Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking into using the CVTz50 app that allot of members on here use, but my ELM adapter is having some troubles. The app keeps saying I have a bad adapter and cannot get a connection. My TorquePro app works flawlessly, but then again, CVTz50 is allot more in depth, so I can see why the adapter may now work.

I was wondering what adapter members are using? I have an ELM327 or something along those lines...... but it's probably a fake one since I got it off Amazon for 30 bucks or so.

Thanks..

·
Registered
733 Posts
Just FYI, the CVTz50 app, in my opinion based on feedback form the app developer and from my own experiences, isn't very helpful for 3rd Gen MOs.

That being said, I got this one from Amazon for $9, and it worked great for my 2003 and 2021 MOs.

I don't use it anymore for my 2021, since it's of little help without knowing what the actual specs are for the car. Apparently, the app data is designed from specs for 1st Gens, with maybe a little 2nd Gen thrown in later, so the warning thresholds and triggers/alerts aren't accurate . Probably better than TorquePro, which I really didn't like, although it has a cooler interface. If you were nearby, I'd just give it to you. Just sitting in my toolbox collecting dust.

BTW, I thnk it could be the app that's the problem and not your reader. Sometimes upon app startup, I've had to turn off bluetooth once the app has enabled it on my phone, then turn it back on and restart the app again. Once or twice I had to unplug the reader and plug it back in. I also hate that about every 60 days the app makes you re-register it, otherwise it won't start. I feel like it's an invasion of my privacy where the developer simply wants to know if I'm still using it, and can probably figure out what part of the country I'm in. I won't use it again because I refuse to register it for a third time due to privacy/hassle issues, and because it's clearly not designed for my 3rd Gen MO.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Torque Pro and CVTz50 were developed for different purposes, which I think are actually complementary. CVTz50 is primarily a transmission app (and only for CVTs) with some other useful stuff added in. Torque Pro is a generic scan tool app with good live data graphing capabilities that can also access mode $06 data. Given the price of each ($5 apiece) and the fact that you can use the same adapter for both apps, I would suggest getting both.

BTW, if you still have Torque Pro, try messing around with the live widgets. I love those as you can set them up for different PIDs and GUI modes (even graphing) and they start feeding data right after the app starts and connects to the ECM. Really handy if you want to quickly view sensor data.

·
Registered
733 Posts
This is the one I use as CVTz50 required
ELM327 rev 1.5 or lower
Yes, version 1.5 or lower is needed. I didn't notice that the product link I provided shows 2.1, which won't work for the Nissan CVT. Somehow, I got version 1.5 when I ordered from this link back in January.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input. I'll definately play around with TorquePro widgets. It is neat seeing the real time information.

As for the Elm adapter, I do have version 2.1. So as mentioned, 1.5 is required, so I'll buy that.

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I believe ELM 2.1 is backward compatible with 1.5...

From the CVTz50 webpage:
"Bluetooth or WiFi adapter ELM327 revision 1.5 or lower (functionality might be significantly limited if used with not genuine adapters of revision 2.0+. Communication with CVT requires advanced ELM327 functionality which is often missing in clones v2.0+)"

I think what it's saying is if you use certain v2.0+ "clones" it may not work...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts