Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is kind of a rant but also a question as well. I have an 09 murano with about 121k on it. I love the car, but some days I want to drive it off a cliff. Some days when i'm sitting in traffic rolling through and all without touching the accelerator the car is fine. However, when I need to speed up fairly quickly it seems to kind of jerk. There's really no certain point where it stops, it just stops. There's no slipping or lack of power when accelerating, simply just jerky movements. This also happens when I'm accelerating up a hill. It seems to be jerky. However, as soon as I get over the hill, it stops. Any ideas?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Your experience is similar to mine. I thought it was my transmission, but a Nissan tech suggested that I look at my spark plugs. I only had 65k on the 100k plugs and didn't think that it could the reason. Turns out, the tech was correct. Ask if the plug's electrodes were very much worn down. I replaced the plugs and the Mo runs like new again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
I guess this is kind of a rant but also a question as well. I have an 09 murano with about 121k on it. I love the car, but some days I want to drive it off a cliff. Some days when i'm sitting in traffic rolling through and all without touching the accelerator the car is fine. However, when I need to speed up fairly quickly it seems to kind of jerk. There's really no certain point where it stops, it just stops. There's no slipping or lack of power when accelerating, simply just jerky movements. This also happens when I'm accelerating up a hill. It seems to be jerky. However, as soon as I get over the hill, it stops. Any ideas?
Also check your air intake duct for holes. There have been a number of reports of it having holes and causing drivability issues.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had the air intake issue as well, but that was at a different time than my plug problem and my symptoms were only when acceleratoring from a stop. But do check that as that is a known problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the air intake issue as well, but that was at a different time than my plug problem and my symptoms were only when acceleratoring from a stop. But do check that as that is a known problem.

I just had the plugs changed not 5000 miles, as well as the coil packs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also check your air intake duct for holes. There have been a number of reports of it having holes and causing drivability issues.
Had the same problem. However, i lost complete power. Got a whole new air intake duct as well as cleaned the MAF and throttle body. Haven't had a problem since

·
Registered
157 Posts
I should have mentioned that I also changed the 3 coil packs in the back since those are the hardest reach. I don't know if they were bad, but again, while I had everything torn down, it was a no brainer to go ahead and change those out.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Have you scanned for CVT TCM error codes with a Nissan TCM capable reader, or an app like CVTz50?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just had the plugs changed not 5000 miles, as well as the coil packs.
This makes me suspect. Was it changed at Nissan with factory valve covers or after market. I tried after market and one of them failed within 10k miles. I talked to Nissan dealer who noted they see the after market valve covers fail quickly. I put a replacement on...so far so good. Point being...I wonder if those valve covers are leaking oil into the plugs or wrong plugs, etc.. It's not an easy job and easy to mess up.

·
Super Moderator
8,048 Posts
This makes me suspect. Was it changed at Nissan with factory valve covers or after market. I tried after market and one of them failed within 10k miles. I talked to Nissan dealer who noted they see the after market valve covers fail quickly. I put a replacement on...so far so good. Point being...I wonder if those valve covers are leaking oil into the plugs or wrong plugs, etc.. It's not an easy job and easy to mess up.
Well said.

When you have work done and then a problem emerges, the first place to look at the most recent work, not at unrelated systems. You will usually find the problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I should have mentioned that I also changed the 3 coil packs in the back since those are the hardest reach. I don't know if they were bad, but again, while I had everything torn down, it was a no brainer to go ahead and change those out.

Have you scanned for CVT TCM error codes with a Nissan TCM capable reader, or an app like CVTz50?
I agree with this. A local shop will be able to check for fault codes stored In the computer and also see the fuel trims. Also, when you replaced the coil packs did you use oem? Those aftermarket electronics are garbage. Even the aftermarket MAF sensors don't measure as true as OEM sensor. Idk

·
Registered
157 Posts
I used Nissan oem coil packs. I learned the hard way on my daughter's sentra that the cheap non oem ebay coil packs are garbage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used Nissan oem coil packs. I learned the hard way on my daughter's sentra that the cheap non oem ebay coil packs are garbage.

Right on. I did a tune up on one of my old cars a v6. All 6 aftermarket coil packs were bad, what are the odds. I learned that lesson too lol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I
Your experience is similar to mine. I thought it was my transmission, but a Nissan tech suggested that I look at my spark plugs. I only had 65k on the 100k plugs and didn't think that it could the reason. Turns out, the tech was correct. Ask if the plug's electrodes were very much worn down. I replaced the plugs and the Mo runs like new again.

I agree, made a big difference in my ride as well. Barely feel or hear it running when idle after changing all my spark plugs. It’s fun times replacing the back three plugs, but worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts