Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2016 Nissan Murano which I bought used in August, 2021 (it had 117K miles at that time (I have bought Nissan/Infinity cars before including an XTerra and Infinity G35 each of which I drove to over 200K+ miles without any problems). I recently took my Murano car in for maintenance service and found from the shop that its CVT Transmission needs to be replaced (!!) which was shocking to say the least. My question is it possible for approach Nissan to help out with the situation. I believe that needing to have the transmission replaced at 124K miles means that it had to have manufacturing defects. Feedback regarding any other options on how to deal with the situation would be very helpful Thank you, Saqib (Woodside, CA)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
DId you take the car in for service due to issues with the CVT, or did the garage just happen to discover it was bad? Do you fully trust this garage? Did they tell you exactly why the CVT needs to be replaced? Were there trouble codes related to the CVT? If so, what were the codes? Did they drain the CVT fluid and/or drop the CVT pan and find a lot of metal shavings? It's a known fact that some garages want to make some easy money by charging the customer for a big job while in fact doing minimal work that's inexpensive. For this purpose, let's say they want to charge you $5000 to replace the CVT, and all they'll relly do is pressure wash the CVT housing, add some new fluid and then maybe reprogram the TCM and reset the CVT fluid deterioration count. The main thing is, there was never any real problem with the CVT, but they saw a chance to make a $4000+ profit off someone who may not know any better. Get a second opinion. If the car drives fine, get another mechanic and drive happy until the CVT starts acting up..

Reactions: I need coffee

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Get a second opinion. If the car drives fine, get another mechanic and drive happy until the CVT starts acting up..
This. Any time a shop tells you that you need an expensive repair, always get another opinion from a reputable shop (preferably independent).

If you noticed no problems with how the car drives then be skeptical, but it could be that the mechanic scanned for codes and found a transmission-related trouble code which often do not cause a warning light to come on. Does the work order have any description of how the transmission problem was diagnosed? If so, post it or upload a copy to the forums (redact any personal info).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Following is what the shop came up with (in addition to the CVT replacement, they are also recommending thermostat and wheel bearing replacement). I took the car in due to a vibration-type noise coming from the front (which they tell me is due to the wheel bearing).

CS 0 Noises in front end... 0.00 0.00
EC 042
Check engine light is on inspect and advise 430.00 430.00
Diagnosis Fuel Injection/ignition system 0.00
--- Includes:Visual inspection,fuel pressure test & electronic engine 0.00
control system test.
Connect scanner to extract codes P0456 EVAP very small leak;.. Cleared,
Not diagnosed P0128 Thermosat malfuction, engine under
temp P17F1 CVT Judder (CV Inspection) Current
code Perform dynamic test on sensors,
actuators, solenoids ETC as necessary...
clear codes, reset adaptation, road test
DT 0
Remove & Replace Wheel Bearing - Front, Both 430.00 479.90 909.90
2.00 Wheel Hub Assembly 479.90
CO 0
Remove & Replace Thermostat 408.50 60.93 469.43
1.00 Thermostat Assembly 35.15
1.00 COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE ( 25.78
TR 0
Remove & Install Transaxle Assembly 3063.75 3155.43 6219.18
1.00 REB TRANSAXLE 2995.51
8.00 CVT Fluid Type N-3 ( 159.92

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
So it cost $430 just for them to read the trouble codes and inspect some things? Seems very pricey.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems they cleared the CVT code and didn't indicate it returned. However, if that code is correct, your CVT appears to be part of a recall, which (I think) could mean the CVT is free but you'll have to pay for labor. Refer to this... https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10167365-0001.pdf

Is that $6,219 to replace both transaxkles, or am I'm not understanding what I'm seeing? If that's the cost, that's highway robbery. Oh wait... 3rd Gen Murano. I'm used to 1st Gen prices. Maybe that is correct. If so...yikes!

I'd defintely get a second opinion and see if CVT DTC P17F1 has returned, and I would ask to be present when they read the TCM to pull the code, to be 100% sure if's correct and not pulled from some other car that they might keep on their scanner to show you.

Reactions: dusman59

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for your feedback and passing the link to the recall notice, I will definitely get a 2nd opinion, one quick question, what is a "TCM"?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Thank you. Following is what the shop came up with (in addition to the CVT replacement, they are also recommending thermostat and wheel bearing replacement). I took the car in due to a vibration-type noise coming from the front (which they tell me is due to the wheel bearing).

CS 0 Noises in front end... 0.00 0.00
EC 042
Check engine light is on inspect and advise 430.00 430.00
Diagnosis Fuel Injection/ignition system 0.00
--- Includes:Visual inspection,fuel pressure test & electronic engine 0.00
control system test.
Connect scanner to extract codes P0456 EVAP very small leak;.. Cleared,
Not diagnosed P0128 Thermosat malfuction, engine under
temp P17F1 CVT Judder (CV Inspection) Current
DT 0
Remove & Replace Wheel Bearing - Front, Both 430.00 479.90 909.90
2.00 Wheel Hub Assembly 479.90
CO 0
Remove & Replace Thermostat 408.50 60.93 469.43
1.00 Thermostat Assembly 35.15
1.00 COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE ( 25.78
TR 0
Remove & Install Transaxle Assembly 3063.75 3155.43 6219.18
1.00 REB TRANSAXLE 2995.51
8.00 CVT Fluid Type N-3 ( 159.92
Was all of this work performed? If not, what has been done so far?

Is the CVT replacement (Remove & Install Transaxle Assembly 3063.75 3155.43 6219.18) an estimate of what it 'may' cost?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The formatting of what you copied/pasted makes it difficult to ascertain the actual costs they're charging, but the CVT judder problem in earliers years of the 3rd generation is a known issue as indicated by the TSB. It's likely that the valve body (not the entire transmission) needs to be replaced and the TCM reprogrammed. This is a case where I would suggest taking the car to a Nissan dealership only to diagnose the P17F1. The wheel bearings and thermostat are DIY jobs if you have some mechanical ability and tools, but you can go to a website like repairpal.com and see if the prices they're quoting you are reasonable for your area if you would rather a shop do the work.

EDIT: I think I understand the figures now. The first number is the labor charge and the 2nd is the total for parts. So, the shop is charging $3,063.75 labor and $3,155.43 for a "rebuilt" CVT and 8 quarts of NS-3 fluid for a total of $6,219.18. The transmission cost might be reasonable for what a shop would charge if they're buying the transmission directly from Nissan, but their labor rate is crazy high--it must be over $200/hr (e.g. the diagnostic fee they charged you was $430). Definitely look around, especially if you're going to have a shop do all this work. On a side note, it's interesting that they just cleared the EVAP code and elected not to try and diagnose that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The formatting of what you copied/pasted makes it difficult to ascertain the actual costs they're charging, but the CVT judder problem in earliers years of the 3rd generation is a known issue as indicated by the TSB. It's likely that the valve body (not the entire transmission) needs to be replaced and the TCM reprogrammed. This is a case where I would suggest taking the car to a Nissan dealership only to diagnose the P17F1. The wheel bearings and thermostat are DIY jobs if you have some mechanical ability and tools, but you can go to a website like repairpal.com and see if the prices they're quoting you are reasonable for your area if you would rather a shop do the work.

EDIT: I think I understand the figures now. The first number is the labor charge and the 2nd is the total for parts. So, the shop is charging $3,063.75 labor and $3,155.43 for a "rebuilt" CVT and 8 quarts of NS-3 fluid for a total of $6,219.18. The transmission cost is reasonable for what a shop would charge, but their labor rate is crazy high--it must be over $200/hr (e.g. the diagnostic fee they charged you was $430). Definitely look around, especially if you're going to have a shop do all this work. On a side note, it's interesting that they just cleared the EVAP code and elected not to try and diagnose that.
Thanks you, yes, I will take into a different shop for a 2nd opinion , diagnosis.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it cost $430 just for them to read the trouble codes and inspect some things? Seems very pricey.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems they cleared the CVT code and didn't indicate it returned. However, if that code is correct, your CVT appears to be part of a recall, which (I think) could mean the CVT is free but you'll have to pay for labor. Refer to this... https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10167365-0001.pdf

Is that $6,219 to replace both transaxkles, or am I'm not understanding what I'm seeing? If that's the cost, that's highway robbery. Oh wait... 3rd Gen Murano. I'm used to 1st Gen prices. Maybe that is correct. If so...yikes!

I'd defintely get a second opinion and see if CVT DTC P17F1 has returned, and I would ask to be present when they read the TCM to pull the code, to be 100% sure if's correct and not pulled from some other car that they might keep on their scanner to show you.
How can I confirm that above referenced recall notice applies and that the materials may be free, should I call Nissan or have the shop I I may go with call NIssan?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
IMO, their parts pricing for the wheel bearing hub is insane, and the labor even more ridiculous. Wheel bearing hubs for the 1st Gen typically ran between $80-$160, and the time to do per side (if the hub isn't rusted/frozen) was about 1.5-2 hours. Used to take me about 45-60 minutes on my 1st Gen MO.

As it was mentioned, the valve body probably just needs to be replaced, which means the labor involved is reduced by about at least 80%. You probably should consult a Nissan Service Manager to get a better understanding of what the recall entails. Do they have to replace the entire CVT and transfer case (if AWD) or just the valve body? It's important to know because a garage might try to charge you for unbolting and removing the entire CVT housing from the engine and transfer case, when really all they're doing is removing the CVT pan, unbolting the valve body and then bolting in the new one, and then charing you for the actual full job. It says a lot about the garage you went to that after pulling that CVT TCM code that didn't mention anything to you about the recall. Maybe they were hoping to get the job, get the new valve body and install it, and charge you for an entire CVT labor and parts replacement and then pocket the difference. Point being, they may charge you for a part that's actually free to you under the terms of the recall, but they don't want you to know that...

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
Anything in this job that can go to an independent shop (such as wheel hubs) should not be done by a dealer. They're robbing you.

Reactions: Cryogenix1

·
Registered
315 Posts
No don't let that first shop do a thing for you. From what is posted here it sounds like they are a den of wolves, crooks etc. I would not let them touch the vehicle. Are they well know in the area?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
IMO, their parts pricing for the wheel bearing hub is insane
You're thinking like a DIYer ;). The quote is for both front wheel bearings so $479.90 is $239.95 apiece, which is probably within the realm of what a shop would charge for parts since repair shops always mark up parts to pad their profits--sometimes up to 200-300% or more depending on the part. For reference, Autozone is selling the Duralast wheel hub for $127.99 apiece right now so if that is where the shop is sourcing their parts then it's about an 87.5% markup. People start their own business to make money so I can't fault a shop for trying to make a nice profit, but at the same time this is usually kept in check by the fact that there is competition in the area so a customer can shop around for the best price. The labor rate seems sky high though. It may be the case that shops have dramatically increased rates/markups to compensate for recent inflationary pressures.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yeah, I misread what that estimate was saying. I thought the two different $400 figures were for each side, and thought the bearing hub on one side must be more expensive. I thought the $900 figure was just for parts, and that the last $400 figure on the next line was the cost of labor. I didn't really examine it enough... :) I don't mind a markiup of 30%, since I realize shops have a lot of overhead and they also need to make a profit. The one the OP is using seems extra-pricey.

·
Registered
6 Posts
P17F1 CVT Judder (CV Inspection) Current
I had this same code in my 2016 3.5 Altima. The dealer told me there were two possible repairs for it depending on the outcome of the diagnostics, either a complete CVT replacement or a valve body replacement. Both would have been covered under the then powertrain warranty. It needed just the valve body, and the car came alive in terms of performance after the repair. Nissan created code P17F1 to alert them of CVT issues before they become major, and cause damage to the CVT.

·
Registered
6 Posts

A technical service bulletin isn't a recall. It's designed to aid in diagnosis and provide a known fix (either at cost or free if under a warranty or service plan) for the vehicle to the technician.

·
Registered
2016 Murano S FWD
1 Posts
A technical service bulletin isn't a recall. It's designed to aid in diagnosis and provide a known fix (either at cost or free if under a warranty or service plan) for the vehicle to the technician.
My local garage said the Murano CVT has issues after 100k. I have a 5 year extended warranty, because I read up on the "recalls" and what Nissan offered. I'm not having any issues at 82k (thank goodness), and a skilled mechanic inspection revealed no obvious issues (I know that doesn't really mean much). It's driving really nicely atm, so fingers crossed I have a good one.

However, the valve body versus CVT replacement is new news. How many unscrupulous places told people they needed a CVT replacement, just to make some bucks? I always check my codes, and how the system says it's doing, but we'll see.

Good luck with getting yours fixed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts