Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
I'm considering purchasing a new Murano but am a bit nervous about the cvt transmission. I'm a Realtor in Ontarios cottage country I put on about 50-60k a year on dirt back roads up and down hills on and off the gas constently. What I want to know is has anybody put high mileage on a Murano and how does the cvt perform after a number of miles say 80-100k or more. Would also be interested in know about the gas mileage I've heard conflicting stories about mileage from 16 mpg to 24 transport canada says it gets 32 mpg.

Any answers would be great.

Dave

·
4,664 Posts
Hey Dave, welcome!

I don't think anyone has hit that kind of milage yet. For the hills, the CVT's better than anything you've ever driven, so no worries there...

It's easy to be heavy on the gas with the Murano and not know it, since the transmission's so smooth. As result, your fuel milage won't be as good as it could be, without some brain retraining.

Even so, I wouldn't say it's steller, but it can be good.

One more comment on the hills. Set the cruise control and it does the speed pretty well. Even down hills, there's a braking effect from the CVT, so it can really "flatten out" the up and down, as far as speed goes. Good way to beat the radar traps.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Welcome,

Not sure if you're going to find anyone here with 80-100k miles on their Mo. I'm at 16 months and 32k. Also, I would be amazed if anyone got 32 mpg with their Mo. My best is 27, and that's on a flat highway, with cruise control, for about a half mile stretch!!

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, come to think of it, mines the same.... I'm at 18 months as well. Usually it's worse for me, as the Murano's so much fun to drive.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Someone posted on here with over 50k miles, no problems with the CVT. It waws comforting to me. Audi has been using them for a few years now with thier 3.0 V6, they have been great! I have been very happy with mine. But very unhappy with Nissan... If the car weren't so terriffic, I would get something else.. We'll drive it for a couple more years, then explore my options then. Doubtfully another Nissan...

·
Registered
62 Posts
davers said:
Hi folks
...I've heard conflicting stories about mileage from 16 mpg to 24 transport canada says it gets 32 mpg. Dave
Be cautious about the US/CAN conversion. I got caught in this when I first bought mine. Most of the discussion on this site is in US MPG. The transport canada rating is in UK MPG. Converting the 32 back to US MPG is about 26.

·
4,664 Posts
krpster said:
Also the trip computer in the MO displays in US MPG.
Which gets really confusing if you think it's British Gallons... But of course, we were told not to use those 30 years ago...

I use the MPG, not the KM one, because I still think in Miles, not Km. (Km is KiloMiles, right?) ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Would also be interested in know about the gas mileage I've heard conflicting stories about mileage from 16 mpg to 24 transport canada says it gets 32 mpg.
I can't help you with longevity issues - I only have 15,000 km - but 8,000 were just rung up on roads between Alberta and Alaska/Yukon much like the ones you describe and worse, some much worse. And bonus for you, I'm also a Canuckistani and a realtor as well. So far, this has been an excellent work vehicle - very comfy. classy, roomy and no problems of any note.

The Murano handles beautifully on the hillies and twisties, at speed or just cruising.

As for mileage (all numbers in Imperial MPG) - we all know what to think of Transport Canada numbers! My actual average mileage for 8000 kms of 'highway' was 23.15 mpg, on roads ranging from paved, decent roads to bad gravel and some goat tracks. The lowest was 18 mpg, recorded on a 3 1/2 hour stretch of excellent remote, no traffic, hilly twisty pavement near Ft. Nelson where I was running hard at 150-160 kmh (95-100 mph for our American friends). The best was 26.8 mpg travelling the standard 10 kph over speed limit of 90-110 kph, through the mountains Prince -George to Jasper and east into Alberta. If I were driving at or near the speed limit on flattish roads/freeways, I'd be getting 27-28 mpg consistently. 32 mpg just isn't going to happen under any conditions except Transport Canada dynos.

The good news is that I think those real world numbers are much better than anything in its class. I have friends and colleagues driving Envoys, Durangos, Forerunner,Pathfinder, BMW, Mercedes, Explorer and others and none of them get anything close to that sort of fuel economy.

Around town (which is much of the 40k annually I drive) I get 15-17 US mpg(off the trip computer) which is around 20 IMP MPG - and I leadfoot it a lot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Another Realtor here with 30,000k on a SL Starting to see a patern here!

I get 15 to 17 mpg US around town hwy 21 to 23 tend to lead foot it a bit as I have babied it and found it does not produce that much better gas milage and is no fun at all.

My reasons for going with the murano after three mininvans were
1) coundn't bear to drive a minivan any more
2) at 6"3 only vehicle with knee room for me sitting behind me.
3) shoulder room on par with my minivans
4) gas milage ( did not expect published but if I drove any other suv as hard and fast as I drive the mo mileage would be sub 10's
5) Cool looks.

Clients never fail to comment on the Murano and how comfortable it is. Road noise is not an issue so conversation is easy AC is good but heater is a little slow to warm on our -30c mornings but heated seats save the day.

My big complaint Nissan service sucks my average visit to the dealer results in a return visit to fix what the broke or fouled up the time before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts