4 doors Crossover Utility Vehicle (CUV)
Engine
VQ35DE
Manufactured in
Chuo-Ku Tokyo JAPAN
ManufacturerNISSAN MOTOR COMPANY, LTD
Plant NameKyushu Plant
Manufacturer Id996

I live in West Africa and have tried to get piston rings for the past month without luck. Now I want to order it from UK but unsure the size of the rings.

my vin number is Jn8az08w64w318716

Pleas help

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Hi does anyone know what the bore size is for a

Year
Make
NISSAN
Model
Murano
Drive Type
AWD/All-Wheel Drive
Style/Body
4 doors Crossover Utility Vehicle (CUV)
Engine
VQ35DE
Manufactured in
Chuo-Ku Tokyo JAPAN

ManufacturerNISSAN MOTOR COMPANY, LTD
Plant NameKyushu Plant
Manufacturer Id996

I live in West Africa and have tried to get piston rings for the past month without luck. Now I want to order it from UK but unsure the size of the rings.

my vin number is Jn8az08w64w318716

Pleas help
Here you go:

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The mechanic has tried both the vq35 standard, 0.25 and 0.50 and said all three are too small. He recommended vq40 rings. I bought that and as you can see, it is the one on the left on the cylinder bore picture, vq40 standard⁰. The one on the right is my original one, unsure what size it is but they claim that this along with the rest of the other rings for the other cylimders are all faulty and that the oil will come out through them. What are your thoughts on this? I want to go ahead and order a 95.5mm 0.75 or even a 1.0 and get filed to fit. Alternatively I am thinking of getting a 0.50 for a 96.0mm cylinder bore. The mechanic again claims that my bore is bigger than a normal murano, not sure what that means.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Have you looked specifically for VQ35DE rings? The ones in the photos are missing the DE...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is africa lol. No spec came with rings. The ones I want to buy from UK. They come in 95.5mm or 96mm. Now that my engine clearly states that it is a 95.5mm. How do I know the exact ring size for my bore. I see some instruments one can use to measure the bore and pistons, they are not available in this country. Can I tell the size of the old ones I had in my engine? Also do you agree that my existing rings on the right side of the picture is faulty? A very small gap exist but they tell me that there should not be any and oil will escape through. Is that right? As it stands, I have no idea what size rings I should order for my car. The mechanics here are almost all uneducated, with limited mechanically tools and most definitely none for dedciding on rings sizes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
With ring in the cylinder the ends that come close to butting have to have running clearance. Here what is listed.
The high limits they give are pretty excessive especially the oil ring. I know they overhaul jet engines in your country, if they do that there should be the tools needed.
Had to edit I just enlarged your photo's. Yes the one gap is no good, the other is acceptable best to use the info below. Oh and the scratch on the surface will cause a leak, likely the deck will need to be cleaned up / surfaced to remove that.

Standard:
Top ring : 0.23 - 0.33 mm (0.0091 - 0.0130 in)
2nd ring : 0.33 - 0.48 mm (0.0130 - 0.0189 in)
Oil ring : 0.20 - 0.50 mm (0.0079 - 0.0197 in)
Limit:
Top ring : 0.54 mm (0.0213 in)
2nd ring : 0.80 mm (0.0315 in)
Oil ring : 0.95 mm (0.0374 in)

One of the outfits

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Just upping this. I am struggling to understand what rings I need for a 95.5mm cylinder bore. I can only see a standard size for piston rings and the oversize 0.25, 0.50, 0.75, etc are all for above 95.5mm cylinder bore.

Is anyone able to tell me if the standard vq35de rings will fit perfectly on a 95.5mm cylinder bore?

Also I can't see anywhere the rings mention that it is for DOHC engine. Can I ask if VQ35DE is made specifically for DOHC engines?

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

Purple Rectangle Violet Font Magenta

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Hi,

Just upping this. I am struggling to understand what rings I need for a 95.5mm cylinder bore. I can only see a standard size for piston rings and the oversize 0.25, 0.50, 0.75, etc are all for above 95.5mm cylinder bore.

Is anyone able to tell me if the standard vq35de rings will fit perfectly on a 95.5mm cylinder bore?

Also I can't see anywhere the rings mention that it is for DOHC engine. Can I ask if VQ35DE is made specifically for DOHC engines?

View attachment 55337
View attachment 55338

thanks in advance
I read somewhere the D in DE designates a dual cam engine, which is what our Muranos have.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes your hasting kit said 95.5
It also says for 1 cylinder so I am guessing you need 6 of them.
Did you look at the info at the bottom and did it list your car as one of the suitable cars?

Below is the cylinder diameter info from the manual.

Standard inner diameter:
95.500 - 95.530 mm (3.7598 - 3.7610 in)
Wear limit:
0.2 mm (0.008 in)
Out-of-round (Difference between “X” and “Y”):
0.015 mm (0.0006 in)
Taper limit (Difference between “A” and “C”):
0.01 mm (0.0004 in)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes i noticed that it is jut for one cylinder. They are out of stock on the multi pack, 6 cylinders.

i also came across this one. Apparently my 2004 is OEN: 12033-8J100 but wouldn't get it delivered until first week july. The hastings one doesn't say if it is vg35de OEN: 12033-8J100 or not.
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Circle

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
That is a pretty high price for those, but then OEM . Remember you also need all the gaskets seals etc. How are the bearings? Timing chains and guides, tensioner? Cam phasers ? Is the engine out of the car? I hope the transmission is in okay shape, this is a bunch of work to do on the engine and then have a transmission problem.
Make sure to change the water pump since it is easy to get to with the front apart.
So you said the mechanic said your bore size is larger? Better have him or you check for sure what it is before buying the rings. You can order over size parts just be sure to check what you have. How much larger was the bore size?
I wasn't reading all your other posts above too well. If you don't have precision tools to check the bore, you may use old fashion internal spring calipers and then check them with
vernier or dial calipers, that should get you real close. How well is the piston fit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts