Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up to 14,000 miles on my 03 AWD SE and I really like the Murano overall, especially for a 4,000 LB SUV. I don't think it can be beaten by much of anything out there on the road in its class as far as an overall great road trip vehicle (which is the purpose I had in mind when I bought it).

I have noticed however that the Murano has some distinctly different operating characteristics than other Nissan vehicles I own (or have owned).

In particular, I think the CVT makes me much more aware of it's operating temperature than any other type of automatic transmission I have owned.

When starting first thing in the cold mornings, it provides a distinctly different sensation. It feels to me like the transmission fluid is very thick and not flowing well. Gas mileage is way down, vehicle is overall kind of sluggish in general, and noise (from CVT?) is up significantly during this 2-3 mile (5-7 minutes) warm up period.

Once it's warm, everything is fine and I love the CVT's responsiveness and the seamless way it operates and the gas efficiency (for 4,000 LB vehicle) but that first 2-3 miles in the morning takes some getting used to.

I'm now wondering if all vehicles have these cold operating characteristics and we just notice them more in the Murano because of the CVT, or if it's just my general paranoia about the CVT's long term reliability that causes my increased awareness?

Anyone care to share their comments or similar experiences?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I notice a sluggishness to my Murano as well for the first minute or so as well. I got use to it though and it doesn't bother me anymore.

·
Registered
418 Posts
In our part of the country its been a long, cold winter. The CVT performed well. At cold startup, all fluids are thicker and contribute to a sluggish feeling, poorer mileage, etc. The CVT fluid is more viscous (I read it has rubber molecules in it) than normal trans fluid. The slightly higher vibration/noise at cold startup is because of the liquid filled motor mounts, according to some, which makes sense. Because the CVT has such different operating characteristics, I know I seem to be more aware of what it is doing.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Don't forget that until the CVT fluid reaches operating temperature the torque converter will not lock up. This raises the RPMs, as an unlocked torque converter is a viscous coupling. All automatics work this way, although not all CVTs (Audi's for example, does not have a torque converter).

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think any car/truck will perform differently in cold start conditions, it is not just a condition that is present in the CVT equiped Murano's.

You can try to do what I do, I start the MO and let it idle for about 10-15 minutes (I wait in a nice warm house.)

I will get a remote start for the Mo once I can find on that works well :)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I noticed the same thing.... I runs at higher RPM on the highway until it reaches temp. My wife's Lexus RX300 drives me crazy... Lexus limits the shift point until the eninge and/or tranny warms up. It kills me that if you are going a certain speed you are at 3K RPM and it has not shifted yet until temps warm up. Oooouch I feel like I'm hurting the car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Moe is definitly a different beast when he first wakes up on a cold morning. He doesn't like being rushed, but when he gets a few blocks down the street, he becomes very likeable :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it's pretty cool (once your CVT is warmed up) to watch the vehicle get up to 60MPH without ever going over 1500 RPM. Granted it takes a soft foot and a little patience but it will do it.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I also notice slightly decreased performance in the morning while the CVT is still cold. I have to quickly turn and accelerate onto a fast road at a blind intersection, so I need to punch the gas pretty hard. It revs to 3500 RPM, but doesn't feel nearly as powerful as when the vehicle is all warmed up. It still plenty fast though, I have never found the CVT to choose the wrong ratio when I really need acceleration.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Anyone else notice this odd behavior? After driving in city traffic all day I get tired of sitting at incessant stop lights with my foot on the brake so I put the trans in Neutral until green. After sitting waiting for the light and putting back into "D" I experience neck snapping initial acceleration. This doesn't happen if I keep it in gear with foot on the brake. Any ideas? What happens with the CVT while idling in neutral?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
midnitexpress said:
Anyone else notice this odd behavior? After driving in city traffic all day I get tired of sitting at incessant stop lights with my foot on the brake so I put the trans in Neutral until green. After sitting waiting for the light and putting back into "D" I experience neck snapping initial acceleration. This doesn't happen if I keep it in gear with foot on the brake. Any ideas? What happens with the CVT while idling in neutral?
Well for one thing putting the transmission takes the idling load off the torque converter - thereby allowing the transmission fluid to cool down. This was a trick Honda owners had to do to prevent their automatics from cooking themselves during the Odyssey/Accord/TL/CL fiasco of a year ago. Perhaps the CVT fluid doesn't function as well when hot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts