Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen-

I need your assistance.

This morning I brought my MO in to have the gear shift lever adjusted. My (it's) problem is with the Ds to D transition point. When the shift lever is in the Ds location everything is fine. However, just a slight pressure on the handle will cause the transmission to "shift" to D. It is a bit annoying when you are manually selecting ranges because the CVT will jump from Ds to D and back to Ds if my hand is resting on the lever and we hit a bump.

I asked to have the lever adjusted and the Service Manager claimed there is no adjustment.

My question to your guys is.... Where is the Ds to D transition point on your MOs? Is it in the middle of the travel from Ds to D? Or is it also just slightly away from the Ds stop?

Thanx in advance.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Joe,

Haven't really had this concern - mine was just the opposite. My problem was when I was in D, had my hand on shift knob, and taken a corner - I would accidentally shift to Ds.

My solution was, to NOT put my hand on the shift knob.

I know - BIG HELP, but that's the best I have. I will try and check your scenario tonight (on my way home) , if no one response to you today.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
joe, I don't know where the tipping point is, but I can tell you that my D and Ds have fairly significant detents. Doesn't bother me since I tend to slap the shifter to move it.

Home

PS - I don't use the Ds very often. Maybe twice on my 3300 mile trip over the last 6 weeks.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My main concern is that the transition point seems to be creeping towards the right. So I am afraid that eventually Ds will not "engage" at all.

I realize the "shifting" from D to Ds is not done via mechanical linkage, but is actually initiated through an electrical switch. I have theorized the D-to-Ds switch is not properly locked downed and is slowly creeping out of adjustment.

Any suggestions?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I played with this on my MO yesterday while putting around.

I found that the point where it shifts OUT of Ds IS very close to the right side. Basically, if it's in Ds, it only takes about a quarter of an inch to bring it back to D. Definitely NOT in the middle of the channel.

Playing with it, I think that if I was resting my hand on the lever and hit a significant bump, it could definitely jump out and back into Ds. Not by itself, but if my hand was sitting there, sure.

As for that switchover location moving, no idea. Never played with it like this before.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
njjoe said:
My main concern is that the transition point seems to be creeping towards the right. So I am afraid that eventually Ds will not "engage" at all.

I realize the "shifting" from D to Ds is not done via mechanical linkage, but is actually initiated through an electrical switch. I have theorized the D-to-Ds switch is not properly locked downed and is slowly creeping out of adjustment.
-njjoe
You could be right... I bet its just a micro switch.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx, guys!

I appreciate your responses.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yes, mine is as urs joe.
I tend to pull it over to D slowly and have noticed many times that it almost anticipates the move--because it goes to D very early in the travel of the shifter.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mgthe3-

Thanx for the reply.

It is good to know that my MO is not the only one with the Ds-to-D transition point biased towards the right. It is entirely possible that I am just imagining that the transition point is creeping away from center.

Thanx again.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
mgthe3 said:
Yes, mine is as urs joe.
I tend to pull it over to D slowly and have noticed many times that it almost anticipates the move--because it goes to D very early in the travel of the shifter.
Same here...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Checked mine tonight. The transition is closer to Ds than D, like others have said here.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Me too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts