Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, it's a bit early but some of you road kings have really racked up some miles on your beloved MO. Has anyone as of yet done a service on your CVT. If yes, was it a power flush type deal that has become popular with most automatics? If anyone has done this please post your mileage or the recomended mileage to do this service. Heck, not alot going on down there in the CVT, a couple of belts moving up and down a cone should mean a long interval between service. I'm guessing if anyone had anything done it was at the dealer, I mean, who else is qualified? I'm sure we are all interested so please jump in and tell us. Also, how much did the dealer charge for this service?
Thanks Bob1

·
5,268 Posts
I have read the service manual a few days ago. I was surprised to see that it recommends only inspections every 30k miles! There is no mention of fluid replacement, power flash etc. I guess I will stick with it. I have 5 years/100k miles warranty so I do not want to dive Nissan any “excuses”.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I too would like to know how much people have paid for the service.

Most manufacturers service intervals for automatic transmissions are far too long. I plan on changing mine every 30k, even if thats "overmaintaining" the CVT. I don't want to take any chances with it.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I'm having mine done tomorrow. It will be at about 75,000km or 45,000 miles. I thought the manual recommended every 30k miles and required every 60k miles, so I went for half way in between. I don't know the price yet.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Had mine done last week at 30,050 miles. It was six qts at 29.95 each for the "plasma" and the labor was built in to the 30k service price.

Total 30k service (including the plasma) for me was $600 which I know is a lot but .02 a mile isn't terrible (IMO) for the piece of mind that comes with a dealer serviced vehicle.

As far as being able to tell a difference in how the CVT operates now, nope, no discernible difference to me.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
WOW! What else did they do for $600 ?????????? GRIP

·
5,268 Posts
For Schedule 1, service manual says: replace CVT fluid every 60k miles when towing or driving on mudy roads. See below.

I believe that replacing CVT fluid every 30k miles is waste of money. just my 2c....

Attachments

·
5,268 Posts
For schedule 2 you will see inspections only

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
Kris said:
Service manual says: replace CVT fluid every 60k miles when towing or driving on mudy roads. See below.

I believe that replacing CVT fluid every 30k miles is waste of money. just my 2c....
I figured the first change would be the most important one and I will go to the 60k service from this point forward. I never intended to do it every 30k.

I just decided that I wanted to have 100% confidence that the CVT would be broken in correctly and last for a couple hundred thousand miles like my other Nissan transmissions. For the record, the service manager also told me it wasn't scheduled until 60k.

The rest of the service cost (basically $300 in labor) was lubricating all moving parts (seat slides, door hinges etc., and checking basically everything on the vehicle to make sure it's within operating limits. Tire rotation and balance, changing air filter and cabin filter, oil change, new wiper blades, and some other stuff I can't recall right now.

With as many miles as I drive and the fact that as a 100% commissioned employee, I have to get to work or I have no chance at earning any income, for me, it's relatively cheap.

·
5,100 Posts
Thanks, Do you lose your warranty if you don't have a dealer do those things. ? GRIP :D

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Kris said:
For Schedule 1, service manual says: replace CVT fluid every 60k miles when towing or driving on mudy roads. See below.

Given that I drive my Murano in a way that puts it outside the design specs (by keeping the RPMs on the torque peak a lot), I figure I'd better change the fluid a bit more often than required.

But not every 30k miles.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW! What else did they do for $600 ??????????
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Geez Louise, for 600 bucks I hope the cashier at the dealership gives you a big wet sloppy kiss after you fork over the money!!

Glad I opened this thread and thanks so far to everyone that has jumped in. Tyler, please post some results/price after your service.

I hope one day someone will give us info on the used fluid, is it dirty discolored, just some info to give the rest of us some idea what is actually going on in the CVT.

As far as my MO, scheduled-2 for sure. No dust, no towing and absoultley no off roading. I have plenty of time to save up for this one.

Bob1

·
5,100 Posts
In looking at the service as outlined above, Am I correct that the "Inspect" is what you get for the $60 and the"Replace, if Required" would incur an added cost? I am really serious about the question do you lose you warranty? if you don't have a Dealer do this. First as an automotive engineer I can do these inspections my self and second if not I would get them done by a less costly source. I AM NOT KNOCKING YOU for having it done. It is just my personal perspective, kind of like of why I have red calipers, "I want to". GRIP :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had mine changed at 60,000 km as recommended by the dealer. I accept very little other advice, as I stick with Castrol full synthetic motor oil every 10-15,000 k despite what they tend to recommend and mark on their stickers. The CVT fluid change in Toronto cost was 6 x 29.95 for the CVTNS2 fluid plus 1/2 hour labour 44.50, for a total of C$224.20 plus taxes. Fair price for peace of mind, especially since my vehicle has been so good to me.:2:

·
5,100 Posts
Wonder what is in the CVT fluid that makes it worth $30 bucks a gal. other than markup. Lack of competion does wonders for profit. GRIP :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
That's $30 per litre actually, so that makes it about $120.00 per gallon. At least they did not add an environmental disposal surcharge.

·
Registered
418 Posts
GRIP - I remembering reading somewhere the CVT fluid has "rubber" in it...the rubber granules provide a better "grip" (unintentional pun) for the pulleys on the steel belt ...its not your average transmission fluid.

·
5,268 Posts
My understanding is that the CVT fluid is a type of synthetic “oil”. It can withstand high temperature without breaking. Also it has specific properties that allow belt/pulley for better traction without damaging them. Now, what exactly it is probably only Nissan and JATCO know.

The CVT has been in cars around the world for many years now. It would be interesting to see what others do. Anybody out there has any information?

·
5,100 Posts
Thanks for the info! I am going to join in the seacrch for info. I still have friends in the "Fluids" industry in Detroit and will see if I can find out anything. Maybe we can get a deal for MO Members. Anybody know details about the JATCO part numbeer for our CVT? GRIP :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
The only number that showed up on my invoice was 99998-CVTNS2, and I assume that is a Nissan number. I am not familiar with what a JATCO number is?

I suppose a trip to your local parts department may allow you to see some extra information on the bottle that might help. Yes, C$180.00 for 6 lites of fluid is a lot of money.........

1 - 20 of 35 Posts