Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out driving tonite and noticed my daytime running lights / fog lights are not coming on anymore. I checked the fuse boxes but did not see a fuse dedicated to the fog lights. Will make an appointment to get it checked tommorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
Drewmyster-

I was looking in the service manual for some useful information on the DRLs when I discovered this little pearl. This is the description of the DRL System taken directly from the 2005 Nissan Service Manual.

Enjoy. :D

-njjoe
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
Drewmyster-

On a more serious note....

The following diagram shows the fuses that affect the operation of the DRLs. I hope this helps.

-njjoe
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,136 Posts
njjoe said:
I was looking in the service manual for some useful information on the DRLs when I discovered this little pearl. This is the description of the DRL System taken directly from the 2005 Nissan Service Manual.
That was funny!
If my Japanese serves me right, from above I understood that DTRL and parking brakes are somehow related. Check the fuse for brake lights.....:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,343 Posts
A very complex solution to what should be a simple problem!!
What is really wrong with just having the DRL on whenever the hedliights are off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
ekaxel said:
A very complex solution to what should be a simple problem!!
What is really wrong with just having the DRL on whenever the headlights are off?
That's just what I thought when I opened up the service manual. I was simply amazed at the complexity of the system. The DRLs are tied in to the parking brake? What else?

There is no need for that level of complexity. If the headlights are OFF, the DRLs should be ON. Simple enough for me.

-njjoe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,136 Posts
I guess Nissan is trying to provide a "complete lights out" situation for when you are parked but want to keep the engine running...like when you are driving the get-away car.......:2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I picked up my Murano from the dealer today to find out that both my Xenon White Super Beam EX bulbs had failed after 10 months of service. The Dealer was kind enough to charge me $100 to replace these bulbs indicating that there was no fault with Nissans equipment, only a fault with my after market bulbs. I have never in my life seen two bulbs fail at the same time without some surge of some time. I guess we'll see how the oem bulbs last.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
842 Posts
ekaxel said:
A very complex solution to what should be a simple problem!!
What is really wrong with just having the DRL on whenever the hedliights are off?
My Mo has the DRL come on as soon as the car starts up ( Emergency brake on or not) and the DRL's shut off when I turn on the main driving lights. The only time they are all on at the same time is when I turn the switch for the fog lamps on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
Drewmyster said:
Well I picked up my Murano from the dealer today to find out that both my Xenon White Super Beam EX bulbs had failed after 10 months of service. The Dealer was kind enough to charge me $100 to replace these bulbs indicating that there was no fault with Nissans equipment, only a fault with my after market bulbs. I have never in my life seen two bulbs fail at the same time without some surge of some time. I guess we'll see how the oem bulbs last.
Drewmyster-

What are you insinuating? That the Nissan dealer did something unsavory. I am appalled. NOT!

When you think it through, there is really no need for the dealer to have the lights turned on for more than a few minutes, and that is if he happens to take the car for a test drive in the evening.

Although very unlikely, I could see if maybe one bulb failed while the car was at the dealership. However, it is extremely, extremely unlikely that both bulbs would fail during the short time that the dealer had the car. The odds are definitely against that happening.

Maybe one failed, and in order to match the lamps they replaced both. That's a possibility I could understand. Otherwise, something is definitely screwy.

-njjoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both lights were out when I took it into the Dealership. Thats why I assumed it would be a relay or a switch. I never dreamed that both bulbs would burn up at the same time. I still had the oem bulbs and could have installed them myself in 20 minutes and saved the $100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Stoker said:


My Mo has the DRL come on as soon as the car starts up ( Emergency brake on or not) and the DRL's shut off when I turn on the main driving lights. The only time they are all on at the same time is when I turn the switch for the fog lamps on.

Are you sure about the emergency brake not being involved? I only ask because I recently finished my DRL mod and was curious how close it was functioning to stock. The service manual seems to say it is involved, and all the cars I've driven here with DRL always had it tied into the parking brake. I never could work out the exact reason why, but it seemed the standard implementation even across different manufacturers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
Sih-

The main purpose of the DRLs are to increase the visibility of the cars while traveling on the road. When the parking brake is engaged the car is obviously not moving and therefore the DRLs are not required.

-njjoe
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top