Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first drove a MO, I immediately noticed how much space there was on the dashboard (the part under the windshield). My friend commented that it was just like a minivan.

The area seems to be molded into "trays" that imply useability but isn't it unsafe to put anything up there while you drive? I assume whatever is up there could become a dangerous projectile in an accident.

Nissan clearly hints that you should put stuff there otherwise it would be completely smooth.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

(I always check to see if my questions have been covered in the past to limit my postings. My flow of questions should ease up soon. Then I'll become one of the experienced owners who can answer questions!)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I find a problem with putting things on top of the dash is that the windshield is angled such that the reflection from the dashtop becomes very distracting on sunny days - I imagine this would be worse if you put things on the dash.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Well IMO opinion stuff up there will move forward in a front collision and back toward you in a rear end. The average G's to the vehicle from getting rear ended will depend upon the velocity obviously, but fro a normal ???? stop light rear ender the G's will be around 3 to 4. So if you anchor the stuff there to hold about, say 5 times its weight you should be OK. I have fitted a DVD 8 inch screen in the passenger side depression the scree also doubles as the display for the rear view camera. The player was chosen for having a width and height that would fit almost exactly in the depression. I Used some ultra tiny "Molly's" to hold some clips that retain the unit. I am NOT advocating that anyone else do this or that it is OK, Is is only what I did and I assume no liability for you decisions or action (sounds like a lawyer, doesn't it) I covered the back of the screen with matching foan backed vinyl I found at a fabric store for anti reflection and heat protection. GRIP :D

·
Registered
781 Posts
Personally I hate having 'things' on the dash or the rear sill of cars. What is the purpose? Do you need the extra storage space? Storage seems to be plentiful in the Murano. It is just one more thing to move around under normal driving (distraction) and become a flying object in an accident. Plus it limits your visibility depending on what you are putting up there.

·
5,244 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
Personally I hate having 'things' on the dash or the rear sill of cars. What is the purpose? Do you need the extra storage space? Storage seems to be plentiful in the Murano. It is just one more thing to move around under normal driving (distraction) and become a flying object in an accident. Plus it limits your visibility depending on what you are putting up there.
I am with you on this one! Nothing worse than crap on the dashboard, or hanging balls, crosses etc.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I also believe that it is in the manual somewhere that they recommend you not putting things on the dash, they said that it can cause interference with the GPS antenae?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I couldn't resist. I put a small box of facial tissue in the passenger well (fits nicely) and my sunglasses sit in the driver's side well. I figure that if the worst type of accident (knock wood), either object is so light that if thrown about, neither would cause much damage to vehicle occupants. I wouldn't put more than that, though. I will confess that I used to be the "hanging ornament" type of person, but as I've gotten older, my cars have gotten a lot cleaner to the point where the only thing hanging from my rearview mirror is the office parking tag.

·
4,994 Posts
I do have to hang my handicap sticker there. To be honest I doubt that you would ever notice my DVD before I had told you about it. It blends with the "dash" so well and since it is screwed down it does not move at all, finally all wires are completely hidden. regarding the connection to Satellites, I get perfect reception when the MO is in the garage for both my XM and VComm Nav system. I must assume the garage door, roof structure and a layer of heavy tile would be worst than a Kleenex Box. Well I guess thats enough of defending my actions. Sorry about that! On to more positive stuff. I did get the brochure for the 2006 Infiniti M yesterday. Looks nice I bet with the V8 340 hp & 19 inch wheels and a 230 watt 14 speaker Bose sound system it will be sweet.Take a look at infiniti.com.M GRIP :D

·
4,601 Posts
I think if they took out about a 100 hp, the dash would be useable for putting junk on, but as it is, even my sunglasses, tend to slide around and go off the end on occasion, if I put them up there.

·
4,994 Posts
Jaak! My Stuff is screwed down to the dash board, it can't even move.! See my above posts. GRIP :D

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
To go along with GRIP's offtopic post...Infiniti M Concept car :drool:

That car is amazing. If I had enough Mulah ($$$) the MO would be going byebye for the carcar.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I see the dash a prefic place for fly to land on at a stop lite. when the lite turns green the flyes let lose and are killed on the back window for easy clean up when the rear gate is opened

·
4,994 Posts
Or if those flys are juced up on Helium they can bang into the front window when you accelerate. GRIP :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
You know Grip that is the first time I checked out your pics, where is this VCOM thingy and can you take a picture of this setup on your dash?

·
4,994 Posts
I need to make picture of everything and am delinquent in doing so. The VCom has nothing to show,. It is a All voice Nav System.. It talks in three voices. It asks where you want to go and you tell it. It will even play blackjack with you (if yo want) while driving just to help pass the time away. There are no screens to look at and it is very no intrusive. MattsMurano and I have the same thing I heard his and went and bought one. I love it. in that it frees up having to use a display or even figuring out where to put it. It has a large, 30gig or so Hard Drive and the voice is not synthetic it is real recorded voice and you can check it out here. http://www.autoetcetera.com/vcom.htm

I'll take the picture as soon as i get over my virus cold, I also need to get the grill to UPS. We are having the coldest weather we have ever had for this time of year. It was 40F last night and only 70F today. So I need to stay inside out of the frigid temperatures.!!!!!!

GRIP :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Out here in Phoenix, you cover that huge dash area with some kind of covering. I bought a custom cover from my dealer and it cuts the summer temp something wonderful. It's basically thin carpet that is cut to size and then molds to the dash. I throw my sunglasses and a baseball hat up front. I sit tall enough that it doesn't bother me at all.:p

·
4,994 Posts
Pizzas, work well and smell so good! GRIP :D

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
GripperDon....

You allow the consumption of food and drinks in the MO? ck ck ck ck :14:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts