Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and Last Murano
Guess what? Tranny took a Crap @ 6024 miles. Fun to drive but now not to sure about longevity of car.Should have got a Chevy Trail-Blazer LTZ for the same cost... Anybody else had a tranny fail? (Internal differential) :mad:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Sorry to hear about your CVT.... but a Chevy instead.... "just let the frustration pass......"

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow, too bad about the tranny. I have driven mine 20K really hard miles, and no problems... Sounds to me like yours just had a manufature defect. Not an engineering weakness... But a Chevrolet?? Where are you getting that logic?

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Keep us posted on what is the possible explanation

that nisan mechanic give you on the caused of the damage.

It maybe just a defective parts.
There is 5 year waranty anyway on powertrain.

Also, what are the symptoms on your damage cvt ? loss acceleration? Wont go in gear at all?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A sharp clunck and bang that was intermintant,You could feel it and here it ., Very unsafe to drive just 2 houses down after pulling out of my driveway in the morning...The previous night,,,car was fine...no warning what-so-ever...Called Nisson and I demanded the car be flat-bed-towed. Service manager states a new tranny be shipped from Calf. It happened Mon.26-04 Job should Be done Friday 27th. He thinks it is the differential in the tranny And saw metal chip in fluid,,but who knows without dissassembly.,which they don't and won't do... :3: P.S. 6/60 powertrain

·
Registered
564 Posts
But why give up so soon? Seems that Nissan is stepping up to the plate to make it right and the dealer will get it repaired. I've not heard of widespread problems with the Nissan CVT, especially considering other manufacturers who KNOW there are problems and won't do the right thing (think Chrysler trannies post 60K). Since cars are awfully complex machines, its not unusual for problems to arise on a small number of vehicles. The key is whether the manufacturer will back the product - and here it sounds like Nissan has.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Also remember that this is pretty new technology. Not the concept, but putting a CVT in this large of a vehicle. There are bound to be a few "bugs" the first couple years. Part of the price you pay for owning the latest thing on the road.

I'm sure Nissan will be continuously improving the CVT. It seems to be quite reliable for the most part, with just a few exceptions (you know, the machine that built that particular one was having a "friday" day).

Do keep us posted as to how the dealer takes care of you, how long it takes, will they give you a loaner car, etc.

~ Corin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m new to this forum and researched other Murano owner troubles prior to posting my own. I’ve read some guys really complaining a lot about this car. I can say this much, Over Steer has not been a problem nor lack of power steering @ idle. Just an occasional clunk when turning the wheel at a sit-still when maneuvering car for parking. Brakes are good. Engine is good. Timing chain is a plus instead of belt. Gas mileage closely matches
Cars stated 20/24 if you reset meter @ the start of your ride. When sunroof is open above 30mph, open rear windows to suppress interior noise. Bose Stereo could have benefited
with tweeters for better clearer high’s. The ride is not that stiff for me (SL AWD). Smoother then my (First year out) 91 Dodge Stealth AWD Twin-Turbo which is just as if not more complex mechanically than the Murano. The Chevy Trail-Blazer is a smooth as silk ride by comparison though. But that’s the difference between a full frame and a unibody design. Blind spot issues with sport mirrors take a getting use to on the Murano. All in All, I do like the Murano, It is peppy and fun to drive but it would have been nice to see some rough & tough ride commercials on Murano like Saturn Vue, Chevy Trail-Blazer, Subaru, Jeep, ect...Instead of city driving ones. Hopefully my case was a rare defective part and not ongoing. But after 6/60 expires, Will I have a conscience at rest?
:confused:

·
4,664 Posts
Went to a Chrysler preview last night. I looked at the Crossfire, nicely built for Domestic. Same with the new 300. The Pacifica was a really poor design and poorly assembled. The convertable PT Cruiser was crap. Absolute crap.

The orange peel on the Pacifica was terrible. It was one of the worst paint jobs I've seen.

Had my fill of GMC/Chevy junk too. My Jimmy went through two transmissions and an engine.

I'd still drive a Murano even if the CVT exploded it's guts all over the road!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Zamp, city folk seemed to be the target marketing for the MO.
My wife drove a Grand Cherokee for 7 years and that car had never seen anything but asphalt. Climbing rocks with your SUV looks great on TV but in the real world a large population base will never drive their rough and tumble SUV's to anything more challenging then the supermarket on Saturday. Nissan knew this and went after that group of buyers.
I also think your CVT blowing up was a fluke. About 1500 people on this list and most say the CVT seems flawless. A few, very few posts about CVT problems, I'll guess 98 percent are really happy with the tranny. Sorry about yours.
Bob1

·
Registered
360 Posts
RE: Rough & tough ride commercials

The Murano was not intended to be an offroader. Hence, a comparison with an Exploder, Blazer, VUE, Hummer, or any other offroader would be like comparing the towing capabilities of a Q45 and a Ram 1500.

The AWD feature is intended to help out on slick roads. In fact, if you read up on the CVT, you'll find that sudden torque changes, such as "brake-loading" in order to get an impressive peel-out, or using the tranny alone to change directions (say, backing up and, without stopping, dropping into Drive and taking off) has been the number one killer of CVTs over the decades.
The sudden changes in torque requirements that are inherent in offroading would, therefore, reinforce that the MO is not intended for offroading.

I've had two Blazers, still have the Ram, and have driven several F150s, Tahoes, and even the Benz SUV and a couple of Hummers (the big'un and the H2). They are different beasts from the MO. No comparison would be reasonable.

·
Registered
564 Posts
No question the Mo was never intended for real off-roading. At most, the vehicle could see some well-maintained fire roads or unpaved country lanes - but no way could it handle the real thing. UncaDanno is right in that Nissan targeted urban/suburban markets with the Mo. It was designed specifically for that target market in the United States. Nissan looked at how SUV's are REALLY used and went from there.

Jaak - no surprise on the Crossfire being impressive. Its basically a reskinned Mercedes-Benz SLK. Chrysler couldn't build a decent car if it tried. GM's are much better, but they seem to suffer from what I call Wile E. Coyote syndrome. The plan looks great on paper, but rarely seems to work well in the real world. That said, until I got my Mo, I've drove a string of GM's, and like them all.

·
Registered
418 Posts
JAAK...the Crossfire is built by Karmann in Osnabruck, Germany...I understand the new "300" is a really impressive vehicle..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the record, My MO has never seen the likes of offroad other then an unfinished road looking at new home development. Nor the likes of a towing hitch. Boy talks about opening Pandora’s box gheees. This is why I procrastinated about starting this forum.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
ZAMP said:
Just an occasional clunk when turning the wheel at a sit-still when maneuvering car for parking.
This sounds like you may have a loose steering rack. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on this matter. Have the dealer look at it.

I have over 30,000 hard miles on mine, without a single complaint from the CVT. I would say you were just unlucky.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Boy talks about opening Pandora’s box gheees. This is why I procrastinated about starting this forum.

ZAMP

As they say down south..."That el learn ya"
Bob1

1 - 20 of 27 Posts