Erick, but I'm curious as to what was the reason to spend the money. My tires are 50% worn out, but I'm not replacing them just yet.........

I can't find a specific interval in the manual, and Nissan service told me what I quoted verbatim above. Oddly, there does not seem to be a recommendation.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
bruno said:
BTW, Nissan recommends 6,000 km/3,750 miles oil changes for my Murano.....
3750 miles is the "severe" duty interval. 7500 is the "normal" interval (which doesn't apply to anyone except those who drive freeway all the time).

Most people here who replace their CVT fluid earlier do so because the CVT is new technology and the thinking is that frequent maintenance will stave an expensive failure in the future. I'm rolling up on 30,000 miles and am really debating whether to have my CVT serviced just for peace of mind.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I changed it because I drive my Murano pretty much as hard as possible. I'm constantly flooring it, and instead of letting the engine go to redline, I hold it on the torque peaks to get even better acceleration. I "downshift" before stopping almost all the time. Those types of activities are bound to shorten the life of the CVT, and I want to maximize the life I get from it. Peace of mind. Kind of like how I use synthetic oil and change it every 3750 miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts