Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received a Bluetooth ODB adapter and connected it with the CVTz50 app today. Everything works right out of the box, but I have a couple of questions on the app and the readings.

1. What is the normal or safe operating temperature of the CVT? The app showed that my CVT temp hovered around 98 °C after about twenty minutes of driving. The app labeled this as "HOT", but not sure what the normal range should be, or how accurate the reading is. Possibly related, but the app also shows a "CVTF Deterioration Date" of 6809.

2. What do the numbers in the bottom portion of the engine section mean (see circled area in the screenshot)? I'm assuming that the AWD% is the power split between the front and rear wheels? So 100% means the vehicle is in full FWD, while a 50%/50% indicates full AWD. Is that correct? What about the number to the left of the AWD. The 0.00A in the photo?

Thanks for recommending the app and adapter from Amazon. I think I will leave it connected all the time. I don't plan on using it to change any settings, but is there any concern if my Nissan dealership/repair knows I'm using it. (e.g. I tell them that I think the CVT temp. in high).

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
This page has an explanation of the display items: CVTz50 - CVT diagnostics with ELM327

Beware that if you leave the ODB dongle connected it may drain your starter battery, so keep an eye on it. My ODB dongle draws a small amount of power even with my car off...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This page has an explanation of the display items: CVTz50 - CVT diagnostics with ELM327

Beware that if you leave the ODB dongle connected it may drain your starter battery, so keep an eye on it. My ODB dongle draws a small amount of power even with my car off...
Thanks for the heads up on the ODB adapter. I will keep it unplugged when not in use.

What are your normal/max CVT temps are as reported by the CVTz50?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hope you give us your info even if nobody has much to share. It could be helpful to others as we play with that new app. Maybe even a link where several others using this app are documenting normal and irregular readings.

Thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the ODB adapter. I will keep it unplugged when not in use.

What are your normal/max CVT temps are as reported by the CVTz50?
I don't have enough time on my new Murano yet to give you a good answer... I also lost my historical data due to reinstalling CVTz50... Before I lost my old data, I believe I saw the same temperature range as you're seeing. Higher temperatures (above 90C) increment the deterioration counter, but insignificantly in most cases.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had the app for a couple of weeks. So far, on my 1 hour commutes, the highest temperature I've seen was 87C. The air temperature where I live is still cool in the 15-20C range. I'm sure it'll be higher in summer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
How many miles are on your Murano?

I notice your deterioration counter is over 6k. The deterioration counter for my 2003 was less than 2k over 57k miles.

Is it particularly hot or mountainous where you drive? Or maybe pulling a trailer?

·
Registered
599 Posts
So I received a Bluetooth ODB adapter and connected it with the CVTz50 app today. Everything works right out of the box, but I have a couple of questions on the app and the readings.

1. What is the normal or safe operating temperature of the CVT? The app showed that my CVT temp hovered around 98 °C after about twenty minutes of driving. The app labeled this as "HOT", but not sure what the normal range should be, or how accurate the reading is. Possibly related, but the app also shows a "CVTF Deterioration Date" of 6809.

2. What do the numbers in the bottom portion of the engine section mean (see circled area in the screenshot)? I'm assuming that the AWD% is the power split between the front and rear wheels? So 100% means the vehicle is in full FWD, while a 50%/50% indicates full AWD. Is that correct? What about the number to the left of the AWD. The 0.00A in the photo?

Thanks for recommending the app and adapter from Amazon. I think I will leave it connected all the time. I don't plan on using it to change any settings, but is there any concern if my Nissan dealership/repair knows I'm using it. (e.g. I tell them that I think the CVT temp. in high).
It would be extremely helpful to include year and miles of your car. Depending on the year, there was an issue with the tranny cooler having debris stuck in it, restricting CVT fluid flow, causing the CVT to run hotter then normal.

Nissan has a TSB on flushing the cooler and checking flow rate thru it.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info.

I have a 2018 Murano SL with 16,300 miles. The vehicle is 8 months old and was first used by a rental company.

I'm in Denver, CO and the ambient temperature when I took the readings we're around 50-60 °f.

Driving conditions were street with lots of stop and go. I wasn't pulling anything and there were some hills but nothing especially steep.

Sounds like the transmission is running hot. I'll look at the TSB and see if it applies.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I have a 2018 Murano SL with 16,300 miles. The vehicle is 8 months old and was first used by a rental company.

I'm in Denver, CO and the ambient temperature when I took the readings we're around 50-60 °f.

Driving conditions were street with lots of stop and go. I wasn't pulling anything and there were some hills but nothing especially steep.

Sounds like the transmission is running hot. I'll look at the TSB and see if it applies.
Sounds like a good idea to check the TSB.

Keep an eye on the deterioration counter when driving around Denver to see how much/fast it seems to increment. It could be the elevation in Denver contributes to more heat, less air density for heat dissipation. Your temps don't look that out of line given where you're driving.

If the rental was in the Denver area, I would imagine it spent a fair amount of time in the mountains. My Mom lived in Central City, so I spent a fair amount of time driving that area. Lots of mountainous elevation changes to put it mildly... I would imagine that may account for your deterioration counter being where it's at with your mileage. It's still a long way from the 200,000 mark where they say to replace the "lifetime" CVT fluid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope you give us your info even if nobody has much to share. It could be helpful to others as we play with that new app. Maybe even a link where several others using this app are documenting normal and irregular readings.
I included a couple of screenshots with my initial post that shows my readings on a trip. I plan on keeping some logs over time to see how they change. I originally intended to just have the app run every time I was in the car, but with my phone and setup, I've found that the app disconnects from the adapter under a couple of conditions. One of which is anytime I loose connection to Android Auto, which happens on average once every other trip or so. Once its connected I can run the app via Bluetooth connection to the adapter, and AA via a USB connection, but if AA goes then so does BT. I'll try and post in a couple of weeks with updated logs.

Sounds like a good idea to check the TSB.

Keep an eye on the deterioration counter when driving around Denver to see how much/fast it seems to increment. It could be the elevation in Denver contributes to more heat, less air density for heat dissipation. Your temps don't look that out of line given where you're driving.

If the rental was in the Denver area, I would imagine it spent a fair amount of time in the mountains. My Mom lived in Central City, so I spent a fair amount of time driving that area. Lots of mountainous elevation changes to put it mildly... I would imagine that may account for your deterioration counter being where it's at with your mileage. It's still a long way from the 200,000 mark where they say to replace the "lifetime" CVT fluid.
Thanks for the suggestions and information. I wasn't sure what the deterioration counter was really for. I hit 90 C once yesterday but mostly stayed around 87 C. Should I bring the counter and temps up the next time I bring in my vehicle for service? Or is that just opening up a can of worms with explaining how I know what my temps and counter are?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought the CVTz50 app for my 2010 Murano SL AWD. The deterioration number is 23852 (shown in red). Am I correct in assuming this means a transmission fluid change is overdue?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought the CVTz50 app for my 2010 Murano SL AWD. The deterioration number is 23852 (shown in red). Am I correct in assuming this means a transmission fluid change is overdue?
Deterioration number cannot be red there.
It might be red highlighting on the right side with text "DTC:CVT" meaning there are uncleared transmission trouble codes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There may be other reasons to change transmission fluid, but the deterioration number is specifically for the deterioration due to high temperature, and this number can go to 210000 before the fluid needs to be changed according to Nissan.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FYI to anyone reading this regarding temperatures

I had a lot of trouble getting the normal or safe operating temperatures of the CVT (e.g. what is the hottest it should get before it needs to be checked out). I called a couple of dealership service centers and no one had an answer other than "it can get pretty warm". Was finally able to ask someone from a service center in another state and was told that the normal upper range is around 90° c, but that it can safely go as high as 108° c. He also said that if the CVT got hotter than that, I would definitely notice a change in how the Murano drives and could bring it in.

On a 90-minute heavy city traffic drive (with a couple of short stops), the CVT temperature reported by the app hit 110° c / 230 ° f. That's only happened once. Normally I see a high point of around 102° c.

I'll probably get a transmission fluid flush on my next service even though I'm not due for one and see if that helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
grimz
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing