Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 MO SL, w/12K miles. Love the car, and zero problems ... but:

I continue to have a sense that the CVT isn't programmed to provide optimal power to drivetrain, under hard acceleration. Here's my argument:

1) Try this... while going down the highway at 55 mph, floor it. Engine revs quickly to 4500+ and makes plenty of noise, but I get the feeling that the computer selected CVT ratio is too high.

2) Now... still floored, at around 70mph, let slowly off of the accelerator .... notice the surge in acceleration? It feels like an afterburner is kicking in. Is this my imagination, or is the CVT allowing a more optimal gear ratio (and torque to wheels) when engine power is reduced?

3) The feeling, I suppose, is much like being in a speedboat (or airplane?), with a variable pitch prop, and flooring it, and then adjusting the prop pitch when the boat/plane comes up to speed.

4) I've not tested yet, but I suspect that a better 55-80mph acceleration time could be had by NOT flooring it, and seeking that optimal engine RPM to torque range?

Please understand, I'm not complaining... the MO acceleration is wonderful ... I just want the CVT to be everything I want it to be.

Here's my question (Nissan engineers, wouldn't it be great if you were really here ... are you listening?):

Couldn't the CVT programming be updated via software, to provide a more optimal ratio for acceleration, OR, is this a designed in software "governor" to insure that the CVT belt can live to 100K+ miles? I'd really like to know...

Other long term MO owners... what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I know your observations were mentioned before.

i.e. from Kris "Hm……..Interesting observation. I had same feeling. At least twice. Accelerated by depressing the pedal fully. Then when I was backing off, probably doing 60 mph I felt some kind of surge of power. Definitely will have to do some testing. Later this week I guess."

Here is the link:

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=274&highlight=acceleration

·
5,268 Posts
I am getting the same feeling.........you floor it, it start accelerating and when you letting it off slightly you feel like an after burner switching in.........sometimes it think i would be better off just flooring it and relatively quickly backing off like 20% or so..........

I have no idea why it is...........

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Not only with the Murano, but with many other cars IMO, as they become more tied to computer programs, some of the more efficient hop up tricks will be done by people hacking the programs.

Homer

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I really like this feeling, it's kind of like a turbo spinning up. I think what might be happening is the CVT ratio is allowed to change faster than the engine RPMs drop, using the extra engine speed to produce a bit more acceleration.

·
5,268 Posts
Tyler_Canada

yes, I too like this feeling! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts