Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that the transmissions in these 2015-2017 Murano's (Z52) have a Chain instead of a push belt.

·
Registered
2019 Platinum 2WD White
31 Posts
I don't think its a normal type chain. It is metal type flex belt. There are some videos on YouTube where they break down the trans and show how it works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe you may be confusing the Murano CVT with the last generation Pathfinder using a CVT. That's likely why the Pathfinder was rated with more towing capacity.

·
Administrator
9,164 Posts
I wouldn't put it that strongly. I do think that at least the 1st gen had a higher than normal failure rate, but that's not mass failures or it would have been a recall.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
we're all driving a ticking bomb that's all i know. I dread the day my cvt blows up
So I guess in your nightmares, it's a CVT that jumps out of the closet to get you? :p:coffee:

Reactions: joesatch

·
Registered
348 Posts
we're all driving a ticking bomb that's all i know. I dread the day my cvt blows up
Im with you. I just want to know if it does fail, how it will be? Just need to get home or to a large city as we travel to mountains a lot.
And its a car with 75K miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Im with you. I just want to know if it does fail, how it will be? Just need to get home or to a large city as we travel to mountains a lot.
And its a car with 75K miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
80k here. I'm trading my car in very soon. Likely getting an rx350 or a honda. We're driving on borrowed time my friend

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want one of these transmissions to live longer and be more trouble free, the best thing to do is a drain and fill of fluid every 3rd or so engine oil change, there are also filters and screens that need attention. The CVT generates more small hard metal particles that are carried in the fluid than an engine does. The main reason for engine oil changes are the products of combustion that degrade the oil, and heat. The transmission fluid also sees a lot of heat, especially around the pulleys and belt.

·
Registered
348 Posts
80k here. I'm trading my car in very soon. Likely getting an rx350 or a honda. We're driving on borrowed time my friend
RX is the nice car, they just forgot to attach a trunk, as there is no space at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you want one of these transmissions to live longer and be more trouble free, the best thing to do is a drain and fill of fluid every 3rd or so engine oil change, there are also filters and screens that need attention. The CVT generates more small hard metal particles that are carried in the fluid than an engine does. The main reason for engine oil changes are the products of combustion that degrade the oil, and heat. The transmission fluid also sees a lot of heat, especially around the pulleys and belt.
So technically on e a year for most of us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am on my sixth Nissan with a CVT. All vehicles traded in had over 100k miles on them, wife's 2011 had over 120k. I only drained and flushed once at around 90k miles on each of them. I had zero problems with any of them. We are planning on keeping both we have now, a 2017 Maxima and a 2019 Murano, until over 100k miles before trading in. I have lots of thing to worry about but the Nissan CVT is not one of them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2008 Altima with a 2.5 Liter had no problems whatsoever. It got totaled last year with about 150K. I was the 2nd owner (lease return) and maintained everything well as far as fluid changes. The CVT on that 4 cylinder engine was strong on take offs and transitioned to highway speeds with no problems.
On the other hand, my 07 FWD Murano that I got with about 168K, I had to do several wear & tear repairs (A/C clutch, oil sensors, etc) and I did a CVT fluid change (drained 6 qts & refill) a year ago. My complaint with it's CVT is that it bogs down when starting at 0 mph. Especially on an incline. I'll sometimes put it into Ds then back to D as it seems to skip that bandwidth in the CVT.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
On the other hand, my 07 FWD Murano that I got with about 168K, I had to do several wear & tear repairs (A/C clutch, oil sensors, etc) and I did a CVT fluid change (drained 6 qts & refill) a year ago. My complaint with it's CVT is that it bogs down when starting at 0 mph. Especially on an incline. I'll sometimes put it into Ds then back to D as it seems to skip that bandwidth in the CVT.
You may be interested in a device like this to tailor the throttle response to your liking:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you tell how to access those filters and screens? I did not know the CVT's had them.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Can you tell how to access those filters and screens? I did not know the CVT's had them.
Check out the photos in this thread:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Take it from someone that has had two failed CVTs on 2 model years (2005 @ 178,000 miles and 2014 @ 75,000 miles). Change your fluid every 30-40K miles. After replacing the 2014 CVT (covered under Nissan), I replace my fluid every 40K now (currently at 128K).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts