Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NIssan recommends that the CVT transmission fluid be changed at 30,000 miles. Has anyone had it done? I have 27,560 and was in the dealer today to have a couple TSB's taken care of. Transmission Fluid change on a CVT is $349.00 before taxes. Dealer says the Fluid cost $28.00 a quart. I tried to work out a deal to get the price down a bit seeing that if I didnt have a CVT it would cost $79.00. He said if I had the 60,000 mile service completed they could knock the cost down to $139.00 for the transmission service for a grand total of $728.00 for the full service. No thanks I dont need to spend $728.00 to have the Nissan Service guy Change my oil, put in a new air filter, Put in a new microfilter, Change Transmission fluid and inspect 25 things like my windshield wipers and head light alignment.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I thought it was recommended at 60k.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Egads $350! I was hoping to change it myself every 15k! I guess at $28/qt, it won't be possible.

·
5,268 Posts
Nissan recommends changing it at 30k in PM (Premium Maintenance) schedule and 60k at S1 and S2 schedules (what ever it means!). I would say if you inspect it at 30k and change at 60k you should be OK. Unless you are towing a lot……..

Check this link out to find the answers:
maintenance intervals

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Well with a conventional automatic, the service intervals tend to be similar, but I've always changed it myself every 15k because it was relatively cheap (even using Redline D4 ATF which was $7/quart). But at $28/quart I guess I will stick with Nissan's recommendations.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I plan on trying to change it myself.... the service manual just calls for:

"Drain CVT fluid from CVT fluid cooler hose (return side) and refill with new CVT fluid at CVT fluid charging pipe with the engine running at idle speed. Refill until new CVT fluid comes out from CVT fluid cooler hose (return side). About 30 to 50% extra fluid will be required for this procedure."

However I can't tell which is the from or to line to the cooler from the service manual and are you suppose to drain it then run the engine while adding it? There isn't any fluid in it until you add it, why start the engine until you get at least something into it?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think you drain it with the engine off (else it will pump all the fluid out) and then refill it with the engine on. At $28/qt, it will be very expensive (if thats how much the fluid REALLY costs).

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I think maybe you drain and fill at the same time, with the engine running. Basically you push the old fluid out with the new fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kris said:
Nissan recommends changing it at 30k in PM (Premium Maintenance) schedule and 60k at S1 and S2 schedules (what ever it means!). I would say if you inspect it at 30k and change at 60k you should be OK. Unless you are towing a lot……..

Check this link out to find the answers:
maintenance intervals
It's a bit confusing. Looks like if you follow S1 or S2 schedules you never change it. It is only changed if you follow the premium maintanence (PM) schedule. Not sure though.

·
5,268 Posts
Actually Nissan says:

“Replace (not just inspect) oil if towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads”.

Yes, you are right. It is confusing. I will probably replace the fluid at 60k regardless……

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Changing the transmission fluid at 60k still seems long to me, despite the "advanced" (aka expen$ive) fluid the CVT uses.

Its sort of like thinking spark plugs will last 105,000 miles. I guess they can, and by that time (unless you drive 25,000 miles per year), as Tom and Ray on Cartalk like to say, the plugs have "become one with the engine." Cartalk actually suggests taking the plugs out, inspecting them, and installing them every 15,000 miles (the Murano makes that difficult because the intake manifold is in the way).

When I had a normal automatic in my Maxima, I drained and refilled every 15k, and had a flush at 60k. Due to the high cost of the CVT fluid, I'll probably do a drain and refill every 30k. Might be a bit excessive, but I'm not taking any chances with this new transmission.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
When i had my previous euro car, the service manager told me ...

that audi/vw/mercedezbenz transmission fluid is lifetime. Meaning: it is designed not to be replaced for the entire life ot the vehicle. When i mentioned i wanna replaced the trainny fluid, the service manager looked at me at disbelief.

As crazy as it sounds, i did call audi/vw of america and they also say: "lifetime".

I replaced them anyway at 60K
If my trainny blew, i dont think those who say "it is lifetime" gonna replace it for me at no charge right? :p
Oh yeah, the transmission fluid for euro car cost around 14/0.5 quartz. :p . Total is around $200 dollars including labor.
A blown trainny cost around $4000.

Moral of story:
- trainy fluid is designed to last long (unlike engine oil).
- depending on your driving style/destination/usage, you may have to replace it earlier. 30K if you are towing/off roading.
- I am going to replace my mo cvt fluid at 60K
- replacing it early naturally will give a peace of mind but $$$ is the matter here right gentlemen?
- lifetime fluid.. nahhh, dont think so :eek:

·
5,268 Posts
ekaxel,

I am pretty sure that given the extreme conditionc for the CVT fluid, the current one is synthetic.........

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I'm going to replace my spark plugs and CVT fluid at 45k miles. Half way between Recommended and S1 schedules.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks

Just got some time to check the thread I started here and I appriciate the comments. I guess I can wait for the 60K Change. That will only be $728.00 for the full service. What a Deal. Or maybe just turn it in at the end of the Lease with 60K on it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
I'm going to replace my spark plugs and CVT fluid at 45k miles. Half way between Recommended and S1 schedules.
I discussed this with my Nissan service manager Monday and he confirmed (after a day of researching) the Nissan suggestion of 60,000 miles unless your towing or using a cartop carrier "frequently".

I think the 45k idea Tyler tossed out makes a lot of sense.

It gets you in between service schedules, (reduces the possibility of a negligence claim from a dealer) and it gives both you and the dealer a look at the condition of the CVT (via the fluid condition) well before your power train warranty expires.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I'm not going to take a chance with the CVT. Even though the fluid is a special high quality synthetic, I plan on having the dealer change it every 30,000 miles. As for the platinum plugs, I'll go with 60,000 miles and have the dealer do it as well since the right bank is beneath that awful intake manifold and way back in the engine compartment.

Everything else I'll change myself at home.

·
5,268 Posts
Anybody out there changed the CVT fluid?

It would be interteresting to see how much the dealer charged you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts