Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car and Driver (a big fan of the Murano) reviewed the CX-7.

REVIEW

They menioned this about the CX-7: "It cruises freeways without the choppy ride of a Nissan Murano."

Wow thats a blow... and I don't think even accurate.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I agree The SL is not choppy !

:eek:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Choppy ride? :8:

He must be confusing the MO with another car. The MO's ride is nowhere near perfect, but it certainly is not choppy.

-njjoe

·
Registered
216 Posts
Most Murano press vehicles were SE models and most reviews did complain about the harsh ride...as most reviews of the BMW X3 with the sport package did.

Then again, these are the sportier versions, so what did they expect?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I have commented on this numerous times.

You see, I take a test drive not just to see if the stereo is loud enough, but to see how the car drives and handles.
In the case of the Murano, I drove both models for about 30 minutes each.
The SE, the one tested, handles "better" than the SL.
But you give up a compliant ride.
Surprise!
This is manifested the most on Concrete highways with the divider strips.
The car tends to bounce at every strip.
Some would call it choppy.

Someday, it might not be that way.
In international Racing, Renault (Majority owner of Nissan) is know for having very competent race cars. They also quite often have much more travel in their suspension. In other words it is both Grippy AND compliant over road irregularities.
That can not be said for most passenger cars and certainly not the SE.

That's why I bought the SL.
I gave up the ultimate grip on smooth pavement, for a "better" ride on typical roads.

I have no problem with testers calling the SE "choppy".

The CX-& seems to be a very well thought out ride with one exception. (For me)
The priorities were Front Seat, Cargo, Rear seat.
I prefer the Murano approach.
Front seat, rear seat, cargo.

After all, in both the rear seats fold flat for cargo.

I almost always get appreciative comments from people I carry in the rear seat.

Different class than the Murano, but very nice IMO.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I agree the SE Murano definitely will not be confused with a Buick in terms of ride quality. It is firm for an SUV, but I wouldn't call it harsh. I guess if you hit a terrible road with dozens of potholes and expansion joints, then it can be considered choppy, but this is not to be confused with bouncy (which is characteristic of an underdamped soft ride).

Others might not like a firm ride, but I love the fact that the Murano doesn't bounce or wallow over bumps or dips - the suspension takes set and you get one bump, thats it. If I wanted an underdamped bouncy ride, I would have gotten a Highlander or RX.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've seen the CX in person - and I need to give Mazda props here...it's a good looking vehicle. I'd call it a mini-Mo - and I might even consider it in the future HOWEVER, there are concerning aspects of the CX that would likely bring me back to Mo....

- It's a Mazda - meaning, it's a Ford; nuff said.
- Turbo engine = expensive repairs (later on).
- Similar (if not slightly worse) gas mileage.
- Similar (if not slightly worse) acceleration.
- (stupid) but I hate the steering wheel.
- Too many things I love about Mo; CVT, engine, interior and exterior styling, sound system, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Obviously I'd need to drive it, sit in it, etc. etc.

People are comparing it to Mo for obvious styling reasons - but it is still a smaller vehicle (based off a Mazda 3 platform) hence the smaller price. I'd wait till the release of the "mini-Mo" from Nissan before I'd leap into this vehicle over Mo. That way I could make a more accurate comparison.....

·
5,244 Posts
As Homer I test drove both SE and SL. I did like the SE but my wife opted for more “compliant” SL. Both cars handle well. I would say SE is exceptional for a car that size. If someone comes from Buick yes, SL may seem choppy. But I would not trade “choppy” SL for any Buick/Pontiac/Chevy. And believe me I rent a lot of them on a daily basis and am always amazed how nice Murano is! People need to understand what handling is.

I would have thought that car magazines at least would make it clear that there is more than one version of a car and one can select suspension options. Then again even if they do that they still comment on the reviewed car and most of the people get skewed opinions.

Please do not confused Mazda with Ford. They ARE different cars even though Ford owns Mazda. As to the quality – I owned 3 Fords and did at least 250k miles on them. Had less problems with them than with Murano! Still prefer Murano. Go figure.

I haven’t seen CX-7 yet but I will definitely look at it as well as Acura RDX. Concern – turbo and car size. But I can live with a smaller car. I rarely carry even one passenger.

·
Registered
204 Posts
crash said:
People are comparing it to Mo for obvious styling reasons - but it is still a smaller vehicle (based off a Mazda 3 platform) hence the smaller price.
I'm glad someone finally points this out, I've seen more and more comparisons lately between a Mo and a CX-7 but although I like the looks of it you are simply not talking about a vehicle in the same class. I love the space, feel, luxury of my Mo, it's our "big" car that does the duty the Z can't.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Consensus GO MO!

:)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
RayH said:
Thats a lot of body roll! :p

Something similar happened to a bunch of Volvo XC90's in the English channel I think a few years ago. So much for Ford's "Roll Stability Control"

·
Registered
191 Posts
sobamanismo said:

I'm glad someone finally points this out, I've seen more and more comparisons lately between a Mo and a CX-7 but although I like the looks of it you are simply not talking about a vehicle in the same class. I love the space, feel, luxury of my Mo, it's our "big" car that does the duty the Z can't.
Sobamanismo...I love the quote by the way!! Ferris rocks!!

I think a more accurate comparison would be between the Mo and a Mazda CX9 (not released yet - but a similar size).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts