Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed the formation of two parallel dimples on my dash, appearing to be from two clips underneath holding the dash in place. I'm seeing these on the raised center portion on the top of the dashboard. They're left/right in orientation.
Anybody else see these?
I'm thinking the dash cover is only very thin, too thin maybe.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
no

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mine has them. I've never really thought of them as dimples, but more of a stress mark.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ADV

what year is your MO?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Mine has them from Day One. Its kind of expected from Nissan's questionable dash quality. I had the same problem on my 97 Maxima. Never really bothered me very much.

Unless the dealer is willing to replace the entire dash top, I would not bother with a "repair." It will end up looking worse after a patch job.

·
Registered
631 Posts
GripperDon said:
Gripper, couldn't help but notice you made a typo in your sig!

MTX Supplemental Sub Wolfer Amp

How did that project turn out? How does the system sound now? Where did you pull your power from? Feel free to move this to another thread. :)

·
5,100 Posts
GOOD EXCUSE FOR A DASH MAT Not that we need much of one down here with 300+ days of sunshine. I would love to find one that only fit across the tray areas, Guess I'll buy some thin carpeting material and cut one to fit my desires.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My appologies for encouraging people to notice the dimples, but it bothers me too. I was wondering if the 05 dash had more structural integrity, I'd probably try to have them replace it if it did. I ride a black o3.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The "dimples" are actually the result of a poorly setup injection molding process. These areas (among others) are where the material is injected into the mold (hot runners). If the injection cycle is not tuned correctly the material can begin to cool during the final compression stroke of the injection screw. The result is the formation of flow lines in the hotrunner area. If you look closely you will see that the area is actually flat it is just the flow lines in the material that make it look like a dimple. I have them on mine too. The bottom line is that the dash is plenty strong, no need to worry about that. The issue is purely cosmetic.....Unfortunately

·
5,100 Posts
Could we take a thin hypo and inject something to fill the void?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
GripperDon said:
Could we take a thin hypo and inject something to fill the void?

The dimples are on hard plastic dashtop, not the soft touch material (at least on my Murano). It would be one study needle to poke a hole in the plastic!

·
5,100 Posts
Oh! I don't have any on the 05, but the one I had on the dash of the 04 was in the soft material just to the right of the instrument cluster.

While on the subject of dash.

Do you have any suggestion as to refinishing the plastic of the instrument cluster? When I was removing the AC vent for the NAV LCD mod, I brushed it across the surface and it took away some of the blandness of the surface and put a smooth and some what shiny surface at the contact point.

I thought of 3M ScothBright pad, Guess I may find a hidden surface to try it out on.

·
4,664 Posts
krpster said:
The "dimples" are actually the result of a poorly setup injection molding process. These areas (among others) are where the material is injected into the mold (hot runners). If the injection cycle is not tuned correctly the material can begin to cool during the final compression stroke of the injection screw. The result is the formation of flow lines in the hotrunner area. If you look closely you will see that the area is actually flat it is just the flow lines in the material that make it look like a dimple. I have them on mine too. The bottom line is that the dash is plenty strong, no need to worry about that. The issue is purely cosmetic.....Unfortunately
Cool, I just learned something new! I haven't noticed them on my '03, so I won't make a point of looking for them. I'm quite happy in my fantasy world where my Murano is perfect. Ahhhhrrrggg! RUST! There's RUST on my Murano!:cursin:

·
5,100 Posts
ANother reason I was glad to leave Detroit, No salt on the roads.

Where is the rust and what are you going to do about it? :confused:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It would be nice to find some aftermaket brushed stainless sheet that could be applied over the center box with the two dimples. It would sort of make for a flow of the stainless look from the dash to the armrest. What do you think, anything available?

I have some minor rust on the roof rails on the edges of the holes which join to the nissan crossbars.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes perhaps maybe... the stuff nissan uses is pretty dull. I guess you would have to try it out. What else could you cover that center portion with, without resorting to a dash mat.

·
Registered
593 Posts
jaak said:
Ahhhhrrrggg! RUST! There's RUST on my Murano!:cursin:
I had my last Nissan for 10 years in the Northeastern US with plenty of snow/salt with no signs of rust. (My previous car, a Honda, on the other hand, was inundated with rust.) As Grip said, where is the rust on your Mo?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts